Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this your barrel?

Default Is this your barrel?

If this is your barrel please pm me. In unit 7. You are causing problems for the established baiters in the area. Your barrel is right on the main trail to other bait sites that we've been using for years. We all have to walk within 15 yards of your barrel to get to sites we've been using for years. ***. Every other bait site in the area setup at least 100 yards or more off the trail. you need to set it up further off the trail anyway so you can view the barrel before being right on top of it.

Also please take down the warning sign for bait stations that is right at the highway. Put it on the trail further in if you want to. All someone has to do is slow down long enough to read the sign to know that that is a baiting area. we have managed to keep this area quiet for years and you're broadcasting it to the whole world.

there are 4 other sites in there please don't screw it up for everybody
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lol I can see this thread getting interesting. People dont care about "established baiters" or if someone has been hunting a certain area for years. If it is all on public land it really doesnt matter. Morally I personally wouldnt bait on top of someone especially if I knew they have been there for a while. But as access becomes easier and more people want to bait there are going to be more issues like this and there is nothing you can do about it really execpt move thats why this year we are way more than 1/4 off the road and alot further from town than 90% of other people that I know. Same thing happened with my trapline this year. Had someone move in right on top of me. The most you can do is let them know you are there and let them decide. IF they say F- you there isnt a thing you can do but move. IT is illegal to mess with their site/supplies so you may be SOL.

Edit:and trust me if you are off of a main trail like you claim chances are your place isnt much of a secret.

Yes 425 this is gonna get interesting, I fought with guys here about ethics, and have learned, it's to each his own.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Popping Popcorn NOW!!!
    Geeesh...doesn't everyone KNOW that a vehicle parked in the bar ditch or at the trailhead this time of year represents a bait station? Actually a sign at the point of entry imo is not a bad thing. Better that hikers and posey sniffers know this before they get all dressed up in their costumes and halfway down a trail...only to then run into a sign...that might make the angry.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

just post the small required sign with permit # and hunting license #'s. They will find out there is a bait station when then run into some hungry bears

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    just post the small required sign with permit # and hunting license #'s. They will find out there is a bait station when then run into some hungry bears
    And Hopefully You have a Multi-MILLION dollar "Umbrella" Insurance policy, because if someone's children get mauled, it is going to be very expensive. NOTE: This post is not directed towards Bsj425, but towards the entire Baiting community. I guarentee this is a nightmare just waiting to happen.

and thus why my bait station is a PITA to get to.. less people to deal with

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    And Hopefully You have a Multi-MILLION dollar "Umbrella" Insurance policy, because if someone's children get mauled, it is going to be very expensive. NOTE: This post is not directed towards Bsj425, but towards the entire Baiting community. I guarentee this is a nightmare just waiting to happen.
    Are you against baiting you seem to always be negative when talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Are you against baiting you seem to always be negative when talking about it.
    NO.......I am 100% in support of "Responsible" Baiting. And I give Free bait to baiter's, and help them in anyway I can. My issue is that most baiter's "THINK" their station is remote. And to those of us who spend hours every day wondering in the National Forest, we have learned that what Baiter's think is a 1/4 mile is in-fact 100 yards or maybe 200 Yards. I find a lot of stations every year, and most are illegal in some way, mostly location.
    It is my opinion that the baiting community needs to clean up it's act, or it risks loosing the privilege the baiting is.

NO.......I am 100% in support of "Responsible" Baiting. And I give Free bait to baiter's, and help them in anyway I can. My issue is that most baiter's "THINK" their station is remote. And to those of us who spend hours every day wondering in the National Forest, we have learned that what Baiter's think is a 1/4 mile is in-fact 100 yards or maybe 200 Yards. I find a lot of stations every year, and most are illegal in some way, mostly location.
    It is my opinion that the baiting community needs to clean up it's act, or it risks loosing the privilege the baiting is.
    Alter some of the details and replace "Baiting" and "Baiter's" with "Fisherman, Hunters, ATV'ers, etc." and you've squarely identified the overwhelming issue facing almost any Wilderness Pursuit out there these days. The ambivalent minority besmirching the image the rest of us strive to protect....

Rep inbound.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Ok now I see your point one bad apple can srew it up for all of us. Ive seen the same thing and agree with you 100%. Im glad I bait on the river make sure Im at least mile in Chris

I also agree with AGL on this one honestly. When I was scouting around trappers creek I spoke to a local woman who said she found "caution bear bait station" signs literally 100 feet from her back yard and was worried about it. I told her that if its a legit station the station ID could be turned into F&G to fix the issue. Granted I am a "newbie" when it comes to baiting but I wanted to ensure I was within the "regs" and safe for others. We walked back 6 miles into the bush to make sure we were clear on everything. We found a great site but then located a remote cabin so we had to move on to a different area. Hopefully people will clean up their stations and follow the rules as yes if something bad does occur at your site and it pans out you do not have the proper identification someone could be in a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Alter some of the details and replace "Baiting" and "Baiter's" with "Fisherman, Hunters, ATV'ers, etc." and you've squarely identified the overwhelming issue facing almost any Wilderness Pursuit out there these days. The ambivalent minority besmirching the image the rest of us strive to protect....

