Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anyone interested in running the Ivashak?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default Anyone interested in running the Ivashak?

    A buddy of mine and I are interested in running up the Ivashak for some caribou in August. We don't have a boat, but would be willing to cover most of the fuel costs (75%) for the drive up plus fuel for the boat and provide the food for the trip. If anyone here with an airboat wants to go get some tastybou's please let me know. We are both soldiers at Fort Rich and we will be moving at the end of the fall to another duty station. We are experianced in the AK outdoors and responsible in the back country.

    I figured it would be worth a shot throwing this out there. You never know....

  2. #2
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Strcave. your pm box is full, pm me, I may be interested. Bud

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    A buddy of mine and I are interested in running up the Ivashak for some caribou in August. We don't have a boat, but would be willing to cover most of the fuel costs (75%) for the drive up plus fuel for the boat and provide the food for the trip. If anyone here with an airboat wants to go get some tastybou's please let me know. We are both soldiers at Fort Rich and we will be moving at the end of the fall to another duty station. We are experianced in the AK outdoors and responsible in the back country.

    I figured it would be worth a shot throwing this out there. You never know....
    I realize you mean well...but be careful what you put in writing or bargain for with a boat operator. The Troopers WILL bust him for illegal transporting, if he agrees to or takes 1 penny more than equal sharing of expenses. It is not legal to pay for more than an Equal Share of fuel, food and repairs...capital expenses.
    Especially on an internet forum such as this...the Troopers are continually searching the posts for tell-tale signs of wrong doing and illegal activity. Much better off just contacting one of the legal transporters or reach an agreement with a boat driver that will not result in both parties getting busted. The Troopers take this very seriously and so should you. Bottomline, what you are proposing is illegal...
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Thanks for the heads up. One could argue that what I offered to pay would be an equal share of the cost of the trip when you take depreciation, maintenance, and wear and tear on the truck and boat into account. I did not realize I was stepping on the line here, so in the interest of me and anyone who replies not getting into trouble I'd appreciate it if this thread be deleted. Thanks

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Besides, when you check into what transporters want for what your proposing you'll realize how far off base you are. You'd be money ahead to go to the farm in Palmer and buy a couple! Or if your set on hunting, get ready to pony up at least 5 times your original proposal to get a transporters attention.
    Mike

  6. #6
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    I think is fine with what he said he is saying to pay his fair amount dont think troopers would see something wrong with that

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    A buddy of mine and I are interested in running up the Ivashak for some caribou in August. We don't have a boat, but would be willing to cover most of the fuel costs (75%) for the drive up plus fuel for the boat and provide the food for the trip. If anyone here with an airboat wants to go get some tastybou's please let me know. We are both soldiers at Fort Rich and we will be moving at the end of the fall to another duty station. We are experianced in the AK outdoors and responsible in the back country.

    I figured it would be worth a shot throwing this out there. You never know....
    Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I think is fine with what he said he is saying to pay his fair amount dont think troopers would see something wrong with that
    And you would be wrong. Did you read the post? Anything...Anything more than sharing expenses 50/50 is a No No...Doesn't matter who owns the equipment or performs the maintenance...those are sunk costs, irrelvant to the discussion and not associated with the hunt. Little things, like "75%" "plus fuel for the boat" and "provide the food for the trip", would be considered compensation...Believe it or not.
    Even trading out hunts can get sketchy...as an exaggeration...hare hunt for a brown bear hunt...but you get the picture.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And you would be wrong. Did you read the post? Anything...Anything more than sharing expenses 50/50 is a No No...Doesn't matter who owns the equipment or performs the maintenance...those are sunk costs, irrelvant to the discussion and not associated with the hunt. Little things, like "75%" "plus fuel for the boat" and "provide the food for the trip", would be considered compensation...Believe it or not.
    Even trading out hunts can get sketchy...as an exaggeration...hare hunt for a brown bear hunt...but you get the picture.
    See what your saying now thanks Chris

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    This thread is now simply a warning to others. I didn't know that what I had proposed is illegal. Now I know, and I asked the mods to delete this thread. It's still here, so maybe someone will read it and not make the same mistake.

  10. #10
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    I am not sure it as dire as some are suggesting. I have asked troopers about this issue and they are looking for people blatantly acting as unlicensed guides/transporters. Plus two of you and one boat operator = all parties ponying up 33% each. That comes pretty close to your original figure of 75%. I also think you could make a fair argument that wear and tear on vehicle and boat has some value. I imagine that some of the transporters working the area aren't too keen on your idea though.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •