Thread: using chains?

Default using chains?

I know lots of you use chains to hang your barrel. I was wondring what you use to tighten them to the tree? Is it some kind of binder like truckers use? I looked through the photo galleries and see that most cut 2 holes in the back of the drum kindof at a 10 and 2 oclock position but im wondering how you secure them to the tree.
    thanks
    Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    I know lots of you use chains to hang your barrel. I was wondring what you use to tighten them to the tree? Is it some kind of binder like truckers use? I looked through the photo galleries and see that most cut 2 holes in the back of the drum kindof at a 10 and 2 oclock position but im wondering how you secure them to the tree.
    thanks
    Hunter

A nice padlock works wonders.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I use a turnbuckle's and 2 chains one for the top and one for bottom you can put the can 2 to 3 feet off the ground. I can get it so tight you can not move it I can stand on top of it and jump up and down can move it a inch.. here is a link to a guy that has pictures of a keg with chain a turnbuckles you can see how strong it is.. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ors?highlight=
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Blackcat is right on the money. Turnbuckles are the only way to go. There are two kinds of turnbuckles you will find, one uses a wrench to tighten, one will have an opening you can stick something into to give you leverage when you turn. The key is as blackcat says, tighten it so tight that you can't get it to move no matter what. If you've ever seen what a large brown will do to a barrel you will know why. I was using 1/2" open hooks to hold mine one year and a brown bent them straight and pulled the barrel off. Luckily I found it about 50 feet away in some brush.

I always buy a few spares and keep them at the stand in case they get bent or broken.

ETA: If you don't know what a turnbuckle is, it's got either a hook or a loop at each end with a connector in the middle. You turn the connector and it will tighten (or loosen) each side at the same time. One side is Lefthand thread, the other is righthand thread so it can move both out or both in at the same time.