Thread: Luthman Trail/Montana Creek

Default Luthman Trail/Montana Creek

First time on the forum and just had a few questions. I had fished Montana Creek in mid June last year. I'm heading up last week of June again. I had drove past Luthman Trail off Yoder Rd and just wanted to know if anyone has hiked this trail before(I was alone last year and heard about the bears) and if there is indeed any fly fishing off the trail. I had heard the rainbow fishing a ways into the trail was spectacular, but so were the bears.

Also, are there any other streams which offer salmon/trout fishing in that area without the crowds? I don't mind a short hike on a halfway developed trail if I get some space from the combat fishing.

Lastly, what types/sizes of flies should I pack? I did well on black and green wooly buggers on the rainbows, but would like to catch a few kings or silvers this time around.

Thanks for the help!!

Welcome to the forum...

Most of the Parks Hwy streams can be fished for trout upstream of the Hwy without seeing anyone else on the water... I wouldn't recommended Montanna Creek though - no fish up there ;-)

Fry and alevin patterns, stone flies, buggers, and leaches are great for early season. Late season you will have more luck with beads and flesh as the trout's feeding behavior is dictated by what the salmon are doing.

I can't speak for salmon fishing, as far as what to use or where to go. But I think crowds are a given since the areas you can (or more like can't) fish for them are pretty well regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by captain beefy View Post
    First time on the forum and just had a few questions. I had fished Montana Creek in mid June last year. I'm heading up last week of June again. I had drove past Luthman Trail off Yoder Rd and just wanted to know if anyone has hiked this trail before(I was alone last year and heard about the bears) and if there is indeed any fly fishing off the trail. I had heard the rainbow fishing a ways into the trail was spectacular, but so were the bears.

Also, are there any other streams which offer salmon/trout fishing in that area without the crowds? I don't mind a short hike on a halfway developed trail if I get some space from the combat fishing.

Lastly, what types/sizes of flies should I pack? I did well on black and green wooly buggers on the rainbows, but would like to catch a few kings or silvers this time around.

Thanks for the help!!
    Yeah, there's fishing off the trail. It's 4 miles, goes to the falls on the middle fork. Open to motorized use, so if you're walking, watch yourself.
    Good fishing farther up, on the the North, South, and Middle forks.
    Bears are Not a problem. Don't bother them, they don't bother you.

Yes there's other streams that offer fishing without crowds. No big secret, every bridge you drive over between wasilla and cantwell has fish.

Default The trail

You will not use a motorized anything on the trail. The trail gets very faint in some places, requiring picking your way through brush, walking across logs over water, and looking out for bears, are all part of that journey. The rainbows will follow the kings up-stream and you can get fly fishing access at the spawning grounds, where the trail crosses the shallow stream. As you approach the falls, whitewater will be encounted, which does not stop the kings, which make it all the way to the base of the falls. I have swam in the pool, under the 50 foot falls, but have not fished it, but we could assume, if the kings make it the Bow's may also.
    Good luck, and carry bear spray... seriously.
    Another option is the South Fork. Go past the bridge about two miles, then take the trail, up the gravel hill, on the left. Proceed, about 3-4 miles, until you come to a clearing, on the left, where people camp. Over the hill, is a section of very swift water which contains spawning salmon, trapped from going further up-stream. I have kayaked the section above this and use that spot mentioned as our take-out, forget fishing above it, because of a series of steep sections and waterfalls.
    Mark

Sounds great. Thanks for all the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    You will not use a motorized anything on the trail. The trail gets very faint in some places, requiring picking your way through brush, walking across logs over water, and looking out for bears, are all part of that journey. The rainbows will follow the kings up-stream and you can get fly fishing access at the spawning grounds, where the trail crosses the shallow stream. As you approach the falls, whitewater will be encounted, which does not stop the kings, which make it all the way to the base of the falls. I have swam in the pool, under the 50 foot falls, but have not fished it, but we could assume, if the kings make it the Bow's may also.
    Good luck, and carry bear spray... seriously.

Mark
    Are we talking about the same trail??? Luthman is the one immediately after the bridge on Yoder. It is DEFINITELY motorized. I've seen dirtbikes and 2wd quads make it on that trail with decent riders. A novice with a 4x4 quad will make it.

Default Worth the hike

Quote Originally Posted by captain beefy View Post

Thanks for the help!!

We just hiked it today. Saw a group fly fishing. DEFINITELY worth the hike. Walked four of our boys up 9, 9, 8, and 5.. There are plenty of fresh four wheeler trails, all the way till 50 ft or so to the falls. One cross at the river is almost waist deep. Saw a few piles of bear poo, but we were all loud enough to keep them away. Good idea to bring some form of protection whenever in the Alaskan wilderness. My sis in law and bro have been there 3 times and never saw bear.