Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salmon Bowhunting

Default Salmon Bowhunting

JW: Is it legal to bowhunt salmon in AK?

I can't speak to salmon specifically, but bow "fishing" is legal in some locations for some species of fish. An example of a legal option would be for pike in western cook inlet waters. One way to check would be to look at the online regulations and do a word search for "arrow". According to the statewide regs, it is illegal unless specifically allowed in the area specific regulations.

I don't think that it is legal to bow fish salmon anywhere in the state.

No, not legal. Not for a sport hunting / sport fishing standpoint. Not sure about subsistence.

Would be a great idea to propose in the next round of reg changes. I am sure there are a couple streams they could open up to bow fishing.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Call FISH and Game. If you can snag in salt water, you could shoot them with a bow and arrow (Bowfishing). I cannot see a reason why not. Try it in fresh water and you will be in the hotel gray bar.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Call FISH and Game. If you can snag in salt water, you could shoot them with a bow and arrow (Bowfishing). I cannot see a reason why not. Try it in fresh water and you will be in the hotel gray bar.

Matt
    The only reason you couldn't would be because the regs say you can't. The statewide regs say it is illegal unless specifically allowed for a certain location.

Be great if we could in some areas. I myself don't care for fishing with a rod, boring....now with a bow that is MORE like it!

i submitted a proposal to allow archery salmon in any area open to by regulation to snagging. very nearly got it passed (according to bio friends that were at the deliberation) but the BOF had no idea what archery fishing tackle was, and despite the fact that archery is legal for pike, they balked because there was no definition of "bowfishg tackle".
    i think this could pass, and i very much want to put it in again. Of course, nobody but me showed up to testify for the proposal, i am sure a show of support would have gotten it passed.
    next time, i guess.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

you can use a spear-gun as long as you are fully submerged....that may only be in salt water though
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    i submitted a proposal to allow archery salmon in any area open to by regulation to snagging. very nearly got it passed (according to bio friends that were at the deliberation) but the BOF had no idea what archery fishing tackle was, and despite the fact that archery is legal for pike, they balked because there was no definition of "bowfishg tackle".
    i think this could pass, and i very much want to put it in again. Of course, nobody but me showed up to testify for the proposal, i am sure a show of support would have gotten it passed.
    next time, i guess.

If you're serious, I will support it too. We could start a forum post here and really sell it. I will start fliers and post them at Kincaid, Full Curl and Back country. How did you go about submittin a proposal to F&G?

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Be great if we could in some areas. I myself don't care for fishing with a rod, boring....now with a bow that is MORE like it!
    haha either beer and fishing or just straight bow fishing. both are a great plan!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    If you're serious, I will support it too. We could start a forum post here and really sell it. I will start fliers and post them at Kincaid, Full Curl and Back country. How did you go about submittin a proposal to F&G?
    the deadline for statewide proposals for the 2011-2012 board cycle has passed.

I would be on board for this next year. I loved bowfishing for carp/gar when I was a kid, tons of fun to be had!

the deadline for statewide proposals for the 2011-2012 board cycle has passed.
    Got ya. I would be excited to start working on it for next year. I can try to solicite it to the Ancoragites.

I've got a guy in Fairbanks that has a good idea. If we submit the same proposal all over the state game offices, it can work out. I can cover Anchorage, he can cover Fairbanks. Anyone out there for Cordova, Sitka, Ketchican, Juneau, etc???

that's not how it works.
    BOF meetings cover particular areas in different years. there is also input taken for statewide regs, but those only need to be put in once, not in different areas.
    it is also important NOT to bother with proposals that have no chance of passing... for instance any proposal to shoot salmon in freshwater.
    the proposal i submitted i prepared very carefully, it addressed only lower cook inlet, and would only have allowed for archery tackle to be used in saltwater where snagging was open by regulation. this wording was specifically chosen to exclude the homer lagoon, which opens by emergency order.
    for more info on how to submit proposals, and the regional board cycle go to:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...riesboard.main

I looked up the proposal info and it says " public comment received from people inside and outside of the state". If they take public comments inside and outside the state, phone calling and letter campaigns are often effective after you have gone to the meetings. I am the vp of the union for the prison I work at, and have had to do a lot of lobbying to keep us from getting shut down and privatized. I found out that constistent staggered phone calls, emails or letters, work better than an all out one time barrage. If they get one or two a day, the person taking the info gets to the point of saying, "we got more on the bowfishing thing again", which demonstrates consistent interest from the public. They also often keep track of how many comments of which particular issue come in per day. That ends up in a grand total at some point.
    You would also have to figure out how to get others involved. If I was trying to do it, I would get a couple bucks together and do some pre paid post cards with the message you want to get across, find any bow shops, and leave some stacks there. Also leave a flyer at the shops enlisting help from some people that want to get more involved than just signing and returning a post card. A handfull of motivated individuals can make a big change. If you guys decide to do this, let me know and I can help by getting some input from bowhunters down here since input is taken from outside the state also. Get a small group of people willing to work at this together now and get prepared and make plans so you are ready for next year. I would be glad to help strategy wise.

In my youth, I recall friends bowfishing for carp and suckers for their maggot farms.

I am a bowhunter, but have serious reservations about the image that bowfishing for salmon would leave with the community.

For what it's worth -Back in the 80ís, I recall walking up the lower part of the Campbell Creek and seeing evidence of illegal bowfishing/spearing salmon. Wanton waste only begins to describe the destruction as king salmon with spear and arrow marks were left to waste or die. I seriously doubt that legalizing bowfishing in a few streams would result in a cleaner stream or be more appealing, or really worth it to justify an archers fun. When considering lost fish (say an incidental king salmon) from improper shot placement, bowfishing for salmon is not a good idea. Put several bowfishers along a few designated streams ... could be very interesting as someone prereleases an arrow into another persons zone of comfort. When this activity is coupled with likely bear activity, again, does not seem like a good idea.

I'm sure others will argue against my points, however, IMO, bowfishing for salmon would result in a larger publicity negative to archers than the Hillside archery moose hunts of the 80's.

the proposal i submitted i prepared very carefully, it addressed only lower cook inlet, and would only have allowed for archery tackle to be used in saltwater where snagging was open by regulation.
    wetenuf...
    as an aside, i did as much research on bowforums and the web as i could, and i never was able to find any documented or even anecdotal evidence of an injury related to bowfishing. snagging injuries are incredibly common, as is a public distaste for snagging in general.
    there were places where snagging had been made illegal due to safety concerns, yet bowfishing was continued to be allowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast