Thread: Marlin 336 Ultra Youth Rifle!

Default Marlin 336 Ultra Youth Rifle!

Alaska_Lanche and I each snagged Marlin 336Ys for hopes of a fairly light, short, fast handling truck gun.

We also spied that Ram-line makes a synthetic youth conversion kit for a 336 and we snagged a couple of those as well hoping to shed a few ounces in the process. With the condition of my Burris scope that had previously been on my hunting rifle, the durability of the synthetic stock set would be another plus.

We got the rifles and the first thing we thought was "HOLY WORST EVER EXECUTED GROTESQUE REAR CANKLE STOCK!" This thing is U-G-L-Y and I wasn't sad to see it go. The much slimmer grip was a welcome feeling for my teeny weeny hands as well...

Installing the rear stock was a no-brainer, and this was where all the weight savings came into play.

Marlin rear stock--21.9oz
    Ram-line syn stock--12.4 oz

In addition to the weight savings, the OAL of the gun was shortened by 1", as was the LOP down to 12 1/2".

Stock 336Y OAL--34 3/4"
    Ram-line Syn OAL--33 3/4"

Apparently the Ram-line kit makes your 336 into a 336 youth gun, not your 336Y into a 336UY, as the fore end stock was too long.

So we started a bit of stock work (I know The Kid and Gunbugs will laugh) with a chop saw and a dremel (every ones favorite gunsmithing tool )

Cut to length and after some more power tooling and hand sanding, this is what we came up with. (Pic of stock isnt 100% touched up)

Last edited by hunt_ak; 04-22-2011 at 23:32.

After much fitting, trimming, pushing, and pulling, we got the fore stock fitted up and this what we were looking at for a final stock swap...

vs. the stock 336Y

And with QD bases/rings and a redfield 2-7x33, she sits at:

So after we were up until midnight doing this to Alaska_Lanches rifle, he left me to do mine on my own and I took a bit of a different route with what I'm going to try for optics.

I don't have rifle weights with the receiver length picatinny rail and red-dot, but I'm assuming a few ounces less...nothing real exciting...

Liked yah work on Lanche's rifle. I got down n dirty with that thirty thirty. It was a fast rifle, I liked it. I emptied the mag on target in seconds, it didn't jump at all.

I'm looking forward to some range time and singing our new AR500 steel targets with it. Lanche has had his barking and off the shelf the lever-revolution was the clear winner IIRC, but I could've guessed that. Come hand-load time, it should be fun to see what we can eek out of these little doggies...

Pretty cool little truck guns if you ask me. Only thing I would have done different would have been to stick with only a ghostring with a Sourdough front sight. But I bet they will serve your needs just like they are. Cool project and I hope you see a legal bull on the roadside this fall to try it out.

I'm liking the looks of those rifles myself. Nice job guys!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Only thing I would have done different would have been to stick with only a ghostring with a Sourdough front sight...
    Man, that sounds good! Anyway I could add a low-profile rear ghost ring like the xs system and eliminate the OEM rear sight? At anything but full daylight, man its hard for me to make a clear sight picture with that buckhorn rear...

Sourdough front sight? I'll have to look it up...

I've only shot a few hundred rounds with a couple ghost ring sights, but overall........I'm very impressed. I'm able to get one hole groups at 25 yards when I was trying to get it close (during initial sight-in) on a 308. I was just trying to get the sight somewhat close and didn't expect that. As far as a little rivah rifle is concerned, they are real nice. I bet an accurate 200 yd. shot would be possible with a ghost ring.