Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many hours on your EU2000

Default How many hours on your EU2000

We have over 2000 and its still going strong. The only thing other than changing oil (synthetic) is replace the pull rope. Change oil at 100hrs.

Hour meter quit working at 5500 hours about 2 years ago. Run our whole house off them, lights, fridge and freezer in summer, probably close to 8 hours a day. Bought another a few years back in case it burnt up, but only use it for power tools. Oil changes, a few plugs, pull rope is about to go, but hasn't. It will run on any gas. Can't even imagine why people would need a bigger one for home use. good thread.

I dont have an hourmeter, but we bought our EU2000 in 2002 or 2003 and have run it exclusively ever since. We are off the grid and run it about 6 hours per day in the winter and 2 hours per day in summer. So if you figure an average of 4 hours/day year round times eight years that would be almost 12,000 hours....I know, I don't believe it either!...and it still purrs like a cat and starts easy!!

I've replaced the recoil rope twice and change the oil about once a year (not nearly often enough). I think I've put one new plug in it and i clean the air filter once a year. The only real modification I've made is the one AKDoug suggested that keeps the motor from surging when running it in cold temps. It has not surged since I rerouted the Crankcase breather hose to the outside and plugged the inlet in the intake.

I bought a EU3000 to run my well pump twice a week and it blew a crank seal within 6 months. Go figure....i bought a backup EU2000 two years ago and have not needed to run it yet. Im hoping we get as much life out of it as the first one.

Tell me more about the mod that keeps it from surging. I thought it was carb ice but wasnt sure. Mine has a slit in the breather tube. I did get a companion last month for a back up and they sold me a breather heater(75.00) to install to protect the breather from iceing up and blowing the case seal.

Basically, I just drilled a 1/2" hole in the removable side panel. Disconnect the black breather hose from the intake and stick it out the hole in the side panel. Then plug the hole in the intake. I had a short chunk of an aluminum arrow (2215) with the tapered nock end that fit perfectly in the hole.

I have seen water droplets come out that hose onto the floor of my gen shed so i am sure that carb icing was the problem and re routing the hose fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Tell me more about the mod that keeps it from surging. I thought it was carb ice but wasnt sure. Mine has a slit in the breather tube. I did get a companion last month for a back up and they sold me a breather heater(75.00) to install to protect the breather from iceing up and blowing the case seal.
    Yes, please tell. I bought one 2 years ago. Prolly only have 200 hours, if lucky. More this year when we finish inside of cabin. Seems like I made a good choice
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Funny you should ask, cause when I get my EU2000 back from the dealer I am taking the 12 ga to it. Yeah been having problems and whenever I tell anyone their jaw drops cause these machines are known for being the best. Guess I oughta start at the beginning.

Bought 2 EU 2000's a little over two years ago, since then have run each max a total of 300 hours. Labeled them one and two and would alternate using them to keep the hours even. One of the generators had bad surging issues and I checked for everything. I checked for water in the gas (found some, not a lot) checked all the fuel lines, plug, oil, exhaust, everything I could think of and could find nothing wrong. Thought it might be an ignition problem but what do I know? With great reluctance took it to the dealer.

They call back half hour after a drop it off and say "we drained your oil and it is silver and has little metal shavings in it" (note: did not mention oil level as being too low or too high). They finally determine that the "crankshaft bearing spun in crankcase, camshaft worn" and I need a new "cylinder barrel assy, bearing and cam pulley" totaling $567.00. They say the cause of this is too much oil or too little oil i.e my fault. Dealer says they pleaded my case to Honda but no luck. I say plead again and they say well the Honda tech for the area will be in tomorrow and we will try again. I said is the crankcase vented they say yeah I say well if that is so then if their is too much oil in it it will shoot out the breather then right? Guy goes yeah I guess so. I say well that blows the "too much oil" theory out of the water now all your left with is "too little oil".

Anyway Honda tech looks at it and says still my fault but won't say it was b/c of too much oil this time. They say they will cover parts ($330.00) but not labor ($237). I am pissed of course so I call the 1800 number in the Honda manual and fight it out with the people on the phone. They say it is not warranty and the parts offering is a "goodwill offering". I wish now I would have said fine I'll take the parts in a box give me my generator back. Instead I mentioned something about small claims court and they rescinded their "goodwill offer". At the end they changed their tune to "Poor lubrication" though. Certainly wouldn't say "too much oil" caused the problem and wouldn't say " too little" either, just poor lubrication. I don't know what to do know. Just pissed about it and this is the perfect place to vent. Also funny dealer couldn't find prices for parts at first and I asked why. He says "they never had to order them before" Oh yeah my other Honda runs great, no problems with that one. Just a little research online and I found people saying they were getting 15,000 hours out of these machines, I got 300 maybe.

If I get mine back from the dealer I might sell it and the good one together and get a Yamaha instead just out of spite. So maybe someone will get a good deal out of this.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

The first one i got stopped running the first week, flew it back and they exchanged it. It was electrical. They did say(differant dealer) that if you blow the crank case seal because the breather freezes off its not covered. I found that a little strange but bought the breather heater to cover my ass.

billhicks, those machines have a low oil level alert, so the "running with too little oil" arguement don't fly. It kills the motor if the oil level gets low. I don't see how it would be your fault if the oil alert failed.

BTW,that oil alert is sometimes a pain in the a.ss when it is really cold, because the sensor tends to not recognize the oil until it warms up and thins out a bit.

pa18tony---I was told all about the breather heater but that wasn't really an issue here. Plus didn't they just come out with breather heater as a Honda accessory? Little late now or am I wrong on this???

dkwarthog---Believe you me I know all about the low oil alert light. And you are right on the money about it being a pain in the a.ss. And you are thinking just like I was cause I mentioned the low oil alert light and the Honda guy started right off saying (I forgot his exact wording here but it was a bunch a bee ess) how it was a feature but it was not responsible 100% for correct oil level. I think that is why they changed their story to "poor lubrication" and not just "low oil". He said if the unit was on unlevel ground the low oil alert light might not function properly.

Man they came up with every excuse under the sun. And always trying to throw it back on me? Did you run the unit in an enclosure sir? Why no I didn't. Oh well we just mention that because they can overheat if you do. All kinds of crazy things they tried to get me to say I was doing to the machine. I said look I know these machines are good units ( I have one that runs perfectly fine) and every Dick Tom and Harry has one and abuses it in all kinds of untold ways and they last forever. That is why I bought it in the first place. I could have bought a cheaper one but I bought the Honda for its reputation. Ah well the conversations with Honda did not go well but what can I say? If anyone has a similar experience about warranty issues or taking a large corporation to small claims court, I'd love to hear it. I am gonna take 'em to small claims just on principle at this point.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Not sure when they came out with the breather heater, last month when i picked up a companion i got the heater with the generator. The other one 3 years old has a slit in the breather like the cub.

About to buy either the Honda 2000i or the yamaha.

Anyone have experience with the Yamaha version?

I have a Yamaha EF 1000. 1500 hours so far. No problems yet.

Probably about 30 hrs on ours. We have a few neighbors with 2-4000 hrs on there's which convinced us to go with the Honda.
    Glad to hear they will run even longer than I anticipated.
    BK

I have the Honda 1000 and it is the best little generator around, bought it 3 years ago. Last summer, I put an electric fridge in my truck camper and traveled around Alaska for awhile. Used it for the fridge on the average of about 6 hrs. a day. I plan on getting 2000 for my new cabin I am building.

JOHN

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    About to buy either the Honda 2000i or the yamaha.

Anyone have experience with the Yamaha version?

I have got the Yammy 2k and love it.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I was in the repair shop yesterday with other equipment, I saw 4 2000 Honda's in for repair, I will ask what goes next time I am in, I was thinking of getting a 2000 or 3000 for the cabin.

Default Breather Hose

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I dont have an hourmeter, but we bought our EU2000 in 2002 or 2003 and have run it exclusively ever since. We are off the grid and run it about 6 hours per day in the winter and 2 hours per day in summer. So if you figure an average of 4 hours/day year round times eight years that would be almost 12,000 hours....I know, I don't believe it either!...and it still purrs like a cat and starts easy!!

I've replaced the recoil rope twice and change the oil about once a year (not nearly often enough). I think I've put one new plug in it and i clean the air filter once a year. The only real modification I've made is the one AKDoug suggested that keeps the motor from surging when running it in cold temps. It has not surged since I rerouted the Crankcase breather hose to the outside and plugged the inlet in the intake.

I bought a EU3000 to run my well pump twice a week and it blew a crank seal within 6 months. Go figure....i bought a backup EU2000 two years ago and have not needed to run it yet. Im hoping we get as much life out of it as the first one.
    Reviving an old thread. Had problems with my EU2000 this past weekend in the cold. I believe the problem is the breather hose freezing up. Looking at doing this mod but want to be sure I got the right hose. Is it the one I got my finger on in the pic below?

Honda 2000 Breather 2.jpg

yeah, that's it. pull it all the way out and off and pitch it. i don't even run mine in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by oka in ak View Post
    pull it all the way out and off and pitch it.
    Why pitch it? I still need the crankcase to breathe but don't want water or dirt to get in.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast