Thread: Quality optics and maintenance......

Default Quality optics and maintenance......

I was wondering how many of you guys send your glass in for periodic service and maintenance.
    I read that Leica recommends periodic inspection for bushing & gasket wear, etc. I imagine Swaro and Zeiss advocate the same.

I'm thinking of sending the Geovid bincs in for some inspection; it's been five years since I purchased them as Cameraland demos. Also thinking of sending the new (old stock) Televid 62 I just purchased. The knobs on it turn a bit hard after years of just sitting in the box.

Wondering on opinions of average cost, turn around, what was needed for your glass, etc...
    Anyone?
    Proud to be an American!

Well, looks like I'm going solo on this one...

I'll post details as I get them.
    Proud to be an American!

I have not sent any optics back just for a tune up. I did just buy used bino's, Swaro EL's and the focusing knob seems a little tight, so I would be interested to see what your results are. Thanks, Mark

I never sent mine either, I have swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss products and have not had any problems yet with them....the performance is still same when I got them new.....I don't see how sending them in for them to take them apart? seals are still good......its not like its a chronograph Rolex watch or something.

When You get them back, give us a break down of what they did, replace seals, refill nitrogen etc etc... I might consider, my dealer never mentioned the periodic maint.

All of my rifle scopes are Leupold. Never sent one back so far. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    '
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    All of my rifle scopes are Leupold. Never sent one back so far. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    '
    All of my rifle scopes are Leupold, too. Haven't sent any back either.
    Do you change the oil in your car even though it isn't 'broke'?
    When a guy has $3-4K worth of glass--bincs, spotter...seems like it might not hurt to have them looked over every 5 to 10 years.
    I'd rather have Leica (or Zeiss, Swaro, etc) tell me that I had something that needed attention--and then fixed--in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I never sent mine either, I have swarovski, Leica, and Zeiss products and have not had any problems yet with them....the performance is still same when I got them new.....I don't see how sending them in for them to take them apart? seals are still good......its not like its a chronograph Rolex watch or something.

When You get them back, give us a break down of what they did, replace seals, refill nitrogen etc etc... I might consider, my dealer never mentioned the periodic maint.
    Normally my mindset, too.
    My televid knobs turn a bit stiff, so...figured I'd send both optics.
    I dunno, time will tell.
    Proud to be an American!

Well, have some updates....
    I was a bit concerned when I sent my Geovids in, they looked like heck after five years of hard use. I didn't know what to expect cost-wise.
    Received them last week.
    Cleaned, lubed, look like new again. All new outer caps and eye-cups.
    'Good will' service from Leica--no charge, not even shipping.

My armored televid 62 arrived today. Leica informed me that they thought that the knobs did indeed turn rather stiffly, they also noticed a speck or two in the body when viewing.
    Result? They sent me a spankin' new scope--no charge, not even shipping.

Neither of my optics had any warranty remaining yet Leica made sure that I was 100% satisfied. Can't argue with quality service like that.
    Best of the best...
    Proud to be an American!

What a Great Thread,
    For some reason I suspected the OP might followup with a stunning customer care report like this

and the idea of taking care, (checking the oil, anyway) during the offseason, is a pretty good one

thanks fullkurl
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !