Thread: Penetration Tests.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Penetration Tests.

Yesterday, I made some Penetration Tests with my 357 Magnum RIFLE.

(EKC, with the acquisition of this Rife, a Monster has been created. )

I stood close, maybe 15 yards back, to make sure I didnít miss the Penetration Media.

I used a handload, consisting of a 158 grain SWC GC bullet loaded with a goodly amount, 15.7 grains of H110 smokeless powder, and CCI 350 Primer.

My media was 3 different, and quite obsolete Hard Drives from obsolete computers. Now deceased.

I first fired one shot each at all three of these Hard Drives. The bullets penetrated plumb through each of them, and I was quite surprised, as well as, pleased with the results.

The last shot at the last Media was rather spectacular. It literally exploded the hapless Hard Drive, and a piece of it landed about 10 feet up, in a tree that was close by, and I hadda knock it down with a stick, so I could dispose of it, after itís demise.

This would seem to prove the old adage that ďshot placement is everythingĒ. The previous two Hard Drives were also annihilated, with the first shot, and after giving them each another round, to confirm the penetration results, I gathered up the pieces and disposed of them properly.

I chose this Penetration Media, because it was available, and because, although I had no incriminating data stored on the Hard Drives, I do like my privacy. I wanted to destroy them anyway. I kilt 2 birds with the same rock, you might say.

Some folks may feel like Hard Drives are a rather unorthodox, choice of something to shoot at, but I think, that sometimes we go with what weíve got, and Iím very comfortable with it.

I've also, learned from this effort. Iím now, certain that a Hard Drive would NOT make a good Shooting Gong. It just wouldnítí LAST.

Iíd like to hear from the rest of you, about some of the things YOUíVE used for targets. Perhaps, ďsomethingĒ, that you had developed an intense dislike for, and you wanted to end itís useful existence for therapeutic reasons.

There must be a lot of interesting stories out there. Letís hear them. PLEASE, itíll make me feel better.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I can see where a man would get a lot of satisfaction testing penetration with hard drives Smitty. Without question I detest cell phones more than any other piece of modern technology, but using them as test media for penetration hadn't crossed my mind till now...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

All I know about that is that I've sure seen a lot of TV's, all shot up, out at those Rogue Roadside shooting ranges,

Looks kind of like an Impulse Shooting thing,....

After my recent foray into the Lower 48, doing some "hotel TV time wasting,"...
    there's No Doubt in my mind, as to the Highly Therapeutic Value of such a Shooting

That entire, Reality TV craze,...definitely needs some Gun Powder expended in it's direction
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Donate the hard drives and cell phones to the collection banks for the needy and injured vets, there will be ALOT of posters soon with criminals - Oh I mean politicians, running for office to use!
    I have some empty small LP tanks that sure look inviting - hopefully they will go Kaboom!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

EKC's thread on "I love My 338-06" comes to mind

Several years ago the local hospital got all new toilets. A local farmer with a big wash out took the old ones to put in that hole. There were 70 of them total. The farmer being a good friend let us have our way with them. So we took them out of the pile one at a time, sat them at the edge of the hole and shot them to pieces then we shot up the pieces. It took us most of the summer to work through that pile of toilets and a whole lot of bullets.

That was 20 years ago when the going price for an SKS was $90 and a case of .762x39s could be had for less than a hundred bucks. I bought one of each just for the occasion and then sold the rifle for what I gave for it after the ammo and pots were gone!

Good fun, EKC:

And, it served a practical purpose too.

How ridiculous, to call us Gun NUTS, when every pull of the trigger benefits mankind.

They oughta give us ALL Presidents Medals, (but wait til we get a different administration than the one we have currently.)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Many years ago a NAPA store I worked at got in several cases of starter fluid for the upcoming winter season. Shortly after arrival we got a letter saying that some of the cans in that lot were leaking and it needed to be destroyed. The boss asked how to go about destroying it. The next Saturday was a fun day disposing of many cans of very flammable high pressure liquid. The proceedure was to set several cans of starter fluid in front of a small fire and then unload on them with our 22s. Very therapeudic. It puts a grin on your face that's hard to remove. Would have been fun to stack some computers and cell phones and such in the mix but they didn't exist then. Fortunately the EPA didn't exist either.

Well, I loaded some new 140 grain Nosler Ballistic tips last night for my neglected Ruger 77R in 280 and went out today for some fun. Put up a target at 100 and popped off 5 shots - I was having a hard time making out any hits and couldn't believe it when I walked up and had 5 in a .74 spread 1.75in above bullseye! Yehaw - I loaded RL19 at 56.5 and chrony avg'd 2880fps - I think that will work just fine -
    Oh, now for the reason of the post - I put a propane bottle off of a torch on the target stand and put a round into it from 100 yards - whamo! No big boom but a big explosion of a white cloud engulfed the area and I still have not found where the bottle went to! I like, I like!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

You guys will never grow up! At least I hope you don't!

A small fire or candle off to one side a couple of feet makes it even more fun.

Hey guys, that's the kinda stuff I was lookin for.

I KNEW, I was missin out on the good stuff.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

It's never too late, besides, I'll never grow up.

Default A real BLAST

Try throwing a full can in a fire sometime! Especially interesting at night on a sand bar or somewhere it won't a start a fire. Running like heck after you toss it goes without saying.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    A small fire or candle off to one side a couple of feet makes it even more fun.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK