Thread: Strictly bowhunter

Default Strictly bowhunter

I was curious to see how many of us up here in Alaska are strictly bowhunters when it comes to big game? I know I am! Born and raised that way, I'm not necessarily against rifle hunting I just don't care for it my self too much. Any others like me around?

I was until my kids got into hunting. Rifle hunting is really the only way to get them started if they want to start young like my kids did. I will probably be back to strictly bowhunting after they leave the house.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My wife and I are. Haven't shot a gun at an animal for 10 years now. My harvest rates has fallen since I moved to Alaska but I keep at it and I will figure it all out some day. The reward is so much sweeter.

Count me in on bow only, unless we are hunting ducks.......

I am in that group. I learned awhile back that you have to leave the gun at home--too tempting to carry both on a hunt and in the heat of the moment grab that rifle for the big brown that is just outta bow range. Still keeping my varmint rifles for when I can find time for some wolf/coyote hunts--few and far between since moving back to Anchorage though.

I do both, but I prefer bowhunting any day of the week.

Nothing like drawing back on a beautiful animal that is standing only 30 yards away. Can't beat it

I have done both in the past but will likely be toteing a rifle for sheep this August. That being said, so far all of the animals I have taken in alaska have been with a bow (Grizz and moose). Sure would like to add a sheep to that, but for the money and time I am putting into this hunt I think I am going to increase my odds just a touch with the rifle. Maybe my second sheep hunt will be with a bow.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Absolutely love bowhunting, I'd much rather hunt with a bow than rifle, anyday. With that said, I like to have a freezer full of meat so if it comes down to it, bow or rifle its going down.

I get the same enjoyment out of both. Well, maybe 55/45 with a pinch gaining on the archery side... I feel deep down inside that with archery tackle, the reward is a little sweeter and a bit more satisfying. But all in all, I really really enjoy both styles. I plan on trying to fill my caribou permit in August with my bow even though it's not required.. I just think it would be fun. If it doesn't pan out, I'll go up again later in the season and take both weapons. Depends on how much time I have off for the second hunt, kinda like a suicide Red run but for caribou. A meat haul. But anyways, I don't care which method of taking, like I said. I really enjoy both. Maybe down the road I'll lean a little harder towards archery only, who knows..

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Maybe my second sheep hunt will be with a bow.
    That's what I love about the archery-only sheep tags - it forces me to leave the rifle at home. As it is, three of my four sheep have been taken inside of 35 yards...and no bow in hand!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I certainly enjoy bow hunting as much as the next guy, but I couldn't commit myself to be strictly a bowhunter. I spent waaaay to much $$ on all my rifles to use them for nothing more than punch holes in paper. I don't find that gratifying at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's what I love about the archery-only sheep tags - it forces me to leave the rifle at home. As it is, three of my four sheep have been taken inside of 35 yards...and no bow in hand!
    One of these days I will draw one of those! Would be awesome to go up behind the house and sheep hunt!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    One of these days I will draw one of those! Would be awesome to go up behind the house and sheep hunt!
    Yep I apply every year as well...though I am FAR from a strictly bow hunter I enjoy some of the longer seasons and what not they allow for me to be atleast still "sem-hunting" while I still have my bow in my pack as opposed to just hiking.

Bow only for almost 20 years. 3 years in AK. I do carry a 10mm here just to give the bear something crunchy to chew on.