Thread: Big Susitna River to Willow

Default Big Susitna River to Willow

Wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes or how far it is to float from the Parks Highway Susitna bridge to Willow or Deshka landing.

Looks like quite a ways on a map but I am thinking about doing it.

Thanks
    Sam

No very long in the airboat Sam Lots of fast water from here to there.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Sam,
    You know I'm here all summer ,I have never seen anyone float downstream in 6 years only a jet boat going downstream to his lodge,There is a group of folks that put in up the parks hwy at hoonilua creek or however you spell it and float back down to the bridge. You should be all alone until Willow.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I'll hazard a guess. Must be about 50-60 miles from Sunshine to Deshka Landing, and the current probably flows 5-7 MPH. Figure 8-10 hours of actual moving time. I call that a two day float, but it depends on how you do it. On my float trips there is usually a lot of time spent floating without making progress.

I did float from Deshka Landing to the mouth once. From there we caught the incoming tide and with a small outboard floated to Ship Creek. I think we did most of the 40 miles or so of river in one day, with another day wasted fishing. We took one more day for Cook Inlet. But if the water is rough, plan on an extra day or two on the beach.