Rep inbound.
    Why should anyone care what the 'other guy' is doing?

Maybe if we all practiced what we preach and just let individuals demonstrate some "individuality" the world would be a better place.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Why should anyone care what the 'other guy' is doing?

Maybe if we all practiced what we preach and just let individuals demonstrate some "individuality" the world would be a better place.

Hey 'Res, if your intent is to follow me from post to post and try to continue to incite things, go for it. But I'll have to warn you, as much as you may desire a relationship, I prefer the Ladies, and your adams apple belies your bloomers.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Perhaps instead of complaining to all of us on the board you should seek out the user of this bait station and chat with him. Just a thought. Not trying to be a jerk, but really if you want this to get resolved that is what you are going to have to do.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Hey 'Res, if your intent is to follow me from post to post and try to continue to incite things, go for it. But I'll have to warn you, as much as you may desire a relationship, I prefer the Ladies, and your adams apple belies your bloomers.....
    Not at all <grin> but I can't help but find it interesting to see how so many change tunes and directions...often.
    I don't care if a guy wants to bait bears or birds...I don't care...but I think it is wise to bait bears in spring and birds in winter...just sayin'
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Lol I can see this thread getting interesting. People dont care about "established baiters" or if someone has been hunting a certain area for years. If it is all on public land it really doesnt matter. Morally I personally wouldnt bait on top of someone especially if I knew they have been there for a while. But as access becomes easier and more people want to bait there are going to be more issues like this and there is nothing you can do about it really execpt move thats why this year we are way more than 1/4 off the road and alot further from town than 90% of other people that I know. Same thing happened with my trapline this year. Had someone move in right on top of me. The most you can do is let them know you are there and let them decide. IF they say F- you there isnt a thing you can do but move. IT is illegal to mess with their site/supplies so you may be SOL.

Edit:and trust me if you are off of a main trail like you claim chances are your place isnt much of a secret.
    This area is still a secret, I spend alot of time there and have only ever seen the 3 other baiters. It is not a "Well established trail", in fact you would never be able to pick it out if you didn't know exactly how to get onto it. It is however the only trail to continue up the ridgeline. It is a foot trail and it goes straight up a mountain. My bait stand is another 1/2 mile past this guys, but he put it right on top of the trail.

I'm not asking the guy to change anything other than just moving his barrel 50 yards further back from the trail. That won't change anything about his chances, and it will allow me and the guys from elmendorf (another site above this one) to use our normal trail without walking into a sow and cub having lunch.

Additionally, the first place you can see the barrel is right as you crest this hill and you are 15 yards away from the barrel. The guy would be better served to put it 50 yards back so he can come over the rise quietly and get a shot on any bears that might be on it. As it's set up now he will scare the bears away any time he comes into it.

I have no problem with more baiters in this area, there are tons of bears, but this is putting others at risk. We all use that trail to get in, but we were all courteous enough to put our stations 100 yards off this access trail. It really is the only way in and out because it follows a ridgeline up.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Popping Popcorn NOW!!!
    Geeesh...doesn't everyone KNOW that a vehicle parked in the bar ditch or at the trailhead this time of year represents a bait station? Actually a sign at the point of entry imo is not a bad thing. Better that hikers and posey sniffers know this before they get all dressed up in their costumes and halfway down a trail...only to then run into a sign...that might make the angry.
    In this particular area, a sign that catches the attention of EVERY SINGLE car that drives by is not a good idea. This is not a hiking/biking area at all. You wouldn't be able to pick out a trail if you drove past it 100 times. This is an unknown area and we would like to keep it that way. I'm stoked this guy has a new baiting area and welcome him, but move your sign back 10 feet from the highway so people only see it if they stop here. They still get there warning, but we don't get people stopping thinking "what is that sign on that tree."

I used the word trail, it might have been overkill. This is not a place where people go for hikes or bike rides. It goes straight up a ridgeline and it is historically been an unknown.

My bait station is in fact remote. It's 1 mile off the road (by GPS) and is hike in only in some rough country. It is difficult to get to and you will never even find my site even if you are looking for it. It's off the trail quite a ways and in a spot no one will just be "wandering around the national forest."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast