Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey everyone

Default Hey everyone

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I live in Anchorage, and I'm 21 years old. The reason why I signed up is because I am a big gun enthusiast, and I really enjoy shooting. Anyway, I have a question. Yesterday I had signed up to take the CCW class at Alaska Tactical, and I was curious as to what to expect during the class, and what I all need to bring besides 100 rounds of ammo, carry gun, and my good attitude, according to the flyer I read at their site. I'll be taking it on March 24-25. I am a bit nervous, because I haven't really had the chance to practice with my carry gun which is an XD45. I've heard good things about Steve McDaniel I believe his name is, and that he's a very good instructor. Anyway, I just wanna know what I can expect during the 12 hour course. Thanks In Advance

Default Welcome!

Scattergun,

Welcome to the forum.

What to expect from the class is mostly laws regarding carry and use of a deadly force.

In regard to the shooting part, it is somewhat up to the instructor. If you were told to bring 100 rounds of ammo, maybe you will get to shoot that. Usually there is a practice "course" of about 10-20 rounds then a proficiency course of fire of two magazines or two cylinders for record. There is some allowance for freelancing this portion of the class so it's up to the instructor.

If you haven't fired a handgun before or are not familiar with your gun, you should at least become familiar with your gun and the loading and loading safely. Also I would reccommend you get in a quiet corner and double check to be sure it is not loaded and dry fire to develop some trigger and sight alignment skills. Usually the CCW class doesn't teach shooting or gun handling skills.

It would be best, if you're new at this, to try to link up with a skillful instructor and get a good lesson or two, if time permits, before the class.
    Generally a good CCW instructor is a well experienced firearms instructor. I'm not acquainted with the name you mentioned. Perhaps someone here on the forum can tell us about him. Good luck with the class and welcome again.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have fired my handgun before, and know how to operate it safely, and field strip it. I just haven't gone to the range often enough to really practice, because I'm usually working or in school. I've definitely had experience with guns, thanks to my Father who taught me the basics of firearm safety, and proper sight alignment.

Thumbs up

Then you will do well. These courses are not very demanding and basic rudimentary skills will suffice. I personally think they should be more stringent, but usually are quite basic.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Steve is an excellant instructor. I took my ccw class through him. the first day is classwork but he makes it interesting. the 2nd is rangework. he takes time with people that need extra time for qualifying. very patient guy that knows his stuff. hes a 1911 and an AR kinda guy but dont hold that against him...<grins>. I recommend him to everybody looking to get there CCW.

I also got my CCW cert thru Steve. Money well spent. First day of class long but good same with second day at the range. No regrets - enjoy.

Default Hey Everyone

I recently completed a CCW class.

My instructor was a certified NRA instructor, was female, and was also a licensed defense attourney from the state of Michigan. she knew how to handle a handgun too.

There was 8 hours of lecture and a written exam at the end of the 1st day. We were aloud to use the provided book for the test.

The second day, the NRA instructor reviewed actual cases where individuals were tried in a court of law for excercising their right to protect themselves with a gun.

We then had a proficiency test, where we had to place 15 out of 20 rounds in the chest cavity of a human siloette, approx 8 1/2 X 11, kneeling and standing, with a revolver and a semi auto at 21 feet. If I remeber right we had 60 seconds to fire the 20 rounds on each sequence.

The caliber of choice was yours to make, but I recommend the smallest caliber possible, even if you have to borrow the guns. Recommend 22 LR.
    If you don't have one, others in class were willing to share in my class.

It was kinda intimidating, as everyone in the class watched as each individual proved their proficiency during the live firing exam.

21 feet isn't far, just take your time, you probably won't miss a shot. Everyone, young and old in my class passed with flying colors. But I do recommend some practice before you go to build your confidence. I didn't and my hands were sweaty.

One important thing about the class. When the attourney showed cases she defended for protecting oneself with a hand gun. If you truly feared for your safety and there was definite reason, with strong evidence and you had no means of escape, she "usually" won the criminal case if you shot someone in self defense.

But, the individual and the individual's family has the right to bring civil suite against anyone who shoots another for any reason after a criminal case is tried. All the civil cases were lost whether you were defending yourself or not,. You still shot someone and had to pay the damages in a civil suite.

I didn't get my concealed carry after the class for this reason. The criminals have too many rights in our existing judicial system in my state.

