Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jammed bolt w/ handload

Default Jammed bolt w/ handload

I have a Winchester Model 70 300wm that has a jammed bolt with a hand load in the chamber.
    Buddy and I were at the range sighting in for a bear hunt. Well he threw in a hand load in my Win300 cycled the bolt forward and now it's jammed. Then cranking back in the bolt handle it decided to snap off. Now we have a broken bolt that's jammed in the receiver. We did everything we could think of, oiled the bolt, down the barrel, and lightly tapped the bolt with a punch and hammer. No joy...
    Anyone out there have any ideas?
    I called Winchester and they pretty much stated the obvious, take it to a gunsmith ( don't have one in Sitka), get the round out and send it back to Winchester due to the broken bolt.
    here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The safety is fully off, is there a unfired cartridge in the chamber........???

Dig a hole in the backyard and bury it. Chock it up to experience and be thankful no one was injured.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I am not a gunsmith, and I don't want you to think of my ideas as though I am qualified or competent to advise you, because I am NOT. This is a potentially extremely dangerous undertaking.

If I understand correctly, the reloaded cartridge was too large to fit into the chamber all the way, and the bolt didn't close all the way down before the jam occurred. (So pulling the trigger wouldn't make the rifle fire). If that is the case, then here are some ideas:

Iit sounds like you may need a new bolt no matter how you approach the problem, so-----you might ask a good welder to weld the handle back on the bolt body with a TIG welder and lots of caution and cooling around the chamber area, making sure the barrel is pointed toward something a bullet can't penetrate or ricochet off (five gallon pail of sand?). If he does really well, it might even fix the rifle permanently. He will need to analyze where the weld is to assure that the weld will not prevent the bolt from coming out of the action. Then you will just have to hold the action rigidly in a big vise with protective jaws or maybe leather to keep from scarring the action, and drive the bolt open by holding a piece of wood on the bolt knob and hammering on the wood toward open bolt. The bolt handle may have been silver soldered on originally--look on Google and see if you can determine the original method of attachment. That will help your welder decide how to proceed.

First and foremost, be extremely careful with each move you make. That rifle isn't worth a serious injury of any kind.

Regards,
    Jim

Got a barrel wrench?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I think Andy is right. If it is an unfired round, you should still be good to wrench the barrel off. Just make sure the muzzle is still pointed in a safe direction when you do it. Then you can work out the bolt issue and get the handle rewelded into place.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Got a barrel wrench?
    Though you might accomplish getting the bolt out in several ways, that's the best way IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Whatever you do, do NOT insert a rod in the barrel and pound on the end of the rod.

People have died and recvd serious injuries.

I donít know if you can remove the barrel completely or not, I think model 70s may have an extractor cut in the barrel that would prevent full removal. However if you have wrench you could at least brake it loose and maybe free the bolt to get the round out. What you have is a real predicament with the live round in there and needs to be made safe. I could get it apart but I hastate to give advice beyond this because itís a dangerous deal and a small misunderstanding could go badly.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you can get some good penetrating oil, you could pour some down the barrel and into the breach area, let it soak in, then carefully tap with a hammer what remains of the bolt stub, driving it with a cold chisel or stout screw driver.

Let us know how it goes. Can you even move the safety to safe? Doing anything without getting the safety engaged is super dangerous.

TAKE IT DIRECTLY TO A GUNSMITH, This isn't a time to be listening to internet know it alls. Let a professional get the loaded round out of the chamber then deal with fixing the bolthandle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Builder View Post
    TAKE IT DIRECTLY TO A GUNSMITH, This isn't a time to be listening to internet know it alls. Let a professional get the loaded round out of the chamber then deal with fixing the bolthandle.
    Well thatís fine info but just how does he do that? The man is in Sitka where there are no gunsmiths with a loaded gun he can't unload so how does he get it to a smith? This internet know it all seem to be wiser than you give credit and is now intrigued how you solve the actual problem now that you hopefully understand what it is.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

CtP,
    PM sent with references.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

fOR LIABILITY REASONS, iM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT, EXCEPT TO SAY ONE POSTER HERE HAS THE RIGHT IDEA.

There is now way in heck that bolt handle should have snapped off if you were just using arm/hand strength. How much effort was applied to the bolt handle to get it stuck in the first place?

If it were my gun I would consider the bolt worthless now anyway....right? A knew bolt is going to require some headspace work...maybe not but probably.

If you didn't apply anything extra to the bolt to gain leverage...a pipe, etc. or you didn't beat on it with a hammer etc., but rather just grabbed it with your hand and broke it off........then it is Winchesters problem as far as I'm concerned!

I can't imagine screwing up a reload bad enough to stick so tight as to break a bolt handle. Without seeing it my mind wants to think that the bolt handle was cracked or flawed.

It needs a smith!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    It needs a smith!
    You bet it does but how does he get it to a smith? Living in Alaska you learn fast that they donít cover primary shipping in the warrantee . . . so they arenít stuck flying a smith out to someplace in remote fly in only Alaska to unload a rifle in order that it can be flown out to be worked on.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Brownells sells a Model 70 action wrench for $115 new extractor, (you're goiing to break the old one getting the barrel off) new breech bolt assy $313.50 (2008 catalog price) requires gunsmith installation. plus shipping charges, downtime etc.
    Theres still the chance of torquing the action while trying to unscrew the barrel, not to mention marring the barrel, and god knows what else can go wrong. including having the round go off and hurting someone.
    If it were me, I'd toss it in the ocean, sell off the stock for a couple bucks go buy a new rifle and chalk it up to experience.

IF the bolt is fully unlocked, and you can determine that by looking at it from the bottom of the action. Then you can simply drive the bolt to the rear. Use a long nylon or brass punch and give it a couple whacks to the rear and it should pop loose. Have the barreled action vised up tight and pointed in a safe direction. Wear eye and ear protection. If the bolt is unlocked, it is mechanically not possible for the firing pin to go forward. Also, you are prevented from applying the safety in a model 70 with the bolt handle in anything but the locked position. Can't tell from the photo, but if it was here I'd most likely have it out in about 5 or 10 minutes. Over the years I've done a number of these in different actions, not just Winchesters. The handle is repairable, not a big deal, I rather doubt you need a new bolt. Wish you were in Fairbanks.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

gunbugs

As always sound advice given with reason. Thank you for contributing to this forum and my knowledge.
    Afflicted by condition human

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    gunbugs

As always sound advice given with reason. Thank you for contributing to this forum and my knowledge.
    Yup...ditto gunbugs!

Is it common for those bolt handles to break off? Ya got me skeared....I have 3 of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast