Thread: Halibut fishing MAY in Ninilchik

Default Halibut fishing MAY in Ninilchik

Got a charter on May 21st in Ninilchik; was wondering if I could get some insight on the halibut fishing then. Is it too early?
    Thanks!!!

Not too early at all. If it's a combo charter, you could also potentially get into some good saltwater king fishing then as well.

Some of the nicest fish I have caught were in May. They seem to move into the shallows then for some reason in Cook Inlet.

Thats a perfect time to be going. If kings do show that should be the peak. Hope for good weather and you should do good.

You should do just fine. I like fishing early for Halibut and the guys are right you may hit the Kings.
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

Thank you! I wish it was a combo now I may have to set up another trip while I'm there. I bought the groupon that was for sale the other day and scheduled it early to try and beat the rush.

I did some of my best fishing on a charter in May out of Ninilchik. In fact i think it was on the same date your talking about. Good luck and have fun.

I've had two great (and productive) trips out of Ninilchik in late May, dress for slightly cooler temps and enjoy.

Have fished twice in late May out of Ninilchik. Halibut fishing was great- landed alot, kept a few. The salmon (kings) trolling was very hit & miss. Wife did well- caught hers pretty quick. I had one, but a fellow boatmate / fisherman (I use that term VERY loosely!) decided he would show me (UNINVITED!!!!!!!!!!!) the proper way to hold my rod and his cigarette cut my line.

Not to try and hijack your thread but is there a place I could launch my 15' inflatable without having to pay for the tractor? I need to go catch a few butts... thanks everyone!

May is my favorite time to fish out of Deep Creek/Ninilchik. Don't always get the bigguns' but it sure is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Not to try and hijack your thread but is there a place I could launch my 15' inflatable without having to pay for the tractor? I need to go catch a few butts... thanks everyone!
    Launch your inflatable right in the creek at the Deep Creek campground. There's a boat ramp and everything. Launching after high tide is usually the best then come back when the tide is coming back in. I've done it many many times when i had my zodiac.

rob - so you fished for the whole tide swing?

I have put my 15 ft zodiac in at deep creek there are a few rocks to watch for as you round the corner.

Way back when there where no tractor launches at Deep Creek we used to use the river all the time. Go out 2-3 hours before high tide and come back 2-3 hours after. You will want to spend one day looking at the river to figure out how soon you can get out and how soon you need to come back in as it changes year to year. You will also want to take note of any big tide rips that kick up with the tide and get the lay of the river with the tide out. We used to have compass berrings to take to "hit" the river and not end up on the sand bars.
    With a zodiak you could probably float it out with waders on about 3 hours after low and drag it back in the same time... I should dig up some pictures of the banks of Deep Creek lined with boats... like 100 or so boats all lined up.
    You could also just drag the raft down to waters edge on the beach and launch it... many people do that as well.
    Last edited by JR2; 04-26-2011 at 22:22. Reason: more info...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default JR2, back in the day....

ah, back before the tractor launches, what a great spectator event. i remember sitting around the fire with you guys and red and mary and cowboy, watching jon boats flip in the surf... then having to go down and ask the poor soggy fishermen how they did...
    the tractors sure changed (read: destroyed) that little near-shore king fishery...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/