Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boil or???

Default Jet Boil or???

For the last 20 yrs or so I have used a MSR Whisperlight as my hike in type stove. I like it but it's not the lightest or most convient stove out there so I'm thinking about biting the bullet & going canister most of the time. Was looking at the Pocket Rocket & the Gigapower (or whatever the $40 Snow Peak is), & the salesman started pushing the Jet Boil. I hadn't been looking at them because I didn't think you could use a normal pan without a seperate adapter. He says not so, the new ones (I was looking at the Zip & Flash) have the adapter built in so they can use any pot.
    So... What stove is for me? I am "budget concious", but could do a Jet Boil.
    It would be used primarily for day trips & fast & light 1-3 night backcountry hunts, both lowland moose & timberline black bear, etc. Most cooking will be rehydrating, but I may occassionaly cook in the pot. 1 or 2 people.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Just another Idea to consider, the Swiss Army Volcano Stove for low country. I have two. One in my daily walk'about pack, and one in my 3-day walk'about pack.

i have had the pocket rocket (the name makes me laugh everytime i hear it) for about 10 years now. its small and light at just a few ounces and works great it may not be the biggest or strongest but works everytime and unless your trying to heat a gallon or water in under 2 seconds or whatever else some stoves claim (as if you had to heat water at the speed of light because your so pressed for time in the outdoors) then it works great.

I love my jet boil and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's really easy to carry and super-fast.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I use the MSR superfly (auto-ignite) with a Ti pot. It uses the small butane bottle & generally lasts for an entire hunt and it fits into the ti pot with the stove and a couple of sporks, maybe some folded tin foil, etc.... light and tight.
    The last jet boil I lifted was pretty heavy for a minimalist....like the concept, hate the weight.
    Proud to be an American!

I've been using the Jet Boil for a few years and really like it unless the temperatures are lower than about 20F or so... it will work lower than that but you will use more fuel and the heating times are much longer. Cooking in a pot is aggravating but certainly possible. I find the burner just scorches the food on the bottom- even at relatively low settings unless you're diligent to stir. Mine has been really reliable and I've used it quite a bit.

I like the convenience of it more than anything else. There are several better (arguably) products on the market now but when it was introduced it was pretty unique. As someone else pointed out you can buy various components and go lighter. But, I can easliy do a three day trip and boil water several times a day for meals and coffee on a single fuel canister. Great for solo trips or with a partner...but in a larger group or on a longer hunt you could do better.

Vance,
    I have all three of the ones mentioned. I was issued the Wisperlite international by the Army in the early 90's (93 or 94) and bought the pocket rocket for climbing. I was given the jet boil flash a few years ago. I've used the wisperlite everywhere; at elevation (15k feet), in the rain, cold, wind you name it. I get the bulk and mess thing, it sometimes can be a pain especially when you spill fuel all over youself. With that being said; It has worked everywhere, every time on every kind of fuel from white gas to dirty third world diesel.
    The pocket rocket is great too. it works very well for the size, heats water quickly and is a ridiculously small and light. It does not work so well at elevation though, you need to keep it out of the wind and pans fall off easily. It really sucks being hungry and spending time to cook a meal only to have the wind knock off the pot as soon as it starts to boil. It is however perfect for exactly what you described. For fast and light short trips it's hard to beat. The price also makes it an easy choice.
    the jetboil is nice. It works great for an individual meal that only requires heating water. It does not work as well as the wisperlite at elevation (especially when the fuel can gets low) and it's far more bulky than the other two. I use it and like it the least of the three.
    If I had to buy another light stove I would buy the pocket rocket again.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

Vance

I have had two since they came out and they have been hands down the best canister sotve I have used.
    Their is another model I will be trying soon.
    It is a SOTO Micro Regulator CAMPING STOVE OD-1R . It has had some great reviews.

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER RICK View Post
    Vance

I have had two since they came out and they have been hands down the best canister sotve I have used.
    Their is another model I will be trying soon.
    It is a SOTO Micro Regulator CAMPING STOVE OD-1R . It has had some great reviews.

RR

RR, are you saying the JB is the best you have used so far?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    RR, are you saying the JB is the best you have used so far?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming!
    Vance

For a canister stove yes . I have had a Whisperlite International that I take on hunts as a back up incase the Jet boils ever wet down and it is still new in the case , knock on wood.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

I've had a pocket rocket for about 8 years now and love it. simple, light, cheap. fuel and lighter or matches fit into a pot that I use for everything from morning coffee to mountain house.

JETBOIL....there are many out there..have use some mentioned. Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage... IMO..JETBOIL rocks...fast and easy. Have used it high and low in altitudes cold and warm temps..does take longer when in extreme cold to get to boiling point..but dont spend many nights out there below 10F...lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

If you ever plan on flying in to hunt, most of the pressurized canisters can not be put on a plane, even a cargo only aircraft. Not bad mouthing any of them, just look around if flying might be an option.
    I have used MSR for a long time and remain pretty happy. I know there are lighter ones, but the whisperlite and the XGK have worked well for me.
    ARR

There are DOT approved canisters, just buy them during the summer before the fall rush and you won't have a problem. I like the jetboil, it is a great stove for boiling. It's a reasonable weight and nice handy package. Pretty hard to beat as a system. That said there are certainly other stoves out there that are lighter and faster to boil. The Soto stove is one that I plan on getting this year and trying out. I also have a whisperlite int that I will drag out for winter camping.

In the end, if you just want a simple, reasonably lite all inclusive stove package that works well together and doesn't cost a fortune then the jetboil is darn good. If your a geardo ounce counter like some of us though you can piece together a lighter faster system.

I've got a pocket rocket!(hehehe)! I actually purchased 2 so as to have a back-up. I have a small aluminum pot with a locking lid purchased circa '77. I place fuel and stove and stubby fork/spoon(I cut off the ends) inside and the entire thing weighs less than I could have imagined. I have used 1 can of fuel on a 10 day alaska float and come home with fuel remaining. Yes, I build fires when I can and only use the stove when necessary, not for convienience. I do think it is wise to plan to use the stove as a primary source. That way you have plenty of fuel, I just prefer to sit around a campfire. I've not used the other products. Perhaps they are better. I am happy with my PR.

I don't own a jetboil, but I've done a couple trips with people who do. To me the benefit of a butane stove is they are lighter and more compact as well as convieneint to use. The jetboil is very convienient, but not really much smaller or lighter than you're whisperlite. Everyone argues that it fits in the cook pot, but so will any other butane stove.

If you're looking to make the switch for the ease of use, the jetboil is great. If you have any interest in cutting weight or volume, look elsewhere.

The Soto stove mentioned will do everything the Jetobil does and is probably 1/4 the weight. The snow peak stoves are really nice too. Autoignition is a really nice feature, just don't forget matches just in case.

I do like the jetboil cookware though. It heats faster than standard cookware and is really light and works well with both my simmerlite and my soto. Wouldn't use it in a campfire though.

Default Coleman Exponent Xtreme

They are hard to find these days, but I like the Coleman Exponent Xtreme. It is the only canister (that I know of) that has a pre-heat loop. This changes the low temp game and provides improved fuel performance. I have not shaken a fuel canister sine I bought mine. It will burn with the close to the same intensity from a full canister to an empty one. The canisters are lightweight and the stove comes with a church key that allows you to punch and crush the empty canister to minimize the space for packing out.

I have friends that are die hard Jet Boil fans, that will borrow my stove for a higher elevation or late season hunt. The only problems I have had with the stove, is they are hard to find and if you have to ship fuel (Kotzebue) Air Cargo will not ship these canister's. If you can find the stove, the fuel is readily available.

Features
    • Stove dimensions (packed): 7" x 4" x 4"
    • Stove weight (without fuel canister): 11 oz (312g)
    • Stove output: 14,000 BTU/h
    • Boil Time: 3 min
    • Burn Time: 1 hour ( per 300g cartridge)
    • Fuel Type: operates exclusively on Coleman Powermax fuel cartridges
    • Compact, collapsible design
    • Lightweight, sure-footed tripod design made of durable magnesium alloy components
    • Provides consistent performance in cold weather and at high altitudes
    • Performance does not drop off as fuel cartridge empties
    • Coleman PowerMax fuel cartridge attaches with a simple 1/4 turn
    • Green Key cartridge-puncturing key
    • 420 denier nylon stuff sac
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a Jet Boil last year and used it for a 10 sheep hunt. All I can say is that now my MRS Whisperlite is obsolete. Anyone want to buy a used but in great condition Whisperlite?

I love the Coleman Exponent Xtreme, but I have had three one with a double burner. Two of them had lines that got holes in them, one was never hauled out of the plastic box it came in so from my experience they are not very durable. The Xtreme canisters are not too easy to find, harder than Jet Boil cans where I have gone. Both have pros and cons. Xtreme sure heats things fast and the different size canister and double burner ones are very nice.

If you can find one, these stoves are great. The MSR Vapor Jet. We tested these up here in Fairbanks a few years ago. MSR and the Army wanted these tested in extreme cold and they did great. I got to keep the one I tested and use it for everything. I've used it in -25 and colder with no issues. I've used it everywhere from the North Slope to Kodiak to Iraq. It burns JP8 or white fuel. No fuel can is needed. It has a small resevoir that holds enough fuel to burn for awhile and an extra fuel can for refills. The whole system fits in the pot that it comes in. In the end the Army didn't by them because some guys at the Northern Warfare Training Center didn't like them. I've used mine alot and love it.
    vapor jet stove.jpg
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast