Thread: First Spring Bear Hunt. Lots of Questions?

FT Wainwright

Default First Spring Bear Hunt. Lots of Questions?

So I have taken the class for baiting Bear, now I'm in the process of cleaning out my 55 Gallon Metal barrel and getting it ready. This will be my first Blackie with my bow, I can only imagin the thrill, however being that this is my first time I welcome any and all critiques that any experienced AK hunter can offer. I'd rather seek info then now then go out unprepared. Is the Elliot Hwy a good place? Where do yall reccommend?

I wouldn't go too far with gas costing $4.00/gal. There are plenty of bears.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Kodiak, Ak

As it appears you are new to the forums, and maybe haven't used the Search button,...
    I'll suggest you plug in Bear Baiting.

Have you noticed the forum dedicated to Bear Stands and Baiting?
    You'll be reading the info you are seeking, For Days.....
    Probably one of the most discussed subjects on here.
    Have fun, and Good Hunting to ya
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

North Pole, Alaska

The elliot is baited HEAVILY and there is lots of private property along the way.

Kenai Peninsula

I no longer live in Fairbanks. But when I did, I would drive about 1-1/2 hours north up the Elliot highway. I stumbled across an existing bait site that had been abandoned. There was an existing tree stand large enough to put two lawn chairs. It was a great area. That was maybe 5 years ago. If you feel adventurous, I can give you the coordinates. There was a pipeline access road off the highway to the left. You park there (they have a barricade up) and go maybe 2-3 miles down the road. The trail (which was thick with brush) is on the left just past a grassy looking field type of area. It was (and likely stil is) a great spot. Not many people either. I only seen one other baiter on that road the entire 4 years I hunted it.