Thread: Halibut Fishing Etiquette

Default Halibut Fishing Etiquette

Please keep in mind that halibut fishing involves drawing fish in on the current, often spending a large investment of time clueing these fish into your scent field. Deep,shallow,kelp or open ocean it is extremly bad etiquette to anchor or drift off the stern of another boat and will definitely raise more the a few hackles.That being said, their is plenty of water, plenty of fish and there on there way.Have fun and be safe this season

I am afraid to anchor my little rubber boat - maybe I could tie off to your stern with a 100 foot rope ?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I am afraid to anchor my little rubber boat - maybe I could tie off to your stern with a 100 foot rope ?
    oh, so you are one of THOSE Homer boys????
    (no offense to the properly educated and polite fishermen that reside there

I have been yelled at on the radio by charter guy's ..... reminding me of the 1/2 mile rule when out side of reseruction bay .... do not know if that is a state or federal reg ....

Oh by the way, when the gun gos off on my boat they usually move in ..... just kidding

The only time it is ok to anchor right behind some one is if they jumped on your numbers from the day before by runnig up on you and marking it. Then you can drop anchor on thier swimstep!!

Charterboat Operator

I think we know a few people like that don't we MGH55! It's not in your best interest get by me! all make you look bad!

What's this 1/2 mile rule/reg you state?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    What's this 1/2 mile rule/reg you state?
    That's something the charter guys made up. But it only applies if they are anchored first. They won't have a problem anchoring right behind you or right in the middle of where everyone else is trying to drift through, sometimes two at a time so they can block the whole area.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

That's kind of what I was assuming. Half a mile is a long ways and I've had countless people anchor up within a 100yds of me. Didn't make me happy or keep my buddies from giving them some lip. I just didn't want to miss some rule I could throw at them when they do this. I tend to try and stay outta of peoples way. When I have made a mistake I've been the first to apologize for my stupidity.

As long as I have enough room to swing and to pull my anchor (buoy system), I generally don't have a complaint. Want to make sure we don't run the risk of hooking anchor lines, too. Though it does make me nervous to have someone drift too close when I'm already anchored in a spot.

"What's this 1/2 mile rule/reg you state?"

Just a joke ... 4 or 5 years ago I got a call on the radio from a boat mabey 300 yds away, We were drifting through the rock piles south of Montague and he started talking about 1/2 mile seperation, mabey he was having a bad day. It is a real big ocean out there and lots of good places to catch fish, most places I go now are not the popular known to have fish spots just to avoid that kind of thing.

In my humble opinion, it is plan boating and fishing etiquette, period. Then to back it up, it really is how much crap do you want to deal with both on the water and back at the docks. I don't believe there are any rules or regulations around this and have seen in equal amounts both personal boat owners and commercial ones do really stupid things.

I have to deal with enough during my normal work weeks, I look to enjoy the weekends on the water and if ya-who's want to act like this on the water, then I will move, yell, ask my boating guests if they need to use the head (as much as they want) :-). Last I checked, none of us, and I mean none of us, own the waters we use.

Happy boating and fishing this season.
    Tony

If I was on a charter and the lame ass started yelling at other boaters, I wouldn't be very impressed. They can have their 1/2 mi rule, I'll fish where I want. I'm pretty sure if they want to address the matter in a physical nature on the beach, that will be the last of their professional charter experience, because I'm pretty sure the law frowns on charter guys beating up other mariners.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    If I was on a charter and the lame ass started yelling at other boaters, I wouldn't be very impressed. They can have their 1/2 mi rule, I'll fish where I want. I'm pretty sure if they want to address the matter in a physical nature on the beach, that will be the last of their professional charter experience, because I'm pretty sure the law frowns on charter guys beating up other mariners.
    That's exactly what I thought, I wonder what his clients are going to share about this trip. Yelling obscenities to the top of his lungs about his sent trail and do not drop that f***ing anchor there. But we were so far he was afraid we could not here him so he hailed us on the VHF and continued his rant. I decided to move on for my own safety and had concerns as to the condition of my boat the next trip down as it was slipped locally.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyRaven View Post
    That's exactly what I thought, I wonder what his clients are going to share about this trip. Yelling obscenities to the top of his lungs about his sent trail and do not drop that f***ing anchor there. But we were so far he was afraid we could not here him so he hailed us on the VHF and continued his rant. I decided to move on for my own safety and had concerns as to the condition of my boat the next trip down as it was slipped locally.
    You guys must be talking about a Kenai River wilderness fishing experience. I gave that fishery up 20 years ago.

Usually Halibut fishing is a mellow experience (except when the kids crank up the heavy metal), nothing at all like pony cove for silvers about the 4th of july .... now that is a real circus! I am "dittos" on the kenai river thing, loved that river in the 80's & earily 90's. I think the only real good advice here is not to cut off someones scent trail if they are at anchor, sort of like cheating. In the last two years, I have been drifting more than anchoring, I do just as well. Being semiretired I try to avoid the weekend warriors, many of them are just too competive and all wound up, with out a lot of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Who says they would be the ones coming out on top of a physical confrontation LOL

Charterboat Operator

O wait a minute! your forgetting the ever so famous reverse cork! The fella has good intentions and dose not want to set up behind you so he gets just up in front of you a little ways and dumps it out just before the tide is turning and then I end up on his bow any way! bravo! thanks!!!!!

Oh yea .... hahaha

The best move is to drop up current when its ripping and drag down on top of someone and act like you can't get the motor started. When they panic and move let out more scope to get stopped on the spot they were fishing. Just joking!!!!