Thread: DM743 Chena River Cow Moose...

Question DM743 Chena River Cow Moose...

The wife and I will be trying our luck at this hunt in August. Just wondering if anyone has done this hunt or is familiar with the sub-unit? I see in maps that the Chena Hot Springs Rd gives you some access along with the middle fork of the Chena. What are the best options for the area? Boat, wheeler, or hiking in? Also, what are the chances for a mixed bag? Any info is greatly appreciated.

AZinAK

The road bears away from the river at the bridge so just go up as far as your jet will take you. Otherwise, it might be a long-ish walk through the bushes.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I have this tag. PM Sent. Basically +1 on the you need a jet / air boat...wheeling NOT an option. I have seen a grizzly up there when hunting that a couple of people in my party could have taken (myself included), but I would say that part is hit or miss...Unless you mean grouse; then I would say your chances at mixed bag are very good

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    I have this tag. PM Sent. Basically +1 on the you need a jet / air boat...wheeling NOT an option. I have seen a grizzly up there when hunting that a couple of people in my party could have taken (myself included), but I would say that part is hit or miss...Unless you mean grouse; then I would say your chances at mixed bag are very good
    Sure! Some grouse for dinner, especially ruffed would be great! If I ran into a grizz in there too I would probably bring em home. Really just trying to fill some freezers with moose so that will definately be my focus. I am really looking forward to seeing my wife shake like a leaf when she's drawn on her first big game animal in Alaska. I love those moments! Thanks so far for all the info...

AZinAK

Looks like it is a no-go for wheelers. From a quick glance at the map the hunt appears to be in the Chena River SRA. So you must be on specified trails for ATV travel. I am not familiar with the river up there but I have heard that it is pretty thin. Perhaps that is why they didn't get that many applicants for the hunt.

I notice this thread is a little stale. But, does anyone have updates on this area? Is the winter trail passable on foot?? Or, is it a bog?

I hope to do a late season bow hunt, walk in, float the critter out. Is this airboat territory?

thx,
    Tom