Thread: Repower 23' 225hp options for $5/gal fuel

Default Repower 23' 225hp options for $5/gal fuel

I have removed my old omc 1970's era sterndrive from my 23' Uniflite Sportfisherman. I have a suitable Armstrong type outboard braket which I am thinking I will put on a used 225 two stroke... But other options abound such as a 4.3l v6 225hp gas sterndrive, a new fourstroke 225 outboard, or a diesel sterndrive...

Thoughts? What ever I do I have to install hydraulic steering and reglass the transom. So I am thinking in the age of $5/gal fuel, go cheap motors and have money to fuel a thirsty motor or go new efficient power package? The boat itself is in awesome shape and has sentimental meaning to me.

Sobie2

Everyone has an opinion and mine is a newer fuel injected inboard gas V8 would be the best combination of price, power, and fuel consumption. A modern 6 liter PFI motor would push that boat as fast as you would like and most likely would average about 2.2 - 2.5 mpg while cruising in the 25-28 mph range. Diesel would be great but a big cost factor up front.
    A new 225 4 stroke would cost about $17-18K by the time it was rigged and propped. Those older glass boats are built like a tank and very heavy. I bet in a year or tow a 225 hp motor would have you thinking it is under powered.
    Tennessee

I say keep it somewhat original as the real savings in gas is probably minimal. You will also have a lot of money left over to buy gas with as a new 225 or larger is going to cost some serious money. BTW I don't think there is any reason a carbed engine can't approach the fuel economy of a efi motor. They can, it just takes the right selection of parts and some tuning. I remember my old bayliner with the straight 6. It ran great and sipped fuel - a powerful beast it was not.....but it did have enough power and was affordable to operate.

Definitely stay away from that big 2-stroke. thinking re-power in an I/O package best for that heavy boat; not a big fan of outdrives as parts/repairs are $$$ but probably the best for that rig; think duo-prop in a bravo 3 or newer volvo? Should be able to repower with a re-built package for way less than a new 4-stroke that will adequately push that boat. Heavy is not bad at all; equates to comfort, just need the ponies and more importantly torque.
    Good luck with a great boat!

Thanks for the replies, I have found over time that outboards tend to last longer (years, not hours) because they are fully enclosed from the weather and corrosion doesn't really affect things like a gas sterndrive i/o.

Dollars for dollars the least expensive route would have been to retain the original drive and add a new bobtail, but the old OMC sterndrive is an antique.

Most new repower options are above $20k. EFI outboards are not the new direct injection outboards, but I don't know if the difference in fuel economy is measurable.

Sobie2

I am really happy wiith the 225 conversion on my 20' express. super slick, super fast, 48 knots on big lake. I had mike anderson at anderson boat works in wasilla build the transom mount and the 111 gal. fuel tank that sits from cabin to stern in the center section.I like it so much that i am desing a mount for my 27' sportfisher that i bought off some guy in juneau.I LOVE my 27 uniflite and appreciate the deal i got, its fast and stable.

Makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about selling that boat to you 27 Sportfisher. Last week I was out in Chatham wishing I still had her.

The only solace to me on that deal was a day later I saw a brand new Polaris Sportsman 800 with a plow on it for what I sold you the boat for (had 1 mile on it). I have a huge driveway and now plowing it is quick. That 4-wheeler was worth over $10k. So in the end I was pleased how the universe seems to work things out.

Today I have a pristine 23' Uniflite sportfisher and have removed the old OMC stinger outdrive, am glassing the transom and have a big aluminum outboard bracket for a 200 or 225 outboard ready to mount.

I'd love to see some pictures of the 27' today and when you are done. That boat could really handle the seas. Did you ever get the flybridge controls hooked up? You might want to consider either a single 300 or twin 225s for that boat.

Sobie2

sorry about the sickness. you have a seat with your name on it if you are ever up here this summer. i puled the fly bridge off,not enough nice days to justify it. i converted to hydraulic steering, big difference. i built a davitt an bought a 10 hydro slave to pull pots new windless for the anchor,wish it was hydraulic. last year i put about 200 hrs on her. this year all my dough went into finishing the 20' express conversion. held off for bear in sept. pulled out of the shop thought i better start it before we left for whittier click,click, click, said the starter, wrenches came out, parts came off, two back cylinders corroded full of piston aluminium. $3900.00 in machining and lower end parts so far. no heads no exhaust but i am going to go with stainless marine through hull.this should get me to the water until i can fab up the transom. i am thinking 3 150's. thinking stay with a 4 cyl base engine. ran the fuel tanks dry over and over 32 gals. is all she would take per. side. changed to electric pump to help with tank switch. ran and ran thought i was getting better mileage because i was not needing to switch tanks. ran it out, went to fill it, 62 gallons per side holly cow i was shocked. mech pump had a pin backed out and was not sucking with force. thanks, Darren

I believe I have seen your 20' express for sale on craigslist. Post some pictures here of the 20' and the 27' I will post some pictures of my 23'

Those fuel tanks actually hold 75 gal each. I'd love to see 3 150s hanging off a backet. I can see the reasoning because a new 150 Yamaha can be had for 10-12K. I am weary of the etecs but Evinrude has that sweet icon digital throttle and can control up to 5 motors on one set of controls and it would be easy to control 3 engines with, plus it has digital engine sync. What brand of 150 are you thinking about?

