Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $112 halibut GROUPON

Default $112 halibut GROUPON

Who got in on this deal ? I was going to but they sold out

http://www.groupon.com/deals/discove...&date=20110421
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Roger,
    i have two but might not need them, PM me and we can arrange something.
    p.s you can have them for cost, i'm not looking to make a buck

I hope that this works out for those people who bought it. They claim that they sold 1000 of these deals. Valid from May 1- Sept 5 2011. No cash back and subject to availability. 1000 people, 125 days to use it. Seems a little fishy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I hope that this works out for those people who bought it. They claim that they sold 1000 of these deals. Valid from May 1- Sept 5 2011. No cash back and subject to availability. 1000 people, 125 days to use it. Seems a little fishy to me.
    You have to note that this price is just for a spot on the boat, not the entire charter. If you figure they can get 6 people per boat, then they are probably just fine when you figure that a certain percentage won't cash in on the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    You have to note that this price is just for a spot on the boat, not the entire charter. If you figure they can get 6 people per boat, then they are probably just fine when you figure that a certain percentage won't cash in on the deal.
    I more than understand that it is just a spot. Heck, $112 wont even get my boat to the water. They say they run a 6 pack boat. Hopefully they have more than one, because 125 days X 6 people=750 best case scenerio. What about weather days, and prior bookings? I really hope that it works out for you guys. It just seems that some people may not be so happy with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundfisher View Post
    I more than understand that it is just a spot. Heck, $112 wont even get my boat to the water. They say they run a 6 pack boat. Hopefully they have more than one, because 125 days X 6 people=750 best case scenerio. What about weather days, and prior bookings? I really hope that it works out for you guys. It just seems that some people may not be so happy with the outcome.
    I own a small marketing/advertising with my wife and we've worked/dealt with a lot of ex-groupon companies that are extremely disappointed with the results. A lot of them do it because they get a quick kickback of that money, but they end up paying for it over the next several months. A lot of the businesses I speak with end up losing staff because they are tired of doing freebies for people who bought these deals.

The main problem I see with a charter doing this, is that there isnt much extra these groupon people can buy when they come in to do the charter. At least restaurants can sell you a beer or two, but what can a charter offer extra to make more money on these? Tip might be worth it I guess, but in my experience, many people who search for these deals do not always tip much.

Anyways, I hope they do well with it and gain long term clients.

I also hope those who have purchased it get treated right, and not treated like a 'coupon' client and just brought to a chicken hole.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Sounds like going on standby to me, and they might be running two 6 hr trips per day.

Charterboat Operator

wow! In reality, pretty hard to fish much more than 100 days a summer with weather days, IF they could fish 2 trips a day they could squeeze them in. if they had two or 3 baots they would be able to do it for sure. Certainly is A LOT of people to turn at that kind of money, best of luck to the provider, and the recipients, hopefully everyone has fun!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

In looking at the company website, I'm not sure they have their own boats. It looks to be more of a booking type agency who sells fishing packages

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

My wife bought one for her dad who is only going to be in town for a week. Doesn't bode well, maybe I'll get to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    My wife bought one for her dad who is only going to be in town for a week. Doesn't bode well, maybe I'll get to use it.
    If you know when he will be here, book the slot now. Don't wait until then and hope you can get in last minute.

Does anyone know who the charter is? I got a bad feeling this isn't going to end well.

Quote Originally Posted by jtm9 View Post
    Does anyone know who the charter is? I got a bad feeling this isn't going to end well.
    I agree it sounds real Hokey to me.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by javalina View Post
    Roger,
    i have two but might not need them, PM me and we can arrange something.
    p.s you can have them for cost, i'm not looking to make a buck
    If Roger isn't interested, I'd take 'em off your hands. (I'm in between Soldotna and Sterling). Send me a PM with your number if you want to get together.

the homepage link to a book on whitetail hunting isn't real confidence inspiring, nor could i figure out what boat, or even if they had one...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    the homepage link to a book on whitetail hunting isn't real confidence inspiring, nor could i figure out what boat, or even if they had one...
    Their website speaks about fishing with up to 6 people on a 28 foot cabin cruiser, so that is fairly specific and makes me feel fairly sure they have a specific boat they own/use/charter for it.

Shoot I would have bought one just to meet the guy....5 dollar a gallon fuel and he is running 112 dollar fishing trips....That is some smart business.

$112 for the charter. Groupon takes a cut, then if they have to sub out trips, they take a cut off the top before it gets to a guide. This doesn't pass the smell test. Ask any Ninilchik guide if they could do 100 trips at say $75 a head. After everything there can't be anything left over. For those of you who purchased, I would do a little homework so you don't get screwed. IMO

I almost bit on this. My wife told me they sold out at 1000 and I wondered how they were going to fit them all in w/o a fleet.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Fortunately my wife got a spot booked for her dad.

I'm sure they're banking on one person fishing with a coupon, accompanied by one or more full price customers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast