Thread: Shrimping 101

Default Shrimping 101

Never shrimped before most likely because we never launched out of Whittier to fish But in a couple of weeks son and I am headed out to PWS to try to score a couple of blackies and will be sleeping on our boat.

Thought this would be a good time to try our hand at shrimping and plan on being within sight of our pots when we anchor for the night. Not looking for anyone's spot as we do not know where we will end up each night other than it will be between Whittier and Valdez.

We know nothing about how to shrimp. Plan on giving Steve a shout and buying maybe 2-3 pots and the rope and bait. Have a couple of buoys and know we need a permit. Plan on adding a Scotty Trap Eeze pot puller and connecting the rope to our Zodiac and pulling the pots up. Other than that we need some lessons.
    Do you connect all the traps to the same line?
    Do you set the traps on the bottom or do they hang in the water?
    What do you use for bait?

Any and all tips are appreciated.
    Tennessee

You will get lots of suggestions on how to shrimp here, but I'm not even going to try. By far the best thing to do is talk to Steve when you get the gear from him. He will teach you exaclty what to do.

Steep and Deep.......

Definitely what rob said. If you are going to get your pots from Steve, then get all of your line from him as well. He has it made up already to where you attach the pots... about 80 ft apart I believe. Other than that, put them on the bottom with enough scope to compensate for the tide swing. Bait, anything from cat food to dead fish. Remember your bouy's require appropriate markings on them which can be found on F&G's website. Good luck.

snowwolfe,

What I have found is laying pots on the rocks in 400-500 ft in what looks like steep rocky areas on my fishfinder. I only do 2 pots per string and it works fairly well for me. I did get my pots and bait also from steve and hes good to work with. sometimes I leave them down for only a few hrs and others may sit overnight.
    I have also tried cat food it worked ok, i don't think it works as well.
    it is lot of fun and you never know what you will bring up!

make sure you have your bouy(s) marked properly with all the information required listed on your shrimp permit and keep permit with you. I also keep a small cooler filled with ice to put the shrimp in.

have fun and good luck!

I'd be sure to get the shrimp bait from Donelson's or Steve. Often referred to as "Shrimp Crack". A squirt of herring oil in the bait cannister is a bonus.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Hooligan or herring works just as well as the pellets, it maybe won't soak as long if you get fleas. Pellets are definately easier to work with and my dog loves them!

Am I the only one that catches the shrimp in the mud/sand?

How do you plan to pull the pots up with the zodiac and the pot puller? Will you mount the puller on your main boat and then pull with the zodiac? That sounds a bit complicated - especially if the wind is blowing. If you have a decent size deck (or not) you can pull them up by hand in 10 minutes from 700 feet. My wife and I take turns pulling and coiling and it works fine with the scotty pulley.

You can run one or multiple lines. Benefit of multiple strings is that you can scout different areas and if you lose a string you only lose one pot...

I hand pull 3 or 4 on one string depending on how strong I am feeling when I set them!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Hooligan or herring works just as well as the pellets, it maybe won't soak as long if you get fleas. Pellets are definately easier to work with and my dog loves them!
    I have no way to prove it, but I think the pellets would put off a stronger scent trail.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

If you have a decent size deck (or not) you can pull them up by hand in 10 minutes from 700 feet.
    That's pretty much how I lost all interest in shrimping. 1.1 foot per second is a lot faster than I can pull. Your wife must have BIG arms.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    That's pretty much how I lost all interest in shrimping. 1.1 foot per second is a lot faster than I can pull. Your wife must have BIG arms.
    She might just start screaming "get those **** shrimp in the boat" and he works like a mad man..

How do you plan to pull the pots up with the zodiac and the pot puller? Will you mount the puller on your main boat and then pull with the zodiac?
    Put the Scotty EZ Puller in the rod holder and my son will put the rope on the pulley and hand it to be in the zodiac where I will tie it off to the boat and I'll put put away as the Suzuki 2.5 pulls up the pots. Worth a shot to try. Picked up the idea from "Spoiled One" post.

If it doesnt worth well my son likes to work out a lot
    Tennessee

Once I get to my first pot, I always start pulling the rest by hand and it sounds like the Scotty pot puller might be useful. But as long as the arm is on that thing, and the stress that's put on it because of it's lengh, does anyone worry about messing us their rod holder mount or gunwale?

:-) Her arms are soo big that you better hope she doesn't see your post!

Okay - maybe 15 minutes. I have never actually timed it, but it doesn't take that long and it isn't all that hard. Nothing a big strong Alaskan shouldn't be able to handle.

If it is calm out you should be able to pull them with your dinghy. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Once I get to my first pot, I always start pulling the rest by hand and it sounds like the Scotty pot puller might be useful. But as long as the arm is on that thing, and the stress that's put on it because of it's lengh, does anyone worry about messing us their rod holder mount or gunwale?
    The arm flexes pretty good when pulling and absorbs the shock. My mounts don`t move...no worries there.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I am interested in some shrimping as well. I want one of those brute pullers as I have a back injury that I know is going to keep me from pulling by hand. My question is would a Cannon Mag 10 electric downrigger pull a shrimp pot up with some shrimp in it? I am re-wiring mine right now and the motors in there look suspiciously like electric wiper motors..They run awfully quiet even with the motor side covers off.
    I hope this doesn't sound too stupid. I just can't afford a Brute puller this year.