Thread: freighter trailer

Default freighter trailer

I have my HB on a galvanised boat trailer,I'm considering adding 4 2"x6"pressure treated boards accross the trailer frame and putting treated plywood on top of the boards to create a flatdeck for the HB. Will drilling 3-4 holes per side through the trailer frame weaken it?Has anyone done a similar conversion?I don't want to drill holes through the trailer frame if it could cause problems with strength.

thanks

Won't weaken it but each hole drilled will create a place for rust to form.

I did essentially the same thing a few years back and turned a boat trailer into a motorcycle/ATV trailer. I used 3/8" square "U bolts" to hold the frame and deck to the trailer frame and they worked just fine without drilling holes. I sold it, but as far as I know it is still working just fine.

"" holes in trailer "" it all dependson how many you put in it, U bolts an 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 would do a good job an put the decking on top of the wooden frame , the onlt problem with it is the weight of the wood as most of the small trailers don't have a large weight carrying capability
    an after the wood an then put the HB on that you could over load the tires an springs an frame, having said that it will all work just think about the overweight on the small trailer do a little math befor you junp into it also the . .roads you will be traveling good luck

SID

weight capacity on this trailer shouldn't be to bug an issue as it has a 2100lb capacity.I would prefer a custom trailer built for the HB with sides but can't seem to locate anyone to build it

thanks

looks like it will be a true custom trailer built by """ true grit ""' get a pencil out an start drawing an do it your self an save a lot of money

PS when you build it allmistakes you can kick your self in the A#%, not some one else what you can use to potect the canoe from damage when riding on a pice of wood is fire hose check the local firehouse to see if they will sell you some of there old house I think they trash it after so many years [I am not sure check it out ] it is very dense an tuff an can be nailed an screwed for the home builder to work with

I will use 4 2"x10" boards cut to length, bolted accross trailer width.Then fasten playwood to that,covered with marine carpet. then I will have 2 bunks bolted to the plywood (2"x12"x10'long) covered with marine felt for trailer bunks,for the HB to sit on to keep the 3 keels from sitting on the trailer.
    hopefully it works out.

it will work just fine, [trailer] just make sure that the bunkers get in the correct spot, the problem I see going down the road, canoe coming loose a little, an bounceing, if this happends there is a product called rubber rope you buy it by th foot an it is a solid strip about 3/8 inch in diamaitor an you put the hooks on as needed, it will last a long time [mine has lasted from 1976 an still going strong ] this is not for safety, still use ropes/ straps, it just holds the canoe in place when it hits a bump in the road an stop the junping, ropes can't do it, regular rope will strech A little an it goes from a little to A lot, this rubber is solid rubber it is not BUNGEE cords, Bungees fail a lot for me, an not that strong [ PS I don,t store the canoe straped down in the sun light so this might be the reason it has lasted ]

Default my canoe don't float (on the highway)

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    it will work just fine, [trailer] just make sure that the bunkers get in the correct spot, the problem I see going down the road, canoe coming loose a little, an bounceing,
    I use 2 inch wide racheted tie downs (made to tie a car down) to my flatbed, which has astroturf affixed. The tie downs just go across the boat's gunnels all straightforward like; nothing fancy. Scott canoe is just sitting on the flat bed trailer.

Not on purpose, but I have given the entire trailer and boat flight before while going too fast across frost heaves on the highway. The Scott stayed with the canoe (as reported by my buddy following me) during the trailer's trips thru the air. No damage, no bouncing, no loosening; those Scott canoes are built so darned strong.

Default straps on a canoe

they will work but you have to get them real tight putting a lot of torque on it . this will put some strest on the canoe, if you back off a little on the straps an use that rubber rope you will find the canoe will ride a lot better, now this taking a frigrter from Maine to Alaska an car / Truck topping for 30 + years tou can travel down any HIWAY at speed limit ",+" an it don' tmove, even going down turagain in the wind as long as a head wind, not a side wind, that is then I slow down to about 40 MPH hope An they don't come loose [can;t ]