Thread: Wind Gauging, Flags, or better methods ?

Default Wind Gauging, Flags, or better methods ?

Out at our range on Kodiak,
    I am often trying to get some shooting/load testing done well, in minor gusting winds conditions,

Finding it hard to see what is happening down at the target

Have been thinking of just hanging survey tape strands on the edges of my plywood target backing, any other ideas?

All I'm hoping to do is be able to tell when the gusting dies off for a moment to cut loose some powder,
    I'm not trying to gauge for 1000 yard shooting or anything, just 100 yds,

I've been watching the grass,........... wondering if there is a smarter way?

(maybe move to Arizona, or Fairbanks, where the wind never blows....??.... nah)
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Out at our range on Kodiak,
    I am often trying to get some shooting/load testing done well, in minor gusting winds conditions,

Finding it hard to see what is happening down at the target

Have been thinking of just hanging survey tape strands on the edges of my plywood target backing, any other ideas?

All I'm hoping to do is be able to tell when the gusting dies off for a moment to cut loose some powder,
    I'm not trying to gauge for 1000 yard shooting or anything, just 100 yds,

I've been watching the grass,........... wondering if there is a smarter way?

(maybe move to Arizona, or Fairbanks, where the wind never blows....??.... nah)
    Flags are helpful, but the mirage never lies. Most of shooting is science (meaurements, tolerances, equipment consistency, etc.) but reading the wind is definitely an art. I use a number of tools, but I think that mirage is the best tool in my bag. Oh, I am much better "artist" on some days than others.........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

watch the mirage in your spotting scope. Look midway. Put some yarn midway and on your firing line as well

you can get those little wind flags, indicators from
    Champions Shootes supply , sinclair etc

22 rifle shooters use them at lot. they seems to use a lot of them.

I have shot Kodiak range a few times across the course. Having a snorkle helps too.