Thread: Small Coolers or Cold Storage Containers for Flyout Hunt?

Default Small Coolers or Cold Storage Containers for Flyout Hunt?

I like to bring a few items on my flyout hunts stored in a small cooler - a couple steaks, pork chops, eggs, bacon, etc. that require cold/cool storage. I've always just brought a small cooler, although the cooler was never full of cold items.

I'm wondering if I've had my head in the sand, and if there might be better/newer alternatives for transporting the cold/cool food items? What do all of you use to bring a limited supply of cold foods into camp for your hunts?

I've only been on one fly-in hunt but on my atv hunts I use a small soft sided "cooler" for less bulk.

Depending on the area, you might be able to dig a small hole down near permafrost to store your food. If you have a cold stream nearby, submersing your food will keep it refrigerated for a few days (although it leaves it fairly susceptible to critters). If you take a small cooler, try wrapping each frozen item in newspaper, that helps insulate it. For steaks and such that may be a little bloody when it thaws I suggest vacuum sealing them rather than leaving them in the grocery store wrapper. If you're able to purchase dry ice immediately before your fly-out date, that'll buy you several extra days of frozen food storage. Generally, if I'm taking perishables with me, I plan on eating those items first. Depending on time of year you might be able to take advantage of freezing temps at night to prolong food storage.

I've never tried it, but I believe Boar's Head makes a pre-cooked, nonrefrigerated bacon...? Powdered eggs would be a much easier option than fresh eggs, though I'm told they're good for baking but not eating scrambled or in omlettes. Same with powdered milk. As much as we rely on dehydrated food for convenience and weight saving, nothing beats a steak on the camp fire!

Eagle River Alaska, United States,

I'll agree with Snyd. Small soft sided coolers normally work best but of course it depends on the type of hunt, size of the plane, weight limit etc. On several fly out hunts we had room for a med regular cooler. We filled it full of precooked, frozen and vacumed packed meals. That way all you have to do is thaw it out and warm it up. No sense roughing it unless you have to.

Delta Jct, Alaska

I use em every year for fly out hunts filled with frozen precooked foods.....

I also take 2 or 3 to Baja to return with frozen fish.....I'll be leaving Baja in 10 degree weather and overnight in Anchorage before driving next day to Delta.....arriving home with frozen fish.....this in June......LAX baggage handlers have destroyed several hard coolers for us but never a Polar Bear Cooler. I can't count the number of trips with venison, fish and pheasants and they still look good.

Air dropped food to friends camp when winds wouldn't allow landing......the cooler survived and looks as new.

I have three size 48 and they hold 47 pounds of frozen fish and make the 50 pound limit.

Why someone in Alaska doesn't sell em is beyond me.

Buy direct and each fall they contact me with a 2 for 1 sale and then I load up for our entire gang.....

Thanks for the heads up, that looks like a product worth trying!

Delta Junction

What if "Big Bald Mike" is hiding behind the tree when the plane takes off? What's going to be left of your food and your soft coolers??

Check this out (it's kind of funny):