Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring overnight

Default Anchoring overnight

I mostly fish out of Seward and have never spent the night on the water.

What advice would you give me about anchoring, what type of location to look for, what weather conditions to avoid?

Your anchor will hold best on a soft or muddy bottom. If you can find a bay or cove that is protected on all sides that is obviously the best, but if you can't then you want to pay close attention to the weather forecast and make sure you aren't anchoring up in a bay that is open to the wind. Also give yourself enough room for swinging on anchor, I anchored up in real tight quarters once, and the wind was howling and I swung around pretty good and was getting closer to hitting shore than I was comfortable with. And I might be a little over cautious, but I almost always drop a second anchor, it helps me sleep better
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

In Resurection Bay, I would not overnight. There's just not a place that is well protected. Even in Thumb Cove, there is exposure a SW wind. Out of Whitter, no problem. Lots of protected achorages. Just MHO. I'm sure there are others.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    And I might be a little over cautious, but I almost always drop a second anchor, it helps me sleep better

i have never anchored over night either,,but i am pretty sure the 2nd anchor is a given for me, too!!....heck, i might even throw out my third one for good measure---until i "grow a pair!!"
    ..... larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Couple of things. Scan the area with your depth finder first to check for rocks, and the depth. Remember to "set" the anchor and allow for tide fluctuations. Remember that when the tide goes out, your rode will be longer. Purpose of scouting the depth is you might be floating high and high tide but swing into shallower water once the tide goes out.

Also set the alarm on your depth finder for a max. and a min. alarm to go off. That way if you do loose the bottom and or drift to close to shore or far from your anchor spot it goes off to awaken you. Your chart plotter may have a similar feature on you location or anchor setting.

If I am not sure, I have an extra anchor and 300 feet of rode in the bow. Camping on shore, I set the one anchor over a log on shore or a rock, and the other from the bow. Gives you some peace of mind that the boat is going to be there in the morning.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

"Exploring Alaska's Kenai Fjords" (Davis Miller) is a great resource with anchorage locations and advice.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    In Resurection Bay, I would not overnight. There's just not a place that is well protected. Even in Thumb Cove, there is exposure a SW wind. Out of Whitter, no problem. Lots of protected achorages. Just MHO. I'm sure there are others.
    There are plenty of places in Res Bay to overnight, I do it all the time. Agnes Cove is quite popular, Thumb Cove is too. As is the case anywhere, the weather plays a part in your plan. That being said, there's no way in hell I would be out there this coming wekend!!!!!!!

Default Camping on water...

It's great to sleep on a boat in the ocean, the key to a peaceful sleep is the size of your anchor. "Lunch" anchors or "lunch" anchor spots refer to a place that is great to anchor up for a nice lunch break, but not to overnight in the dark while you are asleep. Seward has lunch anchor spots, but none you would want to be caught in overnight.

Your anchor should be big and your chain long, should be more than you really need for the size of your boat. Seems every new boat coming out of the stores have the minimum puny little anchors that would drag in a heavy wind.

Set your depth sounder alarm; they have a shallow and deep setting, it goes off if you drift into the deep or drift into the shallows. Plus, the tide might get so high as to float you free if you don't let out enough scope. This alarm setting is easy, most sounders have it, and totally allows you to relax.

Radar alarm; Same idea, except it's used if you are in an area that an iceberg might drift into you (see story of boat sinking as berg drifted over anchorline and boat) or a log, or other vessels. Open waters, unprotected coves would be the place for the radar alarm. It would go off if something came in range of what you set the alarm at.

I think the Key to sound anchoring, is keeping the shank of the anchor down, so it is digging in rather than being pulled up by any surge that occurs,

either use plenty of chain as the first gear coming up off the anchor, or attach a weight,(trolling cannonballs work well for this) some where down the anchor line, like 20-30ft up towards your bow from the anchor,

this weight, will act as a surge dampener, always keeping the flukes of the anchor laying down on the bottom, digging in.

Another tip is to back down a bit after dropping the anchor, watching for it to come tight, "Proving to your eyes" that it has indeed "Set" into the bottom and is not just skidding along. Hold it in reverse, or just take it in and out of gear in reverse until you can actually feel it come tight or can clearly feel the boat stop going back and pull around some to the side, the bow should pull down a bit, you'll know, when it's set good.

That's how you can really go lay down in peace,

Also, what the others said, Mud is best, sand also, but you can do it on rocky ground, if in a bind, just make sure there's weight keeping the shank down, and set it good.

Oh yeah, get plenty of scope out there also, stick to five to one, at least, more is always better.

