Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Line?

  1. #1
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default Line?

    What are most of you using for line. I haven't explored flyfishing much up here yet. Back home I used floating line <90% of the time. Most of my spots were small streams and I liked to drop nymphs under a big grasshopper or something I could double as a strike indicator. My inquiry is mostly specific to the Parks streams.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    The only time I use sinking line is on my salmon rig. I fish the Parks a lot and have never had a problem using floating line on any one of those streams. Most are pretty small and you can get a good drift with any sort of fly on floating line. Check out Rio, they make some good stuff.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  3. #3
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, I am for sure not a pro at chucking feathers but I think I can find some fish. What types of patterns do you like in the spring? My go to has always been egg sucking leeches and gold bead heads. I nailed Grayling on the bead heads last year but I had the feeling they would have eaten anything.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Be careful using multiple flies on your line. Some of the locations with really good fishing only allow for 1 hook on your line. That would be a silly thing to get ticketed for. I always try to read up before I go out, even if it's somewhere I have been fishing at a lot. You never know when an emergency order will pop up.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    248

    Default

    I have had good luck with wooly buggers, egg sucking leeches, beads, nymphs, and of course, flesh flies. little black skeeters work great too. Enjoy! I just saw some skeeters today, and what I thought was a cadis fly. Fishing season is almost here!

  6. #6
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I figured as much, I am for sure not a pro at chucking feathers but I think I can find some fish. What types of patterns do you like in the spring? My go to has always been egg sucking leeches and gold bead heads. I nailed Grayling on the bead heads last year but I had the feeling they would have eaten anything.
    For spring patterns you're gonna wanna load up on some smolt and alevin patters, leeches, dolly llamas, stone fly nymphs, caddis, prince nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs and so on. Make sure you have a good selection of bugs and smolt/alevin. The trout will be feeding on these sources until the salmon arrive.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  7. #7
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    I have had good luck with wooly buggers, egg sucking leeches, beads, nymphs, and of course, flesh flies. little black skeeters work great too. Enjoy! I just saw some skeeters today, and what I thought was a cadis fly. Fishing season is almost here!
    Smashed a skeeter on my neck while I was grilling this evening! Tis the season.....to break out the deet!

  8. #8
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Thanks again. It sounds like standard fare. I will head to Three Rivers or Mtn View this week. Next winter I plan to take up tying.

  9. #9
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    I use a floater most of the time on the single handers, and half the time on the two handers, if I'm swinging anything but dries/mice I'll be throwing a compact skagit and about 5 feet of T 14. When I'm fishing for silvers (or any other fish I'm casting and stripping) I'll fish a sing tip a lot of the time, been using the SA streamer express and like it quite a bit.

    And in the spring I like smolt flies, smolt flies and more smolt flies
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    What are most of you using for line. I haven't explored flyfishing much up here yet. Back home I used floating line <90% of the time. Most of my spots were small streams and I liked to drop nymphs under a big grasshopper or something I could double as a strike indicator. My inquiry is mostly specific to the Parks streams.

    Thanks!
    Most of the folks starting out do very well with SA's Head Start line. It's a weight-forward, but with a shorter head that lets you load the rod with less line in the air. It's still plenty delicate for smaller trout flies, but with a great taper for larger flies and fishing in the wind. I know lots of guides who outfit their client rods with nothing else, and in fact prefer them for their own use. Best of all, they're reasonably priced. Here is the official poop from SA, but they're readily available from local sources and online.

  11. #11
    Member ADUKHNT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    503

    Default

    I use floating line-Cortland 444 and SA Sharkskin Steelhead-'tis the season!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

  12. #12
    Member cube01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    For spring patterns you're gonna wanna load up on some smolt and alevin patters, leeches, dolly llamas, stone fly nymphs, caddis, prince nymphs, pheasant tail nymphs and so on. Make sure you have a good selection of bugs and smolt/alevin. The trout will be feeding on these sources until the salmon arrive.
    Raptor nailed it...
    Later in the season, when the salmon get into the system, you'll have better luck with beads and flesh.

    I'm up there quite a bit... If you see a guy wearing a red hat or a brown beanie, it's probably me...
    'May even have a Golden Retriever in tow, if he ever learns to stay away from the fly line.

  13. #13
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Raptor nailed it...
    Later in the season, when the salmon get into the system, you'll have better luck with beads and flesh.

    I'm up there quite a bit... If you see a guy wearing a red hat or a brown beanie, it's probably me...
    'May even have a Golden Retriever in tow, if he ever learns to stay away from the fly line.


    Baxter wants to chase birds too!!!!!!!!!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •