Thread: limits of 9.9 4 stroke

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default limits of 9.9 4 stroke

I really want a 9.9 4 stroke to push the new 34 foot x 11 foot boat, but I feel it might not be enough engine, anyone have a 9.9 on a 30 plus for trolling?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Jeff, I have a 22' with a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust and sometimes wonder if its enough for my trolling needs. On good days its fine, but with a little breeze, staying at a certain mph is tough, and when I want to turn quick sometimes it takes a bit to kick me around. I really can't complain too much, it has been a great motor but I think your going to have to go quite a bit bigger hp for your new boat (which is beautiful might I say). A couple of guides I know that are running twin outboards on a 30' plus boat are running a 30-40 hp in between the twins. At least one with a 50 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Jeff, I have a 22' with a 9.9 Yamaha high thrust and sometimes wonder if its enough for my trolling needs. On good days its fine, but with a little breeze, staying at a certain mph is tough, and when I want to turn quick sometimes it takes a bit to kick me around. I really can't complain too much, it has been a great motor but I think your going to have to go quite a bit bigger hp for your new boat (which is beautiful might I say). A couple of guides I know that are running twin outboards on a 30' plus boat are running a 30-40 hp in between the twins. At least one with a 50 hp.
    Wow! 30-40hp! thanks, DANG!
    www.kodiakcombos.com

yeah, I think a 9.9 on a 34x11 fiberglass is going to be too small for all practical purposes. Like stated above I would look at getting a 30hp or so, I don't know what the different brands have as far as a high thrust option in that hp range, but that is what I would be looking for
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I have a 9.8 hp Tohatsu on my 27 foot boat. It's a long shaft, but not high-thrust. Anyway, I discovered that with any kind of wind the little engine just does not have enough prop in the water to keep the boat on track. I am constantly adjusting the tiller via the PowrSteer ram.

I think, after this experience, my next trolling engine will need to be at least a 25 hp...

I think you better get more opinions on this. Here are my thoughts.
    Unless you have enought HP to put the boat on plane you are only going to go hull speed.
    I have a 24ft Skipjack, it is a heavy deep v.
    I had a 25hp Merc for a trolling motor for a few years. It would only push the boat 5-6 knots.
    Now I have a 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust and it pushes the boat 5-6 knots.
    Ken (Tiderunner)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    Unless you have enought HP to put the boat on plane you are only going to go hull speed.
    I had a 25hp Merc for a trolling motor for a few years. It would only push the boat 5-6 knots.
    Ken (Tiderunner)
    Do you notice any difference in the ability to control the boat in strong winds using the 9.9 vrs the 25?

In winds over 25knts. both engines were not good.
    No real control.
    If my main engine is down and the wind is high I have to 1/4 or go with the wind and swell.
    When I am fishing and the wind is high I use my main engine.
    Ken (Tiderunner)

I had another thought about this.
    When I bought my boat in 1993 I installed the 25hp Merc for a kicker motor.
    My previous boat was 20 footer with a 15hp kicker.
    The kicker would only push that boat 5-6-nts.
    I thought a 25hp motor would give me more speed when I broke down and had to get home. This is when I finally understood hull speed.
    I had to control the throttle and steering on both the 15 & 25hp motors at the motor.
    Now I have the 9.9 and I use an E-Z steer and control the throttle at the helm.
    My auto pilot will also control the 9.9.
    Last year I broke down at the Barron Is. My main motor fuel pump quit.
    The wind was 15-20knts in my face going home. I had good steering control and held 5knts.
    Having the EZ Steer, helm control and autopilot makes a difference.
    Maybe if I had these controls on the 25hp motor it would have improved performance.
    Ken (Tiderunner)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiderunner View Post
    Ken (Tiderunner)
    I agree that a 25 probably won't push the boat any faster than a 9.9 would, but when you are running with a kicker it isn't about speed, it's more about hp and torque to keep control of the boat. Think about this, you have a diesel truck and a gas truck, both trucks can go the same speed, but the diesel has more horsepower and torque which leads to better load control. Of course these are just my thoughts, not saying it is the absolute right thing
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

The 8, 9.9, and 15 horse motors that are designed as kicker motors (high thrust, bigfoot, the elephant eared yamahas, etc.) work well because of two things:

1. appropriate gearing
    2. low pitch props with high blade area

Most/all other outboards between the 15 horsepower class and the 50 horsepower class are designed to power planing boats. The gearing and available props are suited to running at speed. Take that motor and strap it on a boat too big for it to plane, and it will be overpropped at best and prone to cavitating at worst. With the smaller kickers you know you're getting that engine power converted to thrust.

There are a few 50-70hp motors designed for pushing pontoon boats, and these have low gearing and big props. That's getting kind of big though.

One option that sounds a bit weird but I've seen done before - run two kickers, one on each stern corner. I've seen this done on big glass boats down in Puget Sound that are rigged for salmon trolling. Dual binnacle remote controls and steering mounted in the cockpit on the cabin bulkhead. No question that would keep you trolling straight in pretty heavy weather. 25" shafts and prop guards.

Your Roamer is a pretty big boat. It would likely perform fine with a single 8-15 hp kicker, but only in pretty calm conditions.

Thanks everyone, Monday I will be adding the 5 inch extension to the 15hp 4 stroke with a high thrust prop, linking the motor to the volvo drive via ez steer, arc&spark will be making stability poles, I,ll be cutting the full swim step to accomodate the panther 16 inch mounting plate.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

yama F15 long shaft with 5 inch bay manufacturing extension is steered by EZ steer and throttle is controled by panther digi troll, this stup works great on the 34 roamer. Now I just need to drive over some kings!
    www.kodiakcombos.com