Thread: 557 hp outboard

Default 557 hp outboard

How big can outboards be? There is a company making a 557 hp outboard that weighs 1,000 lbs.(they are a little pricey though $68,900). Here is a link to their website http://www.seven-marine.com/motors/technology/ and a youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZaQgQIUt8w

There is a several page thread in the power boating forum if you want to read about it. I don't know how to post a link so you will have to search for it.

It's a small block chevy, 6.2 liter if I remember right. if you go to thehulltruth.com you can find lots of posts on it. There's a 557HP and one just a tad smaller. Theory is less drag in the water than running triples and same power

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    There is a several page thread in the power boating forum if you want to read about it. I don't know how to post a link so you will have to search for it.
    Thanks. I should have looked/posted there first

What is the object of having an outboard vs inboard? I thought the inboards are more efficient and easier to work on?

Quote Originally Posted by ARTSBEST View Post
    What is the object of having an outboard vs inboard? I thought the inboards are more efficient and easier to work on?
    You're opening a HUGE can of worms with that one...

One positive is that you don't have to winterize an outboard like you do with an inboard. I have also been told by some that you can keep a spare one in your garage and quickly swap it out if you have problems so you don't lose any fishing time.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded