Thread: White manes on caribou

Default White manes on caribou

I'd like to hunt the western arctic caribou herd after their manes turn white. Does anyone know when that is? The first half of September is when I was planning to go. Am I safe with that time?
    Thanks,
    Mike

Sadly the whitening of their manes is commensurate and directly proportionate to the Rut. Closer to Rut, the whiter the mane...same is true with the polishing and development of the antlers. You should find a suitable cape and set of antlers though, during the timeframe you have chosen. Optimum timeframe imo, is the last week of Sept...acceptable meat and good antlers and capes.
    Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I 2nd that. Last week of September for sure..

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    I 2nd that. Last week of September for sure..
    For so many reasons:
    Fall colors of the landscape
    Fewer Bugs/Flies
    Cooler tempertures
    Herd congregations
    Increased animal movement
    And...it actually feels like Hunting Season!!!
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    For so many reasons:
    Fall colors of the landscape
    Fewer Bugs/Flies
    Cooler tempertures
    Herd congregations
    Increased animal movement
    And...it actually feels like Hunting Season!!!
    One thing to consider, however, is that depending on where you are hunting, you run a higher risk of the meat quality beeing poor due to the rut. In many areas, the 2nd week of September is still good for meat and you will still get the nice white manes, but if you push too much longer, you increase the risk of "rank" meat or at least meat that isn't quite as edible as it normally would be. Just throwing that out there for consideration.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    One thing to consider, however, is that depending on where you are hunting, you run a higher risk of the meat quality beeing poor due to the rut. In many areas, the 2nd week of September is still good for meat and you will still get the nice white manes, but if you push too much longer, you increase the risk of "rank" meat or at least meat that isn't quite as edible as it normally would be. Just throwing that out there for consideration.
    Absolutely True
    But by watching the herd bulls for a few minutes, it really isn't hard to judge which is in full rut!!! NEVER NEVER NEVER shoot a Bull Caribou, IF you can see the whites of his eyes...
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    We'll be north of Coldfoot after the western arctic herd. Looks like the advice so far is between the 2nd week and 4th week of September. I was hoping the color change/rut would start earlier since it's further north.