Thread: Range finders

Default Range finders

I am currently looking for a range finder to assist us mostly in archery hunting and 3D shooting. It was suggested to get one with True Ballistic Range to accomodate for shooting up or down inclines ect. After a visit to Sportsmans warehouse and looking at them they only had 2 models w/BTR. One was a Bushnell and the other a Leupold. Now I know everyone likes the Leupold for various reasons but what struck me as odd was they were the same price. I am planning on purchasing the Leupold RX-IV at the moment but thought I'd ask for some more input. Thoughts?
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 03-04-2007 at 20:09. Reason: SP

Default Range finder info

Horn-
    I spent some time researching these in the fall and can give you a few cents worth. Since you are interested in archery hunting mainly, I think you will be fine with either of those choices.

I too, was curious about the low price on the Luppy and questioned it. Conclusions were based only on opinions and theory, but mainly came down to the quality of glass. When I compared the likes of Luepold and Bushnell, everything was about the same (I thought the Bushnell had better glass and was easier to use) and when I compared Luepold with nikon or better glass, the Luppy didn't match up. This leads me to believe that Leupold slacked on the quality, maybe...not sure. With that being said, I think either would work great for archery.

check these out.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=range+finder

Some good stuff in those threads, have a look and then fire away with the questions!

Good Luck, buck

Default Range Finder

I have owned the Bushnell, did not fit my hand very well. I had a very hard time squeezing the button to engage it. I sold it for 1/2 of what I paid for it. I have a Leupold scope that came with a scope coat type cover. After I shot my ram this year, I left it were I shot and could not find it. I called Leupold to order a replacement and the rep said he would send me one for free. While on the phone I ask him the very same question. Why so cheap. He said that Leupold has just getting into the range finder market and made the decision to price low to get more market share. I bought the RX-II, I really like it. Small light and accurate. The TBR works as advertised. Used it take 3 animals this year, with shots at 400, 325, and 60 yards. All types of weather. This was my 3rd range finder. I have a Nikon, sold the Bushnell, and will be keeping the Leupold for several years. Great company, great customer service. Got my new scope cover in the mail with 3 days. He could have been blowing smoke, but I believe what he said.

Steve

Thanks for the threads Buck, I didn't even think to try a search. I guess that's because the search function doesn't give me what I want for some reason. Anyway there was some good information although not to much said about the Leupold. One thing I did notice was the display in the Bushnell was much clearer/darker and the Leupold was difficult to read. I asked the guy about it and he said there was a green backlight in the Leupold that helps but he couldn't get it to work and wasn't real helpful either. So does the light help or not? Looks like I need to make a trip to a better store. $500 really is more than I wanted to spend but my wife says we have to get one so I gotta get this figured out before she changes her mind.

Talking start collecting pennies!

Bighorn-
    If you've got $500 to spend, I would save another $100 and buy the Lieca CRF 1200!! Absolutely NO comparison...it is by far the clearest glass, brightest readout display, accurate target finding, easiest functioning Range finder on the market! The thing is absolutely amazing, downfall for you is that it does not have the ballistic range finding capabilities that you are looking for... I envy the position you are in!!
    buck

Well its done, she made me settle on the Leupold RX-III. It has the features we were looking for but only a range of 1200yds instead of 1500yds. She really wanted the TBR function for archery so I guess she got what she wanted.