Thread: Overnight Whittier Trip

Default Overnight Whittier Trip

We started out on the 19th with the 0730 tunnel. Met Swissy Baroo at the launch. Saw Sue to get out annual launch pass and parking for a couple days. The big lot is still coveredd with snow, but they have about a 1/4 of it plowed.
    Once in the water the boat started and ran great. It's been a long winter. With everything situated, we left the harbor in glass flat seas and sunny skies as far as we could see.
    Half way thru Passage, we watched a pod of porpoise play around the boat. What a great way to start the summer. Then as we reached Point Pigot, low an behold, 2 blacktail deer standing on the beach. I've always heard of people seeing them that close, but never really believed it. Now I do....
    Headed north to Pakenham point to camp and shrimp overnight. Holy crap the commercial guys are there. So, we pulled up to one and asked about the opener. They said it closes at 8 PM, so we decided sice we were already there, we might as well stay. Dropped pots and set up camp. What a beautiful place to camp. It has a really nice beach and plenty to explore there. Lot's more deer tracks too. Pulled pots about every 4 to 5 hours all day and night. We picked up a decent amount of shrimp, but nothing like what we thought we would get. I guess that what we get for staying after seeing the commercial guys there. We fished all over the reefs there with no luck. Hit all along Ester Island and no luck either. Not even a bite.
    We woke up to cloudy skies and a drizzle of rain. Packed up camp, pulled a great set of pots and headed back to Whittier. Once back in Passage, we decided we had a little extra time and weren't ready to go home, so we dropped the pots ina spot I've always wanted to try. We gave them a 2 hour soak. Pulled up about 75 shrimp. Not too bad for 2 hours I guess. We ended up with about 8 gallons of shrimp total. Loaded up the boat and washed her down on the ramp and hit the 4 pm tunnel.
    Overall a great trip out. Beautiful way to start the summer. Nice meeting Swissy at the ramp. Hope to hear a report from him in a couple days when he gets back. The only thing missing was my AOD FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default A few more

Pakenham Point

Default Shrimp

Here's my buddy popping heads and Chasin Tail taking a break.

Those garden hose reels are a great way to stow shrimp line.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

No kidding. What a great idea. I need to get me one of those.

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Yep. I added the hose reel to the list last year when a bad toss of the line ended up bad and I spent an hour untangling 700 feet of line while 3 pots dangled in the water. I can spool up two 700 foot lines on that just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Yep. I added the hose reel to the list last year when a bad toss of the line ended up bad and I spent an hour untangling 700 feet of line while 3 pots dangled in the water. I can spool up two 700 foot lines on that just fine.
    What's that like LOL! I've had that happen twice. The second time I had such a spagetti mess that I just took a knife to it and spliced. Buddy turned me on to the hose reel several years ago.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I just stuff mine in a trash can and never have had a problem. The hose reel looks like it would work good but I think it is easier to just stuff it in a can then to have to crank it on and off a hose reel.

The hose reel is pretty easy to use. Crank up the slack as the puller brings it in then let her rip when you dump the pots. The only down side is the reel take up precious room on my little 20'er.