Thread: Leupold Scopes

Default Leupold Scopes

I've never owned one but the consensus seems to be Leupold is the best choice. Is that because of the quality of the optics, reliabilty, guarantee or service? Or is it that Leupold represents the best blend of those qualities?

(d) all the above

I own several Leupold's, and they are quite dependable.

Doc

i agree, all of those reasons.

Third that... I have bought other scopes and then went back to nothing but Leupolds....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Leupold might have the edge on the amount of eye relief, and their service.

Other than that, you haven't missed much.

Smitty of the North

I own Swaro, Kahles, Redfield (Denver), Nikon, Leupold, Weaver GS, Burris, B&L & Mueller. The Leupolds are VariX III's and an FXII and I stick them squarely in the middle as far as optical quality. They're good, but by no means do they break into the top 3 ........ at least to my eyes. Leupold made their reputation on dependability and good customer service. Mine have indeed been quite dependable and I've never had occasion to use their customer service.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default Vxiii

I have Leupold VariX IIs on several rifles, never had an issue. My latest purchase was what I consider a "high end" rifle, so we went to town to get some "really nice" glass for it. The wife and I are by no means experts on anything, meaning there was no "snobery" going into this purchase, just wanted something nice, probably european. After looking through every riflescope of european descend, we had just about agreed on the Swarovski. I was curious to see the Leupold B&C reticle, and that was the only reason I asked to see the VXIII. I could not believe my eyes when I peered through it, so without a word I passed it to the wife for her opinion. She looked through it, then again, and looked over to me with a look of disbelief. She asked once again for the Swarovski...maybe the light had changed or something. Nope. She handed the guy back the Swarovski and told him "we'll take this one", meaning the VXIII. You seriously need to look through as many scopes as fit your budget and taste before laying out the cash, and after doing so I would not have bought the Swarovski for the Leupold price.

you might believe a leupold has it over the swarovski in the store, but once you get in the field and are loosing light and trying to find a critter that matches the background perfectly.....well leupy is just not gonna take that one.

I have a few vari x II's and III's, I have had good results so far with the warranty dept, one trip for a broken cross wire on a vx III and my 6.5-20 goes this week for a tweaked tube, I was sent my first scope back in about two weeks with a collimator report and a letter of appology for it breaking.....I will let you know on the other scope,

FWIW I also sent a Burris fullfield 2 4.5-14 in, it had a piece og debris floating around and it ended up blocking the cross hairs.....bummer, that was a near new scope. I have never had a lick of trouble with:
    bausch & lomb 4000, 4200
    swarovski
    zeiss

I have had problems with:
    leupold vari x II & III
    redfield
    tasco
    simmons
    weaver
    nikon monarch
    burris

I personally like 4200's as my go to mid range glass and zeiss conquest for a little better and I am very impressed with swaro's 4-12x50 w/ TDS....very light and very clear.

Up until a few years ago I was a Leupold user and had them on all my rifles and never had a problem with them and they served me well. My eyes have gotten older and I started having problems with blurry reticles when I increased magnification. I have switched my scopes to Zeiss, their etched reticles stay constant throughout the power range and their glass is much better. I have a friend leaving for the IWA show in Germany tomorrow and hopefully he can pick me up a deal on a Zeiss 2.5-8x32 for one of my 375's.

Doug

Default the best

I consider Leupold scopes to be the best for all of the reason you listed. I've looked at other scopes in the past, but always end up with Leupold. Personally, I favor fixed power scopes, and IMO nobody else comes close to Leupold for value in a fixed power scope. I've never needed to use their customer service, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

As much as I love Leupolds I also have a few other favorites that are equal to or better than Leupolds I own. They are:
    Bushnell 4200's - much cheaper and to my eyes they are as crisp and clear and never had a defective one yet.

Zeiss 3x9 Conquest - rivals the 2.5 x 8 VXIII for the same price, optics may even be better

Weaver 2.5 x 7 Rimfire - most under rated scope on the market for installing on a .22 rifle.
    Tennessee

Default scope choice

I prefer Leupold vari-X III for the best American standard scopes made for clarity, resolution,holding zero and warranty.

If you want something to compete with the Swarovski , Schmidt-Bender Khales or Zeiss you need to get the Leupold Premeir series.

I think the Leupold Premiers are around $900
    All the europeans are around $1400+

I do have to say that of all the scopes I ever tested that the Swarovski was the clearest and had the best resolution.(at about $1400.00 it should have been)

jedi

Default Leupold Scopes

I personally have and have used Bushnell scopes for over 25 years with no problems. One particular one I have had for over 25 years and its still on my woodmaster 742 30-06.

Another, I bang away with on my 300 Win Mag, 700 remington BDL. No problems yet!

I can't get myself to pay the high prices Leupold wants for their products. You can by 3 Bushnells for what Leupold wants for similar products.

With the Bushnell, once they are sighted in they are sighted in. I check them every year to make sure they are on before I go out in the field. I very seldom have to change the zero. Sure saves on ammo and builds the confidence.

Bushnell scopes are clear and crisp. I have never had one fog up of break apart.

I probably by Bushnell; for many years ago I didn't have much money. I bought the best scope I could afford at the time. It hasn't failed me for over 25 years. So I just don't want to change a good thing.

It's kinda like a Ford Truck, once you have had the best, you don't want anything else!!!

Just stirring the pot guys, no need to get all testosteroned on this last comment. :O)

The price of the scope doesn't make the shooter.

Good Hunting,

KatzMO

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by KatzMO View Post
    I can't get myself to pay the high prices Leupold wants for their products. You can by 3 Bushnells for what Leupold wants for similar products.
    KatzMO
    katzMO:
    Pretty much the same here. I have 5 of the newer Bushnells, and not the expensive ones either. 2 Trophys, 2 Legends, and a Sportsman.

They've all worked fine, and to my eyes, are sharper and clearer than the 2 different Leupolds I USTA have. I sold one, and gave the other one away. IME, they aren't what they're cracked up to be.
    Smitty of the North