Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another bear gun question

Default Another bear gun question

I am considering purchasing either a D.W. 445 super mag or a 454 casull. the main reason is I can shoot the 45 colt or the 44 cal for practice. Which would be a better Grizzly or Brownie stopper?

which ever one you can aim better while wetting yourself
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default opinion

The 445 supermag shoots a 300 grain bullet at 1615 and the 454 shoots a 300 grain at 1780. These are reloads and don't know if you have the ability to reload. 454 also has more bullet options than the 445. If it were me and I had a choice I would take the 454. This is my opinion only. Put both revolvers in your hand and see which one you like best. Is this for protection, or are you hunting with the pistol?

Default Gun Question

Both,and I can reload.

Question

i think go with the .454, provided you can handle the recoil.

Default Bear gun

AkPM, that pretty funny....... . Has a ring of truth to it, too.

I also recommend the .454. The recoil is pretty fierce, but so is the .445. I replaced the factory grips on my Ruger Super Redhawk and replaced them with Hogue finger grips. Made a great difference in the control and felt recoil. I had Pachmyers on my .44 Redhawk, and switched them, too. I couldn't believe the difference it made. Thats just my opinion, tho. A friend of mine still swears by his Pachmyers on his .454.

If you remember that no handgun is a prime bear stopper and is relatively weak for big bears, you should do fine with either of these for self-protection.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Question no pistole!

I had read once, somewhere, that in the history of Alaska, no person has ever successfully defended himself with a pistol against a brownie attack. Not saying that the bear wasn't killed, but died only after mauling hunter. Is this still true or was it ever?

Don't believe that one. There was a story a couple of weeks ago in the Anchorage paper about 2 hunters that were saved by a .44 Magnum handgun. A number of folks up here have deterred attacks by bears by firing their handguns at the bear, which made the bear break off the attack.

Default False

False! Just do a search.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Go with the 454 Casull, great side arm! you might want to mount a scope on it later to hunt with, 7.5 inch barrel is ideal...K

Default grips

Hey Hawken54, I'd like to try out those grips of yours for my Super Redhawk. I like the factory grips okay but anything I can do ya know!
    As for the .454? Well the Super Redhawk is a really great gun. Very accurate and not all that hard to shoot....

reuben....

What about the .50AE in the Desert Eagle?

Default What?

Look at the Judge that also gives you options for small game by using the 45 LC/ 410. Personally I use a 500 S&W 4" but if your stuck on cheaper ammo the Judge is a great option.
    http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Judge.htm
    Last edited by Bear Buster; 03-05-2007 at 09:10. Reason: add link

It depends on what you can handle! I have seen to many people
    get the biggest beast they can get, shoot it once and sell it. I have acquired several guns that way. .44 with hardcast Keith style bullets
    in my bobbed barrel Redhawk is what I use. I do not plan for a second shot. I also use this setup for rabbits(practice).

Hope this helps.

Neal

Aw, c'mon! No one is going to suggest the one without a front sight?

If you are thinking of buying the Freedom Arms .454 Casull, one thing I can tell you about it. They are well made to the extreme. There is absolutely no play to the cylinder, the frame is super strong, the gun in your hand feels like a Ruger Blackhawk but a little heavier. Recoil-wise, its like shooting a really hot .44 Mag, a good deal louder than a regular .44 Mag too. I also would like to hear something about the .50AE Desert Eagle.

Default .50 Ae

Don't have one, but in these situations, I would much prefer a revolver over a semiauto.

Rooster, these grips are great. I paid less than $25.00 for them, too.

Yes, the Freedom Arms is one of the best made firearms available. I have large hands and it rolls in my hand and smacks the web of my hand harder than any gun I have ever fired. I had 2 Super Blackhawks and shot stiff loads in both of them. I replaced the factory grips with Pachmyers and it was very controllable. The Freedom Arms revolver is a beautiful weapon, tho. My brother-in-law just bought one in .454, and has the same issue. A friend has one in .357 and it is one of the sweetest shooting revolvers I have ever fired, too. Just my hands are too big to allow it to "roll" properly as it is designed.

If you are thinking of the Freedom Arms line of revolvers, look into a 475 Linebaugh caliber. Shoots heavier bullets and not as sharp of a kick as the 454. I love mine, just wish they made the 475 in a Double action. Less things to manipulate while under duress. Just point and squeeze, and not have to worry about cocking it first! Hard to do while being chewed upon.

Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

I personally would rather have a high capacity auto in a large caliber if a grizzly was charging me, although I only own a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag. With a single action, you can only get off a couple shots if you encounter a charging bear at close range. With an auto, you could at least get a lot of panic shots off. I know for a fact that my .44 isn't a bear stopper even at close range, I shot a charging blackie at ten feet standing in my doorway. It made him turn and run and I never saw him again, and I emptied that same gun on a grizzly a few days later and would have been killed if it weren't for my dog team giving the bear fits. (Both of these incidents were because of a moose I shot and had hanging at my cabin attracting them). I don't know about the .454 even being able to stop a griz either, which is why I am looking into a Desert Eagle. I have small hands though, and the one time I remember picking one up when they first came out in .44 mag it sure seemed big.

Wink Hard cast or jacketed?

Reuben , do you like hard cast or jacketed bullets in your 454?Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast