Thread: Getting bear to your bait in the first place.

Default Getting bear to your bait in the first place.

How do you guys get your bears to come to a new stand? My bait is popcorn, bacon grease, syrup, and some super sweet coon lure that I made on a trip down to Oregon.

It don't smell a whole lot, so I was thinking getting some of that "bear bomb: anise oil" stuff next time we go to town, what do you think?

any help is apprectited

there are no other baiters for a long ways, and ton of bears eather (hence no baiters) and it is on top of a small rolling hill.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have things set up just right. Just sit back and wait! The first year takes a little while, but once they start coming you will be surprised! I put in a new stand last spring and had 11 bears come in one evening. It just takes time. Stands usually get better with time also as those bears will remember every spring where that food was!

Use lots of scent the key is getting as much scent out in the air as you can. DO NOT USE BEAR BOMB!!!! those things are a waste of money.

Check out Bait'em 907's website and buy some of their products; they work! After that, just wait.. sooner or later something will happen.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Yes jess's bait (Bait em 907) is some potent stuff! I have 2 scent balls at my station and am going back to pick up some more stuff since my stand is also a "New" site for them to feed on. Good luck this year!

I yell here bear here bear....they come soon after that to eat all my Baitem 907 stuff.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Scent. Scent. And more scent. They will come.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

A five gallon bucket with stinky stuff hanging way high in a tree. Bacon greese in front of the bait it will stick to the first bears feet and drag the smell with it.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

We used to burn grease in a coffee can w/ a plumbers torch. We'd end up with a big cloud of grease smoke heading whichever way the wind was blowing. Back in those days I did not hang a stink bucket, but do so now, and no longer do grease burns.
    Note to self, be careful w/ grease burns in dry conditions. Hauling 5 gallon buckets of water several hundred yards to fix a mistake is no fun.
    ARR

I used to keep all my fish heads and guts in a five gallon bucket, seal it and let it sit through the fall and winter, crack it open at my stand in the spring and hoist it up, the smell is unbearable (no pun intended). Grease in front of barrel and under a spot were I put honey (when the bear stands to get the honey my trail cam usually gets a picture and allows me to judge their size). I don't use smell much now since the site has been there awhile and the bears show up every spring.

I almost did this last year but was concerned attracting browns more than blacks. What's your experience been? BTW - nice trail cam pics!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Never had a grizzly while using this method the first two years I set this stand up, then last year no scent and only sweet type baits I had a young grizzly come in, he stayed about two or three days and left. I want to believe it is my stand placement, but know that at the time it was more than likely luck.

Scent is the key factor. Once the bears find your station keep replenishing the bait.
    Mix up some sweet smelly concoctions and they will be back.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

I soak sanitary products in annise & hang them up in the trees where they will catch the wind. Also use as spray bottle and spread the scent around on the leaves for the wind to catch. Dripping syrup on the ground to be tracked around and out to the field helps. F&G may want you to clean up the ground if they think you have left a mess in the dirt though.

I used to use a couple of chickens and some beaver castor, and a gallon of water in a bucket sealed tight. About the time it all turns to gravy, is the time to use it. caution however you may also leave some chum of your own as you open that pale.
    squab (probably of Scandinavian descent; skvabb, meaning "loose, fat flesh") is a young domestic pigeon or its meat

I am starting new stand locations this year. I am not going to use anything stinky. I am planning on sprays, Bait 'Em products, and my popcorn. We have already seen sign of bears, and thats why I don't think I need to hammer it with smelly product. Also we are all forgetting how powerful a bears nose is. With just a little scent, there can be bears coming in to your bait. I am also planning on anise soaked sponges hung up down wind of my location and lots and lots of Jell-o on the ground! Hope fully we get them moving.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

How do you clean the bacon grease and honey off of the ground when you have to pickup your station when season is over?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How do you clean the bacon grease and honey off of the ground when you have to pickup your station when season is over?
    Kick leaves over it...

They want you to dig up the dirt and tame the dirt from the field it's all in the regs..

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You hope and pray that the beArs eat it up otherwise you bring a shovel and dig but that could get tricky so I'd suggest if dumping on the ground plan it out and don't dump around any roots or grassy areas.