Thread: mud motors and boats

Default mud motors and boats

Im thinking of getting a little mud motor. Right now I see a 16 hp go-devil for sale.

What I would like is a small boat that can get me up and down the small creeks. And also through the shallow muskeg ponds. If it would work Id like to get a small enough boat to put on top of my 6wheeler, maybe a raft that i can inflate/deflate and put in the bed of the wheeler.

Boat will be used for fishing and moose hunting, and making a few trips to get the moose out is fine.

So what do you guys recommend?

I have a new four river layout boat with a 6 horse mud buddy long tail that Im looking to sell what is your price range it come with a small trailer but Im just throwing that in go to four river layout web page I have the longest one I think right under 14 foot. Motor and boat only used once for about 10 minutes to test drive then started hunting Big Su so I didnt need it.

Well that 16 hp motor is 1150.00. I thought Id pick that up and a small jon for another 1k, Or put it on a cataraft that I already have.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well that 16 hp motor is 1150.00. I thought Id pick that up and a small jon for another 1k, Or put it on a cataraft that I already have.
    What does that 16 hp motor weigh?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Im thinking of getting a little mud motor. Right now I see a 16 hp go-devil for sale.

What I would like is a small boat that can get me up and down the small creeks. And also through the shallow muskeg ponds. If it would work Id like to get a small enough boat to put on top of my 6wheeler, maybe a raft that i can inflate/deflate and put in the bed of the wheeler. A 15 foot grumman sport canoe/boat, is also an AMAZING little boat if you should ever find one used, grab it quick. A guy on here transports moose meat around the nowitna and parks his big boat. He had a whole moose in it with a little 6hp yamaha. I wish he'd show his pictures.

Boat will be used for fishing and moose hunting, and making a few trips to get the moose out is fine.

So what do you guys recommend?

The esquif mallard and a 6 hp. copperhead would be a good choice. It is made of royalite which is light, will go atop of a home made 6 wheeler utility rack, and the motor can be clamped to a home made motor mount that attached to your rear 6x6 ATV rack. I'm sure Ironartist on this forum would be an excellent guy to help you with you custom rack, and motor mount brackets.

Here is a thorough link to the discussion and I suggest you really read it through, it's got a wealth of links, videos, and everything you need to see what the copperhead will do.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...31-Mokai-Boats

and here's another very important discussion that you should throughly read that is relevant to your niche boat application:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...646-mud-motors

Mainer, I like that esquif but it looks like you need to pick it up in Canada, is that correct?

yes, that is true. If yah got a large truck, grab up a small little car from a family member or buddy, and make the run for one if you really like it. You can get em from whitehorse which aint too bad. YukonerTed makes the run to Anchorage in a little kia wagon with a 4-banger. I just got my passport card and will be making the run in about 2 weeks. If you find yourself interested in one, check on availability with Kalin at up north adventures, pay for it, get boat registration stickers and I'll bring it back for yah. I'll put mine on top of my utility rack, and your's in the truck bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    What does that 16 hp motor weigh?
    that motor weighs 170lbs.

Mainer- Oh man that would be awesome if you could pick one up for me. Uhhh. Kinda a rush decision. Ill give that place a call tomorrow Do you think you would have room for to haul back that Esquif Heron?

You dont think the 80lb weight of that 6 horse copperhead would make that mallard unstable?