You are better off swallowing your pride and running away from an attacker. Flight 1st, fight second. The liberals have given the crimanls too many rights.

Ask your instructor to read the "actual" concealed carry law for your state. They are all different. Ask for a copy of the law(s) and read it thouroughly.

Be Safe,

KatzMO

Default KatzMO..

KatzMO,

Sounds like an interesting class. You're right about the criminals rights,

May I ask where this class was and the name of your instructors. Sounds familiar.

Thanks.

I just completed Steve's class last month so hopefully I can let you in on how the class will go.

Day One:
    The first few hours was dedicated to an guest speaker, an APD/SWAT officer. Great guy, he was real entertaining and funny but a few aspects of his speech left me some what concerned. He presented some great information though.

After the guest speaker was done Ryan at AK Tac made a quick presentation. Mainly about safety, the four rules, showed some products and then drilled safety into our heads some more. It's all about safety and he did a good job getting that point across.

Now it was Steve's turn. Great guy that knows his stuff. He went over more off the "how to handle, shoot, and present your" with a handgun. He also taught the class with more of a self defense aspect, which I really liked. That's what carrying concealed is all about right? Using a tool in a last resort situation.

All three speakers let you ask as many questions as quick as you can think of them, and answer respectfully. They don't talk down to you and they answer to the best of their ability. They like to give people sh*t but they can take it too, which is really cool.

One word of advice, don't take your gun to the first day of class. One guy in my class pulled out his handgun and started racking the slide. Yah, that didn't go over so well. You get a one hour lunch break and plenty of quick breaks during the first full day. Plenty of water helped me make it through the day. The seats are kind of hard, so keep that in mind. The final test, no problem at all.

Day Two:
    DRESS WARM, you will be on the range most of the day. It was -15* below zeor and we were still expected to stand out there most of the day. Good boots, good light gloves, heavy coat, etc etc.... Steve said, "Everytime someone shows up in jeans, T shirt, and tennis shoes." And sure as sure can be someone showed up just like that but with a light coat.

The first few hours is dedicated with handling, aiming, holstering, all without one in the pipe. Then you go hot. One shot at a time, then too, then three. Then at different ranges. Out of my 100 rounds I used 75. Make sure you have ATLEAST two clips. I couldnt get more clips for my XD 45 compact but I wish I did have extra. Four would have been ideal, imo.

Steve and his assistant were great at the range. Some people had accuracy problems and they worked with them until they were shooting decent groups. Keep safety in mind, follow their instructions, and take your time, and you will do fine. The final test consisted of 22 shots, 2 shots at 11 different distances. If you can hit a 12" circle at 3,5, and 7 yards you will pass the qualification test.

So don't stress about it. have fun, relax, and soak up as much good info aspossible, since they are full of it.

Bah I caught myself again. Clips are those lil pink things my daugther puts in her hair. mags mags mags mags. Old habit.....

Wink What HARDWARE do you Carry?

SO....

What kind of hardware do all you CCW city slickers pack around?

No doubt one of those plastic super-compact Navy SEAL elite Special Forces Tactical Combat rail for a flashlight got to have because it's on TV auto loaders, by chance?

Me?

Depends where I go and the potential threat will dictate my need for firepower , but mostly I tote a Smith & Wesson 629 Trail Boss Stainless Steel 3"bbl .44 mag just for GP

I qualified my CCW with a
    Smith & Wesson 686 7 shot Stainless Steel 4"bbl .357Mag - Just because that piece is so accurate and easy to put a bullet where you want it. I've used it on bowling pin shoots for years and years. I't one of my favorites. Wish I could competition cowboy shoot with it

EVERYONE should have a CCW it would make crime lower and gun handling SAFER for ALL!!! Hats off to all CCW trainers all over the STATE!!

God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Thank you very much for the information.

I had to switch to the April class due to a minor transportation problem, but it should be a bit warmer by that time.

EVERYONE should have a CCW it would make crime lower and gun handling SAFER for ALL!!! Hats off to all CCW trainers all over the STATE!!
    Without suger coating a thing some of the people in my class scared me to death. I also planned to line up on the range and strategically pick a target that was on the opposite side of the range from those with the out of this world stories. Their scenarios, "why I need to pack" rants, and so on, left my jaw litterally hanging wide open with absolute shock. The sheer fact some of these stories consisted of unresponsible, unsafe, and unaware gun handling practices really opened my eyes to who might be packing around town. More gun laws is not the answer in most cases but after this class I firmly believe if anyone is going to carry concealed they NEED this training, and it should be mandated by law mainly for the reason in bold print above. I am in no way labeling myself a weapons expert,

With that off my chest I carry either an XD 45 compact or S&W 329, depends where I will be going. So I suppose you can say I carry one of those fancy tactical super elite light railed night sighted mall ninja pistols. Speaking of mall ninja's.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

What kind of hardware do all you CCW?

My CCW is a custom Ported Colt Defender 1911 with Alum alloy Frame and trigger, Trigger job to remove any creep, 3" Match Barrel and polished shaped feed ramp. I use a 7 round magazine +1 in the tube. Hogue Grips and a Galco SOB Holster.

I load Barnes 185gn XPB's with 1116 fps velocity. I have yet to find another HP that will feed anywhere near as nice.

Default Hey Everyone

Murphy,

My instructors name was Victoria Easterday. She is a NRA certified instructor and practicing defense attourney in the state of Michigan.

A hunting club in Missouri, "Big River Hunting club" Just south of St.louis, hired her to give us the class/training.

She drove down from Michigan to give about 30 of us training and certification.
    Missouri's CC law is modeled after Michigan's CC law.

Since Missouri and my LIBERAL county of Jefferson (The most liberal county in the country) was the last to hold out to allow concelaed carry, I felt it was my obligation as a hunter, a patriot and a conservative to honor those who fought so hard for this right.

I also work with the individual who actually wrote the Missouri Concealed Carry law. He fought for 15 years to get this freedom passed. I owed it to him and Jim Talent who fought so hard for years to make it happen in Missouri.

Even after the law was voted on and passed in Missouri, our county refused to issue CC permits for 2 years. It went all the way to the supreme court and they FORCED local law enforcement to enforce the law.

They do it now, but they take their time and aren't very friendly about it to this day.

Good exchange Murphy. I think I heard or read you are from Missouri too.

KatzMO

Default Hey Everyone

I carry a Ruger GP100, 357 mag when I am in a good mood,
    when I am in a bad mood, I carry a 454 Ruger Alaskan.

To be honest, its hard to hit anything with the 454, but I can handle the 357 pretty good.

KatzMO

TYBSP, are you using RELOADS for your CCW weapon? One should never use their own reloads, always use Factory ammunition for self defence. Or you will be bringing a heavy law-suit on yourself.

I would drather use my own reloads than say winchester or federal, etc, but in a civil lawsuit, they will lable you as one wanting to "test" your own rounds on said victim, and hence was "looking" forward to shooting somebody. and then everything you own will become said victims family property.

I myself use a 686 Smith and wesson 2.5 inch barrel for prefered carry.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Ouch, never thought of that one. I was just using the bullets that feed best. I better rethink that one. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoldotnaDave View Post
    TYBSP, are you using RELOADS for your CCW weapon? One should never use their own reloads, always use Factory ammunition for self defence. Or you will be bringing a heavy law-suit on yourself.

I would drather use my own reloads than say winchester or federal, etc, but in a civil lawsuit, they will lable you as one wanting to "test" your own rounds on said victim, and hence was "looking" forward to shooting somebody. and then everything you own will become said victims family property.
    Has there ever been a documented case of this? The reason I ask, I've heard this over and over, but for the life of me, I just cannot see the reasoning behind it. Self defense is self defense. It would be easier for me to believe that because someone was carrying a "customized" or "military-type" firearm that they were out to kill someone, that using handloads. Or if someone was shooting hollowpoints or ammo advertised as a "manstopper" than someone handloading because it is cheaper than buying factory rounds or because they are more reliable or more accurate.

Let's face it, I handload my hunting ammunition because of all the advantages it gives me, I handload my self defense rounds for the same purpose. Unless I can find a documented case of someone getting taken to the cleaners for the SOLE reason of using handloads, I'll continue to use those.

No offense intended, it is an honest question. I've always heard the argument, but never a case to back that up.

Default Don't know about civil

cases but have not seen or heard of a report of using handloads actually making a difference in a criminal case. Civil cases may well be a different story, I have the feeling that being a justified shoot doesn't mean all that it should in these.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast