Thread: Early, early season in Seward...Peak bagging and a few flappers and cod too....

Default Early, early season in Seward...Peak bagging and a few flappers and cod too....

I had to run my boat to Chenega for some work obligations last week. My longtime deckhand and captain Jeff asked if he and a couple of friends could catch a ride to Latouche Island for to do a little Alpine mountaineering while I was in town. Never one to discourage high adventure, I told him to get his people and load up the boat. They in turn spent a day and half bagging a couple of peaks and skiing deep, virgin powder where few ever had.
    I did fish a number of spots both on the way over and back. Not giving any of them much time but enough to say with some certainty that there is not much life on the bottom in less than 300 feet of water. Not even many rockfish.... lots of barren pinnacles and rockpiles....I have seen this almost everytime I fish early like this...In 300 - 400 feet of water clouds of bait, tons of cod and some smaller halibut. We did anchor and put bait in the water for an hour or so on the way home and caught two small chickens and 30 cod. I gave the halibut to the others since I still have about 30 pounds in the freezer but I did bleed, ice then fillet and skin the cod.......
    As much I have been a fish snob about cod in the past I have to say that last nights deep fried cod was some of the tastyest, lightest fish I have ever eaten. I never thought I would be one of those cod lovers but it was really better than halibut. The cod we kept were bright 3 - 8 pounders, no sores or visable worms. I kept the fish very cold and then when I skinned them I put them in the refridgerator and put a little lemon juice on them prior to cooking to firm up the meat. I looking forward to getting some more of the tastey fish!!

Thats all for now, I am not going to fish much again until later in May. Look for a report when I get back on the water again.

Happy Easter!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the post! I have a couple of trips planned in May and was really wondering what the fishing is going to be like. I'll be acting as navigator for a 22 foot aurora for some friends who want to try to bag some spring blackies. I figured that I would wet my line while I wait for them to hunt. It sounds like I have a good shot at picking up some fish!

Default few more

Here are two more from the Island....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Absolutely amazing! Great photos and great info. Thanks for posting.

AKCAPT,

You know, I found the same thing to be true a week ago over by Cape Puget. The weather was great, the seas were calm, but the fish just were not there. It took a lot of work (well ok fishing) just to get a chicken in the boat. My son and I ended up with some nice cod, released a couple of arrowtooths, hooked and released a giant ling (just my luck since it was out of season) and caught one 25-30 lb halibut. It was warm and sunny so nobody was really complaining.....In fact, both of my early trips this season have been great. The derby weather in Homer was something special as was Seward last Saturday.

If that was a Ling Cod, the season is closed till July 1.

Ling cod is out of season??

Perhaps you've got a new charter opportunity on your hands there. Liveaboard ski charters with a bit of fishing thrown in? I know that a boat out of Whittier does such trips once in a while, and the demand is out there. We're planning on doing such a trip next spring on our boat. There are countless untouched peaks out there - a dream for ski mountaineers!

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the report. I've been wanting to do a similar trip in our boat, but cramming a ski/fish junk show into our limited space seems an overwhelming task. I'm sure you could book a couple/three of these trips every spring. Thanks for the fishing report, going to give Junken a try in a couple weeks. Hopefully a few halibut will have moved in by then.

Wow, fish, climb, ski, kayak...sweet.

For those asking if they were ling cod, I have to believe they were Pacific Cod. P-cod are some of the best fish out there though even I prefer to let others "candle" (pick out the worms with a light table) rather than dealing with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Wow, fish, climb, ski, kayak...sweet.

For those asking if they were ling cod, I have to believe they were Pacific Cod. P-cod are some of the best fish out there though even I prefer to let others "candle" (pick out the worms with a light table) rather than dealing with it myself.
    P-cod is great! As I noted and others noted, lings are closed and not to be retained as they are spawning and are agressively guarding their spawning areas.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Ling cod is out of season??
    sarcasm noted.

that is some sick sick sick terrain!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

As others have noted, that is an awesome sounding trip. I never even thought of connecting fishing and skiing, but what a great way to get to some virgin peaks. I'd be in some time for a trip like that, too....gonna have to agree with Brian, you might have a good side/off-season opportunity there.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    sarcasm noted.
    That was funny!

Wow, fantastic trip! I've been wanting to do an early season shrimp and ski trip (or two), but never seem to find the time window, maybe next spring.

As far as P-cod, it seems that the ones I've caught in PWS and Resserection bay aren't nearly as wormy as those I've taken out of Kachemak bay. The worms seem to be concentrated near the belly, so you can either just cut off the belly meat, or remove the worms with the tip of the knife, which isn't too time consuming. The only fish I've seen completely riddled with worms was a pollock I took out of K-back last spring, it was recycled.

My wife really likes cod (I still prefer halibut) My favorite way to prepare cod is to take skinned fillets and cut them into roughly 1" wide strips. I make a roll from the strips on a baking sheet and hold them together with a toothpick. I stuff the middle with a combination of cocktail shrimp, sour cream, lime juice and grated parmesan. Top with a little bit more parmesian, and sprinkle on some paprika. Bake til they firm up and enjoy!
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Shoot there is never time for that kind off trip, I was just happy to fit it in for these guys. I would gladly take out some very good skiers again some time but that kind of backcountry skiing takes work and skill. I think taking anyone who had not done some serious ski mountaineering before could be disasterous. No sign of bears yet, just lots of deer tracks. Someone in Chenega told me they shot 27 in town last year....I would think there are going to be a few less around Evans Island this year.....

The cod we catch in really deep water, later in the summer look hideous. loaded with pink sores, worms and just look like something you wouldn't dream of eating. These were little scrappers, 4- 8 pounds bright markings and no sores at all.

Thanks for the update Capt. Andy.
    Can't wait to get down that way in three more weeks!
    BK