Thread: alexander lake pike

Default alexander lake pike

My dad is coming up this summer. I think it would be fun to fly out to Alexander lake for the day and fish for pike. I have never done this before. I looked around a little bit and the only ones I see that do this is Rust's and Willow Air. Is one better than the other? What about the fishing? I have never fished for pike before. It would be in mid July. Thanks for any info.

both Rusts and Willow are long time reputable air taxis.. Altho most any thing flashy will attract pike, to enjoy the total pike experience you need to use some top water lures... a rubber mouse, or frog, or if you can find one, a mouse made out of hollow deer hair... lite tackle is best, but medium will work... Enjoy...

After 3 trips there this is what I think:
    1. Take lots of wire leaders; 6" will be fine, not too heavy (12-15 lb test fine)
    2. Cheap spinning rods with 12 lb line fine (lake WILL be weedy, more than you can imagine that time of year)
    3. Big fish close to shore, cast lures into/onto pads, weed beds
    4. Take Johnson silver minnow weedless spoons (unbeatable first trip)
    topwater frogs, mice, spinner baits; all rigged weedless (unbeatable 2nd trip); not as good a hookup ratio as hard lures
    Cabela's Mad Tommy frogs; rigged weedless; (unbeatable 3rd trip)
    Herring if you want to kill fish (you should); toss one out with a bobber
    5. Do you know how to clean/fillet a pike removing the "y" bones? if not, learn before you go! this is important
    6. We were encouraged by ADFG to keep as many small pike as possible; check regs, we kept about 60 or so each trip below 19"
    7. We released the big ones (biggest was 42" i believe)
    8. Heard about nuts mosquitoes but think I got one bite for 3 trips out there, still took mosquitoe suit every time.
    9. Be ready for a slime-fest if you're gonna keep fish
    10. Trail Ridge was the best. Don't know if they still go out there; they had the best boat and coolest personnel
    Good luck, any more questions please post or pm me.
    Jim
    ps---take gun or bear spray; had very interested blacks swimming to us while fishing.

It's a fun lake to fish.
    Keep pliers handy, needle sharp teeth. Treat nicks or cuts with some kind of antiseptic as soon as you can.
    Don't pick them up with finger in the gills (or should I say razors) I was always told to pick them up by the eye sockets, it works.
    Get the big ones in by a vice like grip right behind the gills (or a net if you have one) they're slimy & slippery.
    Don't jerk when the wake is closing in on the bait, close your eyes just as you see the fish's wake getting close & wait for the tug.
    Don' dangle lures over the side of the boat close to the water, they'll take it all.
    Alexander Lk is one of the few places with bag/size limits for pike, check regs.
    I think both outfits have boats there, not sure if they supply motors, electric trolling motor is nice.
    Like said, weedless lures are nice, surface or metal. Fly rod is a blast & long enough you can dangle lures in the thick stuff.
    Know you'll have fun.

A good read:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...rthernPike.pdf

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Mudbuddy, straight from the regs:
    Live release of northern pike
    prohibited
    In the freshwaters of West
    Cook Inlet and Susitna River
    drainage, anglers are not
    allowed to release live pike
    back into the water. Pike not
    retained for personal use may
    be disposed of through lawful
    and safe methods, including
    returning dead pike to the
    water.

As far as I could tell, the only rules specific to Alexander apply to ice fishing and no retention of rainbows.

BigJim, thanks for the tips.

can you take a shallow water boat up to alexander lake from the big su?

It better be a VERY shallow water boat, and even then, your are gambling on water level. Some parts are literally 3-4 inches deep across. Its also about a 30-40 mile boat ride from the mouth to the lake, and most of it is sharp "S" turns.

So just wondering why one can use up to 5 poles ice fishing but as far as I know only 1 pole at a time in the soft water season.For Pike. I grew up where fishing at least 2 poles was always done . For pike it would be nice to have some herring soaking while throwing what ever you like at them. Just thinking every hook set would help.

Spend $5 on one of these to go with your needle nose: http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/car...MouthSpreaders

Make that $10 and buy a spare for when you drop it over.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quote Originally Posted by 907north View Post
    can you take a shallow water boat up to alexander lake from the big su?
    I had my 21' Thunderjet up to Sucker creek. I stopped because of fuel getting low and the fact that I had to do a three point turn to turn around. Be careful if you camp on the beaches, lots of blackies. The shallow water didn't bother me as much as the occasional rock garden. Comeing back down was very intense due to the sharp corners and me having to go 26mph to stay on step. It is a very fun trip and doable with a 18' flat bottom or simular. above suck and close to the lake you have to watch out for BIG rocks and lots of weeds if you decide to make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    Mudbuddy, straight from the regs:
    Live release of northern pike
    prohibited
    In the freshwaters of West
    Cook Inlet and Susitna River
    drainage, anglers are not
    allowed to release live pike
    back into the water. Pike not
    retained for personal use may
    be disposed of through lawful
    and safe methods, including
    returning dead pike to the
    water.

As far as I could tell, the only rules specific to Alexander apply to ice fishing and no retention of rainbows.

BigJim, thanks for the tips.

Haven't read this years regs. Good change. Was that you had to turn big ones back, hoping they'd eat the little ones I think.
    I hear they (F&G) are spending lots of money to drastically reduce pike in the Su drainage this year. They have their work cut out for them. Several places I used to catch salmon & rainbow on the Su no longer fishable unless you are after pike.
    Just read pike rules 2011. "Kill the bustards!" I think is what they are saying.
    2011 pike rules: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Booked my flight today. Time to hit the vise.

Regulations changes affecting Susitna River pike fisheries
     The size limit for northern pike on Alexander Lake is repealed. Anglers may use five lines through the ice, and may now use bow-and-arrow and spear to take northern pike with no bag, possession, or size limit, year round.  In the Susitna River drainage, including all westside tributaries and waters of the eastside Susitna River north of Willow Creek, and in all West Cook Inlet area waters, northern pike may not be released back into the water alive. Further, anglers may choose to either discard dead pike in a responsible manner or harvest their catch.