Thread: Hey TJM! Wooldridge question

Default Hey TJM! Wooldridge question

Now that you have run your Alaskan XL sportjet for awhile, what would you change? I am not talking about creature comforts. I am talking about hull configuration. Such as tunnel or no tunnel. UHMW on bottom or not. High skew impeller vs. standard impeller. How well does the stompgrate work (does it sacrifice performance). Items like that.

I had Glen build my first boat back in about '91 or so. I am now on my second Wooldridge. So far they have both been outboard jets. The sportjet has me intrigued though. I am looking for a little more zip than the ob jet offers. Plus, the larger swimstep would be great. I am a chesapeake lover and could use the swimstep to get them back in the boat when we hunt deeper water.

I am also fond of the layout that Big Pilgrim had done. That is about what I have in mind right now. If you would like to chime in I am all ears.

Basically, I am trying to figure out if I go to a bigger outboard or sportjet. Right now I have a 200 Merc with standard pump on an 20' AK II. My thought is a 225 or 250 e-tec or optimax with the bigger pump. And no, I do not want a V-8 inboard in this boat. Wrong purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Olson View Post
    Now that you have run your Alaskan XL sportjet for awhile, what would you change?
    I'm not sure how much help I'm going to be, but I'll try...I really can't think of anything I'd change...perhaps someone with more knowledge can chime in, but the folks at Wooldridge really did hit one out of the park with the AK XL sport jet...

hull configuration
    I can't think of anything to change there, the boat handles very well and can certainly pack a load...

http://www.youtube.com/toshiroak#p/u/1/nAeMKFeiRp4

tunnel or no tunnel
    I've never ran with the Wooldridge tunnel so I can't speak from experience, but I went with 'no tunnel' and I'm pleased with the results....I believe that the boat stays hooked up better without the tunnel but, again, I'm only speculating since I haven't tried an XL with a tunnel....

UHMW on bottom or not.
    UHMW is for ladies

just kidding, I've never ran a boat with UHMW before so I'm far from an expert here either...I have helped boats that had UHMW get unstuck before and it is a lot easier, the same boat didn't handle as well, but that was just a couple boats so I'm not convinced that you couldn't build a boat with UHMW that can handle well, I'm sure there's UHMW boats that handle just dandy...

so in short, I'd have to say 'I don't know'....one thing is true though, I run around in some shallow areas sometimes and I've never felt the 'need' for UHMW, but I have wished I had it on occasion when I was stuck...

High skew impeller vs. standard impeller
    my vote is that it isn't worth the money at all....most folks will disagree with me here...I've owned one and ran it about 60 hours, and I've tested another one with heavy loads on the same day as testing the stock impeller and the difference was not noticeable, and the measurable traits such as RPM's at certain speeds and top speeds confirmed what my arse-o-meter was telling me....

now if the HS impeller was near the same price as the stock I'd absolutely buy one...I noticed far less floatsum getting stuck in my impeller when using the HS...that is a substantial benefit but not substantial enough to justify the cost of admission to step up to buy the HS

I'd take the money and buy 2 standard impellers...once the first one started to lose performance you can put the 2nd one in and get the 1st one re-built...that way you'll always have a fresh impeller ready....

How well does the stompgrate work (does it sacrifice performance).
    the stomp grate works as it should...it clears debris well, but I think any grate on any boat works equally as well....I don't know if there is a loss of performance with the grate on, but I'd never run without one....the ability to kick out the performance robbing pebbles out of the grate is certainly worth any tiny loss the grate itself may cause....my guess is that if there is a loss from the grate that you'd never be able to tell, .....but when you get a few rocks in your grate you'll notice for sure...

I am looking for a little more zip than the ob jet offers.
    If you've driven the XL with the 200 Opti outboard then you'll certainly notice that the SJ does have more 'zip'...faster out of the hole and peppier once your up...

I am a chesapeake lover
    me too...here's mine...

if you have more questions or want to see pics of certain things, fire away...

so, I'm not sure if I helped at all, the best way to find out if you like the boat and its characteristics is to drive one...if you're local I'd be happy to take you for a spin and let the boat do the talking, you won't be disappointed....I'll be out on the river tomorrow afternoon if you're antsy to check it out...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Where are you planning to run tomorrow TJM? I made it out on the Matanuska last Sunday, but wouldn't mind going out again.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    Where are you planning to run tomorrow TJM? I made it out on the Matanuska last Sunday, but wouldn't mind going out again.
    Knik..launching on the lower river at the bridge on the flats, late afternoon about 4pm...be neat to see you out there...
    pull my finger....

Sounds like a plan. Maybe I can learn a few things from the master.

Quote Originally Posted by MToutdoorsman View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Maybe I can learn a few things from the master.
    The master? Who's that? Is he coming too? I'd sure like to meet him too...
    pull my finger....

TJM, you got room for a rider? I'd love to hang with you for a bit and see how your boat does. Mine is in wasilla getting the top frame and heater core installed. let me know...my # is 244-0934. I can meet you there if you got room...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    TJM, you got room for a rider? I'd love to hang with you for a bit and see how your boat does. Mine is in wasilla getting the top frame and heater core installed. let me know...my # is 244-0934. I can meet you there if you got room...
    plenty of room...looks like 4:30pm now...see you guys there...
    pull my finger....

sweet...cya there man...

I have been away from the computer for a day because we were up on Mt. Baker snowmobiling. That will give you a hint to my location. I am about 50 miles North of Wooldridge. I have seen your videos and wish I was closer to get a ride. It looks like you have a lot of fun. I am close enough to stop in and chat with Glen and Grant whenever I please so that helps a little. Plus, the mountain was AWESOME yesterday. Lots of high traction snow, sun, clear skies and very few people up there. You could climb anywhere you wanted. Like my brother in law kept saying "Just point it and pin it".

You pretty much answered all my questions about the hull. I think I will have Glen build it just like yours or Big Pilgrims.

I haven't sat down and figured out how to post pictures yet. But if you go to -nordomchessybayret.com- you can see where my dogs have come from. I have known these people for about 30 years and they know their stuff. I am on my fourth chesapeake and my current one is a product of Money and Rebel. My female is a mirror image of her daddy Rebel. LOVE THESE DOGS! But I have to confess that we now have a GSP who impresses the heck out of me too.

Thank you for your reply. I have a friend from Wasilla. If I make it up there any time soon I am going to track you down for a ride. Hope you guys are having a great time on the river.

Kirk

had a good afternoon out on knik today with BobTheFisher and MToutdoorsman....poked our noses up the Matanuska a tad and dinked around a bit on the knik...busy day out there, I don't think I've ever seen the lot that full of trucks/trailers outside of duck season....Fan boys were out in force having a good time as well...nice catching up with you MT and good meeting you Bob, you're going to have a fun summer with that new boat of yours..

Kirk, if you make it to AK definitely track me down...
    pull my finger....

TJM, I had a blast as well man, look forward to doing it again...you too MToutdoorsman, we have to jet up the river again soon..."fishon"...

Sounds like you guys had a good time. Any pics of the day?

It was a great time on the river for me too. It was nice to meet Bob the Fisher and good catching up with TJM. I'm definitely looking forward to more river time with the boat any time either of you fellers wanna burn up some gas again. Regretfully, I didn't take a single picture the whole trip. Someday I hope to be half as good running a jet as what TJM is. For what it's worth, from a relatively inexperience jet boater, if I was looking for a new boat, I'd definitely give the XL with the SportJet more than a little consideration. I was very impressed with the handling of it.