Sobie2

if find myself leaning towards the etec , you know the snow machine rule (many machines will get you there ski doo will get you back).my 225 on the 20' runs so smooth and flawless,[IMG][/IMG] i am really happy with it. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] i am not to slick on the pic post thing yet. after i get the 454 done, before the outboard conversion, i need to redo the cabin to deck wall to make it able to fit a wheel chair. about a year and a half ago my dad was working on the top shelves in the shop and had the ladder go out from under him. he came down on tool boxes and concrete.he busted his back, but has got from his chest up working great,(plenty to catch any fish)but no lower body feeling. i think i can make an aluminium back wall that would give me some structural integrity for a dual door set up.i have tested the davit to 1000 dead weight lift so it should be okay. i think i will move the rear seat and half the table. i had to measure the fuel tank, if you were right i was thinking i might have to lower the pick up if i was leaving 10 gal in the bottom.here are the #'s in I.D. 21"x20.5"x35"=15067.5 inches3 = 65.2272 gallons,i dont fill past the first burp so i think its cool. i need a steering arm that is flat instead of angled up. lets see your 23'.my avatar pic is the best one of 27' but i am trying to post a few more,and of the engine build.

fly bridge off i like being able to walk from rear deck to bow over the top davit works very well. i really like my garmin 4212

23' Uniflite.jpgoutboard bracket.jpg
    Here is my 23' Uniflite. I have it on a galvanized EZ load trailer now, and the old outdrive is removed. The sterndrive cut out has been glassed over, but there is a lot of glass work to be done before I can hand the outboard bracket.

Sobie2

i love the way uniflites look like the are hauling donkey even on blocks. after i glassed the outdrive hole i added 2x12 stringers on top of the factory ones. i glassed in 2x2 steel angle vertical in the stern and lagged them to the the stringers,added a piece 2x2 horizontal at the deck, across and and bolted them together. i had my mount built wide enough to take twins so its 48" wide. its perimeter bolted and glued with 5200. i then ran 5/8 gal all thread through the transom and through the angle, double nutting at both sides of both penetrations. its rock solid. on step, the only part of the boat in the water is the last 2 feet of hull. i added the boxes to create a tunnel and provide a better aftward mounting point for the trim tabs.are you going to use your outdrive bolt hole to attach yours?

27 Sportfisher, I have been looking at Uniflites myself and was wondering how that boat performed with the original 225HP 318?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

it came factory with a 4 cyl and in 1972 fish and game put an omc 155 in it. they dry docked it from about 73 to when it was sold to my dad in 86. i ran it for about 4 years (2000 -2004) till i broke the out drive. that started the modifications.the outboard is such an improvement that when i buy a boat if it has a an inboard in it i start planning the conversion the day i buy it. as far as the inboard goes, lined up with any other manufacturer and power range uniflite is always superior, ride, handling, best combination of cutting and planing characteristics. it would run about 24-28 kts. burn about 8 gal an hour.i recommend to buy one of you get a chance.

I was refering to the 27 footer concerning the 318, I presume that was the original motor? Between you and Sobie, its hard to keep track of which boat you guys are discussing, practically a Uniflite lovefest.........LOL

I like the idea of a bracket and a big OB or two...........sounds like you are planning on (3) 150's? That should push that 27' Sportfisher right a long........
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

sorry about that. i bought it from him with the 454 330h.p. quicksilver in it, so i cant say. when i found out this fall that i had an exhaust leak and it seized the two rear cyls. i spent so much on parts and machining that i would be committed to finish it. i still need heads, valve train and exhaust. i figure i will run it for the next two years while i build the bracket. as far as the conversion, i think that all i need h.p. wise is about 400-450. if i have a problem with an engine (which has happened to me) i would like the odds that triple's provide. if i go with 2 200's or 250's i lose 50% power . i think that the 150's will be a little bit better on cost as well. i would really like to use the hold space to put in a freezer unit.

I traded in a 2005 250 E-tec with about 230 hours on it, last summer with Alaska Mining and Diving. It's available on consignment though I've never seen it on their used motor section of the website. If this is something that may work for you, I'm sure a deal can be worked out. PM me for more information if interested.