Thread: advice !

Default advice !

hi guys important question ! whats the appropiate rifle That would deal with large game i.e caribou/ dal sheep at 300 yrds as well as deal with bear for protection that doesnt kick the hell out you (less recoil) for a small framed guy ? answers appreciated thanks

A good old 30-06 will do the job for you with no problem. Just remember that you need to be a resident of a state for 90 days and have your green card to be able to purchase a firearm from a dealer. You will not be able to legally hunt any big game species until you are a legal immigrant either. Several species will require a guide until you have established Alaskan residency of one year.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Well.... this thread should be good for at least 100 posts

Recoil tolerance is an individual thing and varies depending on how you're shooting, i.e. bench vs offhand. I shoot a 300 Ultra on the bench with a slip-on recoil pad and could literally shoot it all day with little to no discomfort. On the other hand, shooting a 7mm RM on the bench wothout a recoil pad, I am done after 20 rounds. In the field, shooting at game, I won't feel either. Shooting technique is extremely important in this regard.

I think the best all around rifle (that has managable recoil) for AK or down here is the 300 WSM. Some will say the 7mm RM, some the 30.06, some the 300 WM, some the 338 WM (getting into more recoil) and of course others. They all kill purdy good.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Just remember that you need to be a resident of a state for 90 days and have your green card to be able to purchase a firearm from a dealer. You will not be able to legally hunt any big game species until you are a legal immigrant either. Several species will require a guide until you have established Alaskan residency of one year.
    That's not strictly correct, may be true for a handgun and a non US citizen. I know a US citizen can buy a handgun in Alaska the day you become an Alaska resident if you have the Alaska ID. You don't even need to be a resident or citizen at all for long guns though. A tourist from anyplace in the world legally here with an INS “alien number” and a “hunting license” can buy long guns the same day they get those two things.

In Alaska you will have to “have been” a legal resident for 12 months to hunt as a resident, till then you hunt under the non- resident rules and need a guide for some stuff.

Rifle caliber for the stuff you list?
    30-06 and 308 are great ole standbys. If you are a Brit the ole 303 will do you just fine if you want to honor your heritage. These days 7mm stuff is the rage, 7nn08 does a very fine job and is what I’d recommend for you as a low recoil get-r-done rifle. If going for brown bear at some point you’d be wise to step up to something more heavy hitter like 338 but all the above will work if you shoot well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

all the comments before me are guiding you well on the procurement of a firearm - A bit more information as to experience, actual frame size & weight, what you want to specifically target and where you want to do it would help alot in advice for your rifle - 30.06 / .308 / 300 WSM will all do the job IF you do yours

Lots of things to consider. I suspect from the post that you are not a handloader. If a person is not a handloader then it is tough to beat the variety and quality of factory ammo available in the .308 Winchester. Whether its purpose is for varmints or bear or formal target competition--there is a factory load in .308 Winchester to fit the bill. Another real blessing is that the .308 Winchester is available in nearly every manufacturer's lineup so pick out a rifle you like and buy one chambered in .308. Recoil is less than any of the magnum cartridges and performance in the field is difficult to distinguish inside 300 yards from its larger .30 caliber brethren.

Given your parameters, I'd pick a bolt action rifle in .308 Winchester with a dependable 3x9 scope. You'd be hard pressed to find a better rifle/cartridge combo for your purposes.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Darn good advice - I concur

Another vote for the 308!

1Cor15:19 I PM'd you a couple of times....you not getting them?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Another vote for the 308!

1Cor15:19 I PM'd you a couple of times....you not getting them?
    I don't know what the problem is but I'm not receiving them EKC.

PM sent....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks 1cor will have a look at gun & performance glad you noticed the recoil part sounds good rifle for the job again thanks.

thanks dug iv noted the above & it kinda sucks meaning with green card id have to wait a year though that would probably go in fast for me with other important stuff to see to

back country i did state my purposes caribo & dall are usually far reaching , this roughly lets you know the rifle im looking for is enough for the general idea . im getting the exact rifle im looking for so thanks guys all giving me a Gr8t choice to think about cheer`s again for sharing your knowledge to me

what about the 270 is this rifle to weak for 300yrds range ? as funny the 30/06 is mentioned again but the 270 goes further does it not !

270 is a great round as well. For 3-400 yards 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm08, and a very long list of others will all do the trick just fine so it becomes a matter of what you like. I agree with the others that 308 has by far the beat ammo availability and is hard to beat for hitting the mark to 500+ yards though so is a very good starting place. 2nd choice for me would be 30-06, not quite as accurate but still plenty so for hunting to 500+ and capable of pushing heaver bullets than 308. My advice would be get a good 308 or 30-06 and start hunting then branch out from there as you learn what you like and don't.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good advice ADfield was sett on a 270 but now iv fell for the rifle i want hook, line & sinker ( tikka t3 varmint) 300wsm or 308 ? whats the hardest & furthest hitting ? any idea the furthest range for caribo ? would it drop a moose ? very highly talked about for accuracy think 308 as you said adfield might be the boy more encouraging for the 308 but like to know difference between 300wsm ? please give their thoughts on these questions even negatives about the tikka much appreciated evry one who gives me advice or their take on it .

need4,
    The 308 is a great round and very capable of taking all the game you have mentioned. The 300wsm is definetly a more powerful round and can add some range and killing power and well suited for Alaska.
    As far as killing range that is much more on your shoulders as to "your" abilities. A skilled shooter with a 308 could easily take game farter out than a novice with a 300wsm so I would simply say either caliber will likely do all you need it to do within the limits of ethical shooting.
    As for moose only I would grab the 300wsm "if I had a choice" first but would not hesitate to shoot one with a 308 - its all about shot placement and knowing your personal shooting skills limits.....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Thumbs up smokey

thanks after doing some research yes the 300wsm is ossom as they say ! i watched also on utube firing range & it has a hell off a kick which im not a large framed guy in fact the opposite so i think id be blown away with it so better stick to the 308 . cheer`s yup placement shot always couldn`t live with myself being a shooters joe just to bring it down, it be a neck joining head shot or the heart & if i couldnt take it confidently id pass . thanks for letting me know smokey about 308 is capable good guy