Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunt.. dont leave home with out it ?

Default Sheep hunt.. dont leave home with out it ?

Planning my first sheep hunt, so I am a rookie, have read and took notes, what things do you just never leave home with out? Besides the essentials. what are the tricks to get out of a bind when your 20 miles in and not blow the hunt with that missing ....

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
    Planning my first sheep hunt, so I am a rookie, have read and took notes, what things do you just never leave home with out? Besides the essentials. what are the tricks to get out of a bind when your 20 miles in and not blow the hunt with that missing ....
    If you are in the Fairbanks area I could show you some gear and chat.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't claim to be some sort of expert sheep hunter, but I do spend a fair amount of time (often 100+ days/yr) in the field for work and play. I've forgotten darn near everything in my pack at some point. Very rarely does a single gear item ruin or save a trip. Based on my experience, the critical things to bring are:

1. Attitude - "Never-say-Die"

2. Backcountry Experience

3. Patience - You don't want to take stupid risks and get hurt, or alternatively get frustrated and go home early.

Those three items + warm clothing will keep you in the field. And being able to stay in the field is critical to closing the deal on a hunt.

Yk

Go slow and think things through. Don't be in a big huff to get something done or go somewhere. Don't go up/down the mountain when it's snowing and the fog is practically on the ground.....

Other than that take alot of pictures and have fun
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Always have First Aid supplies for your feet!!
    mole skin, bandages, etc..

I am in North Pole and that would be great! thanks

glow sticks! put one on your tent & good way to find camp in low light. make a list of equipment you will take & go over it 3 times the few days before your hunt, carry a leatherman tool , water proof matches & 100' of mule tape. don't get pissed if you blow the first stalk & just try to have fun. good luck on your upcoming hunt jonnyb

thanks for all your info

input of attitude and patience, great reply, from what I have read i can see how you could get the blinders on and not think things through properly and get yourself in trouble. foot meds definetley.

thanks again to all

jonnyb

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    glow sticks! put one on your tent & good way to find camp in low light. make a list of equipment you will take & go over it 3 times the few days before your hunt, carry a leatherman tool , water proof matches & 100' of mule tape. don't get pissed if you blow the first stalk & just try to have fun. good luck on your upcoming hunt jonnyb
    If I do happen to blow the stalk, which very well could happen, regroup think of what went wrong and correct it for next attempt. I will have a smile because I know how many people would love to be doing the same thing I am. I'm excited. gonna go look over my gear again!

Good points so far but the biggest deal breaker for me has been taking the right buddy along. A good hunting partner is extremely hard to find and taking the wrong person can ruin a hunt. If you and your buddy have the right mindset to be successful everything will work out.

OF course being successful doesn't always end with a sheep on the wall. Good luck!

Fullfreezer, sorry to say but I don't bring any of those items and would say they are unessential really. How about a good communication for something to bring. Establish communication before, durring, and after you hunt to ensure everyone within your circle of influence knows when and if to react. Communicate with your hunting partner, establish good goals and adjendas (sp?). Be the hunting partner you'd want to have with you.

Gear wise.....Pack, Boots, water, food, shelter, rifle, comms, optics....GO!

what works for one might not work for another.

I agree essential vs functional are certainly two different things. Lets think about this for a minute...Glow sticks, matches, cord, and leatherman.
    Glow Sticks.....Ok in a emergency kit. Not a bad idea to have but I'm thinking I'd rather use it by attaching to my busted up body right before I pass out so the helo can locate me when cruising around with night vision goggles. Even better is a battery powered strobe, thats what I use.
    Matches....never. I choose to use a storm proof lighter. Sometimes I just leave that behind and utilize my Jetboil for lighting things. A road flare is really nice for starting fires too. It all depends on how high I'm climbing on a particular trip.
    Cord......not bad but unessential. The way I figure if I really need cord I'll just savage it off my tent guy lines. Never wanted for it in all my trips. Unless you count climbing rope.
    Leatherman....not bad for lowland, boat, wheeler, and sled hunting. For a sheep hunt it's staying home.

I'd honestly say one thing thats essential when humping sheep country is good nutrition. Get yourself figured out and eat for long sustained performance. Now thats something you can and will use in the OP's situation. If your not eating well motivation dwindles.

The OP wanted to talk about essentials when way back in Sheep Country. A light weight sleep system is really crucial. If you can travel and sleep near the rams your much better off than returning back to a base camp.

My boss used to tell a pretty funny story about a good friend of his. He was doing a bow hunt for elk down in the states somewhere. Apparently he spent the better part of the day hiking up some big hill or mountain. Then he got to a point where he could see where he parked his truck. Just for the hell of it he put his binoculars on the truck and thought for a minute that someone had been messing with it. There was something leaning on the side of it. After a few minutes of careful study, he realized that it was his bow!

I always like to have the pages from the regs for the area I am in. I like to double check things and you never know, you might be on a hunt for one species when something else presents itself. I put those pages along with my license, permit (if applicable), driver's license, and a little cash in a large ziploc bag. I tuck these into a compartment on my pack that is sized perfectly for it. I also always carry a few extra batteries for whatever I have along like flashlight, GPS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    I agree essential vs functional are certainly two different things. Lets think about this for a minute...Glow sticks, matches, cord, and leatherman.
    Glow Sticks.....Ok in a emergency kit. Not a bad idea to have but I'm thinking I'd rather use it by attaching to my busted up body right before I pass out so the helo can locate me when cruising around with night vision goggles. Even better is a battery powered strobe, thats what I use.
    Matches....never. I choose to use a storm proof lighter. Sometimes I just leave that behind and utilize my Jetboil for lighting things. A road flare is really nice for starting fires too. It all depends on how high I'm climbing on a particular trip.
    Cord......not bad but unessential. The way I figure if I really need cord I'll just savage it off my tent guy lines. Never wanted for it in all my trips. Unless you count climbing rope.
    Leatherman....not bad for lowland, boat, wheeler, and sled hunting. For a sheep hunt it's staying home.

I'd honestly say one thing thats essential when humping sheep country is good nutrition. Get yourself figured out and eat for long sustained performance. Now thats something you can and will use in the OP's situation. If your not eating well motivation dwindles.

The OP wanted to talk about essentials when way back in Sheep Country. A light weight sleep system is really crucial. If you can travel and sleep near the rams your much better off than returning back to a base camp.
    To the OP. Bighorse obviously has all the answers and his experiences should translate to yours. Just talk with him and he'll set you straight. Don't bother with anybody other opinions.

What I'm trying to say is everybody should figure out what works for them, what they need and what they feel comfortable with. Great thing about this forum is you will find no shortage of opinions. Gather all the info, make your decision.

Personally I say if you want to get out of a bind 20 miles in, make sure you have your sat phone on your body, and lots of water, and some moleskin and a power bar or two.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Rangefinder.

The first sheep hunt I ever did I missed my ram.. I estimated that he was about 325 yards away and after two or three missed shots he disappeared.
    The next year I had a rangefinder with me and I checked that exact spot for distance.
    It was 550 yards exactly point to point where I missed that full curl ram.
    I couldn't believe I could misread distance that bad but I did. Sheep country can be deceiving, especially shooting across draws or canyons.

There are many important items in my pack but I never hit the high country without a rangefinder.
    Proud to be an American!

If you think you need it, you probably don't. If you know you need it, you do.

Glowsticks - no.
    Matches - maybe, but very few.
    Rangefinder - maybe - get familiar with the subtension of your scope reticle (i.e. inches from fat part of duplex to horizontal hair at 100 yards) and do the math from there. It's a fair estimate. Sheep/deer body will go 18" tall or so.

You can only carry so much. Take only what's required to feed/shelter/clothe yourself, fix your wounds and illnesses, spot game, kill game, pack game, care for game cape and meat, and if you care, summon help.

you guys have your point's but I'm not trying to argue here, my first dall sheep hunt was at the age of 15yrs old I was not prepared at all, I had a pack,a sleeping bag,1 knife,a visqueen tarp, 1 pound of m&m's, 2 pounds of beef jerky, small thng of peanut butter, water bottle, rain gear,coat & a spotting scope. not a smart or prepaired hunt looking back but I made it & harvested my first dall ram. Now last year My wife & I went out. packed the things I listed & had to use them, it made her first Dall harvest possible. my loaded pack was 56#'s & her's 45#'s heading up the hill & mine will be heavyer yet with me bring my bow to try. you all are entitled to your hunting beliefs & thoughts. I was just trying to give some ideas... JonnyB-mentall toughness will be your greatest challange & asset. I wish you a safe hunt & good time. that goes for everyone else too.

A lot of people have spoken highly of trekking poles...

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Don't bother with anybody other opinions.
    Really, what this guy said, since nobody else here has killed sheep or gone sheep hunting
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast