Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: Wooldridge XL 20 SportJet

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    94

    Smile Wooldridge XL 20 SportJet

    Just picked up my new Wooldridge XL 20 SportJet today over at Alaska Power Sports! Can't wait until the lakes thaw so I can get the motor broke in and then it the rivers shortly afterwards!!



    IMG_0574.JPG
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

  2. #2
    Member halibutcollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Congratulations on the new rig. I'm sure it won't disappoint. I know the Knik is open right now, don't wait for the lakes, get that thing wet!! Akgravelpumper has mentioned breaking in the optimax several times and how important the right procedures are. Maybe he could chime in??? TJM and I were out at the Matsu last weekend but the Knik is a lot more forgiving. Have fun! Hopefully we'll see you at the gathering on Memorial Day.

  3. #3
    Member killer instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Congrats! We will be right behind you as we own the Black 2011 Wooldridge XL sitting at Marita right now..... just waiting for a thaw to break it in.....

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thanks guys!

    @halibutcollier
    I have a copy of the break in procedures and will definitely follow them exactly as soon as the water opens up. From what I've read on that motor every little bit helps!

    @killer instinct
    Seeing yours is what sold mine, I had them put on the second windshield wiper to match it with yours .

    See you guys on the river!
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palmer
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Yes break in procedures are important, I have been told merc recomends/requires manufacturesr to break in the motors before they leave the shop. either way it can't hurt to run through the break in procedure a second time. If you have a smartcraft gauge verify the motor is in break in mode, keep an eye on motor temp and run it through the break in cycle, then vary the rpm for the first few hours, making progressively longer full throttle burst as you have more time on the motor, two strokes like rpm and load for break in. after the first tank, when the break in timer is out drive it like you stole it. A side note, breaking the motor in in very cold water may be a little harder on it than warmer water (thermal shock)

  6. #6
    Member killer instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Here's what Todd at Marita gave us as the Engine Break-in Procedure:

    Step 1: First 40 minutes: Keep the boat on the trailer. Place the boat & trailer in water that is deep enough to submerge the water intake grate. Keep the bow attached and tight to the trailer, but remove or loosen the rear straps to allow the boat to float at the rear. Run the engine at the listed run time and at the RPM speed.

    RUN Time................Engine RPM Speed

    First 10 minutes ...... 2500 RPM
    Next 10 minutes ........3000 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........3500 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........4000 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........4500 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........5000 RPM

    Step 2: Next 14 minutes - Remove the boat from the trailer and run on the water. The run times for the first four wide-open-throttle encounters is VERY CRITICAL. Keep the run time within the given range. Run the engine at the listed run times and RPM speed.

    RUN TIME .....................................ENGINE RPM SPEED
    First 10 seconds (+/- 3 seconds) ....... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 20 seconds.................................3500 RPM
    Next 20 seconds (+/- 3 sec)................wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 40 sec ..................................... 3500-4000 RPM
    Next 30 sec (+/- 3 sec)..................... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 1 1/2 minutes ............................. 3500 - 4000 RPM
    Next 45 seconds (+/- 3 sec).................. wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 1 1/2 minutes................................. 3500 - 4000 RPM
    Next 4 1/4 minutes ............................... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM

  7. #7

    Default

    Congrats BigSu!!! I bet your chompin' at the bit to break her in!
    Here is my Easter egg, I wonder what it is???
    I want to unwrap it, but I just know if I do it's gonna snow 6 inches

    Thanks for the checklist KI, I'm gonna print that out...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Those instructions look identical to what I recieved from Marita yesterday. I was told by John when I was first looking at purchasing that the warrenty would still be good if the dealer didn't do the break in themselves but it was just recommended. I figure that I'll video tape the break-in so that way if theres any questions they can watch a movie. I might place a call into Mercury next week just to make sure that I'm not voiding anything...the procedures are pretty straight so hopefully it wouldn't be a dealer thing.

    If you have some different instructions for 2011 I'd be interested in seeing them...currently searching online...

    Thanks!
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palmer
    Posts
    167

    Default

    just looked at them, I had the same instructions as you, just my fuzzy brain got in the way

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Thanks for checking though! It is good to know that we're all looking at the same ones before I go out and perform the incorrect steps !
    2016 Hewescraft Alaskan 260...

  11. #11
    Member killer instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSuBoater View Post
    Those instructions look identical to what I recieved from Marita yesterday. I was told by John when I was first looking at purchasing that the warrenty would still be good if the dealer didn't do the break in themselves but it was just recommended. I figure that I'll video tape the break-in so that way if theres any questions they can watch a movie. I might place a call into Mercury next week just to make sure that I'm not voiding anything...the procedures are pretty straight so hopefully it wouldn't be a dealer thing.

    If you have some different instructions for 2011 I'd be interested in seeing them...currently searching online...

    Thanks!
    These were the only instructions Marita gave out.... must've just missed seeing you yesterday. We did meet the other gentleman who's boat is currently in the build process & will be up at the end of May. Todd mentioned that we could either do the break in ourselves, or he will get John to help us out if he's available since he's now retired. There's also the service manager that can help out, too. It boils down to if they aren't available when we want to do it, we'll have to do it ourselves. Eager to get on the water, so a wait-n-game is hard to do......

  12. #12
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    I just purchased a new Sportjet a couple weeks ago and plan to install next week. I don't think you need to worry about video taping the breakin because I think the computer on the motor will register everything you do like RPM, for how long, and at what point in the engine life it took place. Do you agree akgravelpumper?

  13. #13
    Member Yukoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Whitehorse Yukon
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Is that the break in procedure for Optimax outboards as well, or just SJ inboards?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    palmer
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I just purchased a new Sportjet a couple weeks ago and plan to install next week. I don't think you need to worry about video taping the breakin because I think the computer on the motor will register everything you do like RPM, for how long, and at what point in the engine life it took place. Do you agree akgravelpumper?
    It logs cumulative hours at rpm ranges, but not at what point in the engines.life. I don't think you would have any warranty issues weather you did the break in or.if marita did

  15. #15

    Default Final Step

    Quote Originally Posted by killer instinct View Post
    Here's what Todd at Marita gave us as the Engine Break-in Procedure:

    Step 1: First 40 minutes: Keep the boat on the trailer. Place the boat & trailer in water that is deep enough to submerge the water intake grate. Keep the bow attached and tight to the trailer, but remove or loosen the rear straps to allow the boat to float at the rear. Run the engine at the listed run time and at the RPM speed.

    RUN Time................Engine RPM Speed

    First 10 minutes ...... 2500 RPM
    Next 10 minutes ........3000 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........3500 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........4000 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........4500 RPM
    Next 5 minutes ..........5000 RPM

    Step 2: Next 14 minutes - Remove the boat from the trailer and run on the water. The run times for the first four wide-open-throttle encounters is VERY CRITICAL. Keep the run time within the given range. Run the engine at the listed run times and RPM speed.

    RUN TIME .....................................ENGINE RPM SPEED
    First 10 seconds (+/- 3 seconds) ....... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 20 seconds.................................3500 RPM
    Next 20 seconds (+/- 3 sec)................wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 40 sec ..................................... 3500-4000 RPM
    Next 30 sec (+/- 3 sec)..................... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 1 1/2 minutes ............................. 3500 - 4000 RPM
    Next 45 seconds (+/- 3 sec).................. wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Next 1 1/2 minutes................................. 3500 - 4000 RPM
    Next 4 1/4 minutes ............................... wide-open throttle 5600 RPM
    Just curious if they recommended loading 3700lbs on board immediately following?

  16. #16

    Default

    Halibutgrove, Just curious if any of your boats can perform half as good as an Alaskan XL Sportjet?
    Also just curious if your boat can even carry 3700lbs and get on step?

  17. #17
    Member halibutcollier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big daddy View Post
    halibutgrove, just curious if any of your boats can perform half as good as an alaskan xl sportjet?
    Also just curious if your boat can even carry 3700lbs and get on step?
    hahahahaha

  18. #18
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    'cmon guys...lets not start this sh!!t again...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

  19. #19
    Member Rob B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska,
    Posts
    3,151

    Default

    Doesnt' it always turn to that though? One person mentions a SJ and then........

  20. #20
    Member f0zzy2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    374

    Talking He started it

    I'm just happy to be boating and that i don't own any Phantom stock....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •