Thread: DU last night

Default DU last night

Last night was awesome. DU, you did a great job. The food good was great, way things moved was perfect, seeing old faces is always nice. Saw allot of friends last night that this was there first time ever to a DU banquet....

Oh yes, Marlin I got my Puppy!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

photo.jpg

Here her is!!!!!
    I had the choice between the Yellow and this guy. Wife fell in love with the one.
    Wife and Kids decided to name him DUKE!!!!!
    Once Spring gets here and I will get him started on becoming my Duck hunting partner....

Never trained a dog to hunt so any tips would be great..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What a pretty puppy!!! All the pics of the baby labs I have been seeing makes me want to get another one. I would get with Baron at wetland retrievers for dog training. He is really good and he trains you to train the dog. Or you can pay him to do it, but there is no fun in that. If you want a really good do it yourself dvd check out duck dog basics by Chris Akin. He spells it out from step one, and it's really easy to follow. Good luck, I hope your puppy turns out to be a fantastic hunting partner.

The one piece of advice I would give, don't start on the training too quickly. Let her be a puppy for a while before you start getting her ready for hunting.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    photo.jpg

Here her is!!!!!
    I had the choice between the Yellow and this guy. Wife fell in love with the one.
    Wife and Kids decided to name him DUKE!!!!!
    Once Spring gets here and I will get him started on becoming my Duck hunting partner....

Never trained a dog to hunt so any tips would be great..
    Since you were the guest. I figured it was only right you got the dog. I got busy with other things and didn't even get a chance to follow along. I'm glad you got him. I understand the kennel he came out of is first class. Good job bidding.

Marlin your a gentleman on passing on the dog, so I could win it.....
    Did I mention I got the 3 cases of beer. Threw my ticket in the wrong bucket
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Which day did you go Sat? On Friday the guy took both lol 3200 donated tho!

Friday the two dogs went to two different people. The family that took the yellow had a small problem, their small son kept giggling and laughing with it. It was a good match. The reason I know is I'm the guy that handed them the dog. My daughter is the one that carried the pup around before and during the bidding. Hey Gray, I worked at the banquet to and wish I had kown who you were to put face to name.

I was at table 32. Everytime your daughter walked past our table, my wife kept asking to hold him. I was all in camo, so it may of been hard to see me
    My kids are loving the dog right now. My other dog has taken to him and it's awesome how they play together.
    I was also the one that one the 3 cases of beer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yes, another great DU event. It gets better every year.

Marlin, sound like you ran another great banquet Sat night. CONGRADULATIONS!!! DU should be offering you a national job to run banquets. Hey, I even saw you on national TV last night. You were on the History channel, guess they thought you were old enough to be a antique or something. It was the show on taxadermy competition, at the Denali center saffari club event. You were just looking at some stuff on a table. Bud

What are you talking about??? I am old enough to be antique!! Make a great trophy too!!. I hope they do more than a head mount tho.
    It was a good one though. Lots and lots of guns. We gave away some great stuff. Lots of TV's, tools, furs, 2 gun safes. I think everyone had fun. I really like the all you can eat baby backs too. That alone draws people out. Glad every one could make it both nights. I've got some great ideas for Friday night next year. It'll be even better, hide and watch!!

Alaska Grey, congrats for taking home Duke. We're the family that took home the yellow puppy. We named him Kodi, short for Kodiak. Funny thing is I told the auctioneer to come to table 14 because we were taking home a puppy that night, must have been the beer from the beer mug raffle talking. Ya'll had to go and bid a hundred dollars over our limit and crushed my dreams.....just busting your chops! I was pretty suprized when they asked me if I'd like to match your bid for the second puppy. Everything worked out perfect as mama and my 1yr son were in love with the Kodi and playing all night. We were happy to match the bid as it goes to a great cause! Funny thing is, we had planned not to spend over $100......guess that plan failed. I had the same plan at the SCI banquet and left with one of the Safari's. The only thing that saved my hide was that mama gets to be one of the shooters also!

We ended up with Kodi and a little Green Wings camping chair for my boy from the silent auction. All in all, it was a great night and we're looking forward to the RMEF banquet in November . Here is a picture of Kodi crashed out on the couch after chasing twigs in the backyard!
    Attached Images Attached Images