Thread: 8.1 vs New 6.2 550 HP supercharged

Default 8.1 vs New 6.2 550 HP supercharged

Hi everyone new to the forum
    I want to know if i should go with a GM Marine 8.1 levator motor or the new 6.2 550 HP supercharged all aluminum block 20 ft boat will be hauling lot of weight.

Any body know about the 632 GM putting out 750 HP and what that going for price wise

Thanks

Me I Would Use The 8.1 If You Can Find One With Out Getting Bent Over. They Have Lots Of Low End Torque, The All Aluminum Block Motors Are Hard To Get The Engine Temp Up They Tend To Run Cool And If You Over Heat Them, Thats Another Story

look up GTO Airboats. they are selling mas motors with two year warranty. talk to Kieth at GTO. before you buy anything run it by skip olsen on this forum. hes been in a couple of rodeos before!!!!

I donít have an answer for you, what I do know is the best engine for any airboat is one that is design for airboating by some one who builds airboat engines. Go to the web site Southern airboat and looked up all the information on Felber he is consider the best engine builder for big blocks. Heís not cheep.

Donít just look @ 550hp or 750hp look at everything prop, reducer ratios, size of boat, and what you want the boat to do.

Timber, The PCM 8.1 was awesome. The L92 Mast Motor is awesome it's 550H.P. but it's not supercharged.
    We have 4 8.1's left in house but not really wanting to sell them to be honest. They are good as Gold Bars! :-)

I would be happy to give you engine advice any time at 409-920-0716. We have engines with 1 and 2 year warranty's. I would not reccommend the 632 at all from GM. We have blown up several of GM's 572's also they don't seem to hold up.
    Please call me I can save you money.
    Faron Floyd
    Vice President
    American Airboat Corp
    airboatcapt2@aol.com
    409-920-0716 Cell
    1-800-241-6390 Office
    www.americanairboats.com
    "The Quality Remains long after the Price is Forgotten!

Default Fuel consumption

Thanks for the replys
    What can I expect for fuel consumption with the 8.1 on a 20 ft boat loaded with 2500 lbs full throttle
    Also just going fishing with the family of 4 with gear tent ect at say just cruising

Thanks

Just curious, who is making 8.1 blocks since GM discontinued them?
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Airboatcapt2 View Post
    We have 4 8.1's left in house but not really wanting to sell them to be honest. They are good as Gold Bars! :-)
    Man ,I'll have to raise the price of my boat :-)
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!