In my opinion, Anchoring is the most peaceful part of the whole boating deal, shut down the engines, listen to the birds, the water lapping against the hull,
    Think it all through, and you should be able to Relax on the Hook
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Agnes Cove and Thumb cove are what I would call, "unsecured anchorages" the weather changes for the worst and your screwed! Compared to a cove like the popular Surprise cove out of Whittier, you could watch ten-footers outside the cove rollin' past and be safe inside it. Agnes and Thumb are not safe escapes during a gale.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Agnes Cove and Thumb cove are what I would call, "unsecured anchorages" the weather changes for the worst and your screwed! Compared to a cove like the popular Surprise cove out of Whittier, you could watch ten-footers outside the cove rollin' past and be safe inside it. Agnes and Thumb are not safe escapes during a gale.
    Hence, my comment that weather plays a factor in your plan! I have no business being on the water at all if there are 10 footers outside the cove. In those conditions, I choose to overnight at the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    Agnes cove is a great anchorage out of Seward. You can get tucked in the back there and be very well protected, if you time it right you can catch silvers all night long while sitting on the hook.
    Boatless

How about out toward Harris Bay and Grannet Island? I want to explore that direction and there looks like a lot of little islands to hide behind. Is the idea to find a lee side? And how deep of water do you want to look for?

Pick a spot and try it, you're not going to sleep much the first time anyway, I didn't. First it's too noisy, then it's too quite, every five minutes you'll be up checking to make sure you didn't drag anchor, or are swinging to close to your neighbor. In the evenings it's obvious the spots that are good to overnight in, they start filling up just like the campgrounds. The first time I might suggest you pick a weekend with the longest daylight. I did an overnight last year late in the season by myself and it gets SPOOKY dark.

Taz Basin on the west side of Granite Island is protected on 3 and 3/4 sides, be advised the weather can be much different around there.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

You need the right setup first. Your chain should be a little longer than your boat first off, and 600 feet of rode is not overdoing it. Have a spare anchor setup.

Pay close attention to the tides. If you drop the hook at high tide in 20 feet of water with a 12 foot tide differential that puts you in 8 feet of water at low. If you put out a 3 to 1 scope in 20 feet that becomes almost 7 to 1 in 8 feet so your swing increased; there are lots of variables to take into consideration.

The deeper you anchor the less effect the tide will have on your scope; I like to anchor in at least 35 to 45 feet. Iíll circle the area Iím anchoring in to make sure there are no hidden rocks or shallow spots than drop somewhere center of the area I just surveyed.

Have never set more than 1 anchor off the bow, but will occasional toss one off the stern in addition to the bow anchor. I use the stern anchor only to position the boat in a more desirable orientation like for privacy or keeping the bow into the swells.

We primarily overnight in PWS, usually 35 to 40 nights a season. If the weather is nice we like to anchor on the outside of bays, but only in favorable conditions.

Chapman's Piloting Seamanship and Boat Handling book is a good place to start.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Too many things to consider to put them in a concise post. First recomendation as others have stated is to go out of Whittier when anchoring over night, there are many, many excellent anchorages out in the sound. Secondly, get the Lethcoe's guide to the sound, as it has excellent information on anchoring, and details on just about every bay in the sound.

My key to a sound nite on the boat is to pick out very well protected anchorages with good holding bottoms. I've holed up in the Disk Island lagoon during a couple of couple of blows in the sound. While the VHF antenna on my boat sounded like a jet engine with the wind whipping around it, the boat was solidly on the hook and the lagoon is so small that no appreciable chop will build up.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I second Chapman's. Also, the guide for cruising PWS provides locations for many good anchorages. When I first started anchoring, I slept very little. After my first weekend of anchoring overnight, I came home and that night I guess I was sleepwalking or half awake or something in the middle of the night because I looked out the bedroom window at the trees and could have sworn that they were moving and I was dragging anchor. Man, a house is an awfully big anchor.

idak,

There is a lot of good advice to you on here. Get the Cruising Guide to PWS and start there (out of Whittier). You can go out of Resurrection, but it is much easier out of Whittier to start with. There are many bomb proof anchorages with mud bottoms.

I have never used two anchors. I have an oversized Bruce for my boat and it works fine. I set it well and use proper scope, and it is plenty safe. Often I am awoke in the night from the anchor alarm since I set it too tight and I have swung around, but that it OK. I agree with KodiakRain that sleeping on anchor is a great experience that I will not get to do enough in my life. It is a very peacful and enjoyable experience.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

You guys make it sound SO great. I've only been running the salt for two years and I will have to admit that there is a certain fear factor of the unknown. With the cost of fuel, getting two days of fishing out of the same number of gallons of fuel seems like a good bargain.

You get in 3 times as much fishing on an overnight trip. You aren't wasting the time returning at night and heading back out the next morning.

I've always slept fine on the boat, well except the one time the dog got sick in the middle of the night and puked in the cabin before I was sufficiently awake to get him on deck :O
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast