Thread: Newbe

Big Lake Alaska

Question Newbe

A friend of mine made the switch to recurves (sp)and he gave me his browning bow. I have never been bow hunting and want to learn.

Can you steer me in the right direction to have the bow checked out/tuned up. Then where can I go to learn the ends and outs of bow hunting?

Later I want to get my certification so I can do the ultimate hunt!

1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469

North Dakota

Default welcome!

Bowhunting, you will find, is like no other hunting. Nothing is more exciting than having to get within very close proximity to your game. Be ready for disappointment, personal ridicule, and a challenging hunt. Outside of a caribou I took on the haul road at 62 yards, the longest shot I had placed on an animal 'till then was 17 steps. When your bowhunting, you tend to be more cautious, more aware of your surroundings, and more in-tune to wind direction, shadowing, camouflage, etc.

IMO, the first thing you need to do is get the bow and yourself to a reputable archery dealer. Have them measure your draw length, and make sure the bow you acquired is within those parameters. Have them set draw length, rest center, nock levelness, peep placement (assuming you will use one). Try different types of release aids and sights. Have them give you pointers on draw form and releasing the arrow (most dealers I've found are very willing to help a new shooter, if they aren't DO NOT do business with them). New shooters are future/current sales, if they dont' see it that way, they are not worth your time. If you acquire a bad habit (tilting the bow, inconsistent release, no-follow through) early on, it's hell to try and break later. A properly fit/tuned bow is an accurate bow. Acquired, hand-me-down, bows are NOT a one-size fits all regarless of whether the person was your size or not.

Get a dozen arrows (that are recommended for your bow's poundage and let-off), a quality target... then practice, practice, practice. A bow hunt isn't the "go to the range a week before the hunt, sight-in, and your ready" type of hunt. Once your pretty good at flat known yardage shooting (start out 10-40 yards). Learn to judge yardage from NON-LEVEL ground. Practice shooting uphill, downhill, across depressions or ditches (anything that will make judging distance harder). A rangefinder is great, but being able to judge yardage without one is a skill you should want to master (you may not always have the time/opportunity to get out the rangfinder in a hunting situation). Practice shooting from a kneeling position (you'll have to qualify at one target this way with ADF&G)

Take the bowhunter certification course that ADF&G offers. Don't worry about passing the qualification course. It's good info. and experience to a beginner regardless of passing or not. If you've practiced enough, the course is easy.

I'm sure I've left out something.... other posters will fill this void I'm sure. Good Luck and have fun. It can be discouraging at times, but is worth it once you connect on your game.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Mile 102 Glenn Highway

Fletchers Archery in Wasilla is a good place to start. I have had very good luck dealing with them. I think that they run a very good shop. They have an indoor range where you can shoot. Be warned that bow hunting can be addicting.

Default Personal Endeavor

Bowhunting is a very personal endeavor. No one but you can effectively tune up your bow for you. Try and learn all you can from local shops, your friend you acquired the bow from and use the wealth of information out there in books in videos. AKNDRES above gave a lot of solid advise. Best way to get proficient with a bow is to get out there and shoot it! Good luck!