Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the fishing spots at?

Default Where are the fishing spots at?

Ok so as most of you know Im new to the area. I dont really now my way around. So my question is how do you get to some of these fishing spots around here? Streams, rivers etc. Do you just park at the boat launch and hike into your fishing spot? Are there trails you can drive further down from the boat launch? Any help is appreciated.

c6,

This is a very hard question to answer. The biggest question I have is where is "around here"? You will get a lot better responses with useful details if you can help us out with that one.

At the top of this forum click on store and there are several books and maps on fishing Alaska. Couldn't be easier.

sorry. i live in anchorage right near base and hwy 1.

Keni, Russian all along the parks..

for spring trout, you ALMOST can't beat the parks highway streams (little willow, willow, montana, sheep, caswell) ust for the record, no matter what some people say, the little sue SUCKS! I don't know any directions from anchorage, but, at walmart, there is a book called "fishing the parks highway streams" or something like that, and it has a ton of info with maps and stuff. defiantly worth 25.00

I don't know the regs for ship creek, but if you can fish for steelies there in the spring, you might try it, I doubt there would be anybody there to laugh at you if you do something wrong (and trust me, some do) and there is alot of open area to cast and spread out your gear.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I don't know the regs for ship creek, but if you can fish for steelies there in the spring, you might try it, I doubt there would be anybody there to laugh at you if you do something wrong (and trust me, some do) and there is alot of open area to cast and spread out your gear.
    Don't bother with steelhead in ship. There's none in there. If you want to fish steelhead go south and fish the kasilof and anchor rivers.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

so can you actually fish in the parks or does it have to be on the border of the park?

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    so can you actually fish in the parks or does it have to be on the border of the park?
    Parks Highway streams i.e. Willow, Sheep, Montana, Little Willow etc.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Parks Highway, the streams heading north along the road system. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

When people say the Parks, they don't mean an actual park, they are refering to the "Parks HWY" streams.

Batmobile, I would suggest getting one of the books in the shop here.

I really liked the "Fly fisher's guide to Alaska". Probably my favorite one and I dont fly fish. Its just really great at at explaining which rivers to fish, how to get there, a bit about how to fish them etc.

The couple of hours it takes you to read most of that book will save you dozens of hours of online research.

Was well worth it for me. Good luck

P.S. I also liked Akauthors' book "Alaska fishing on a budget". It was a really quick read and gave me a basic understanding of distances to drive and run timings. Very good to start with.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Research a stream you are interested in and then once you get there just follow everyone else.

Some of the streams can get a bit crowded at times, but after awhile you will find that nice little spot that most of the crowds do not know about. I have a couple streams I have found that are not a great secret, but not many fish there for one reason or another.

The book suggestions given are good. Another one is called the "Highway Angler" or something like that. They all give maps, directions and basic times to go for various species of fish.

F&G stocks a number of the lakes with trout. You can check their website for stocking information and such.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Understood. Ive gotta learn the lingo up here.

Im gonna go try and pick up a few of those books tonight.

I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Im gonna go try and pick up a few of those books tonight.
    As mentioned above, the bookstore here has a lot of great books that will get you started in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post

LOL. I NEVER thought of that.

If you have an Iphone, check out the Fish Finder app. It's still having locations added to it, but makes it easy to map out locations, regs, and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtheroad View Post
    If you have an Iphone, check out the Fish Finder app. It's still having locations added to it, but makes it easy to map out locations, regs, and weather.
    Just downloaded it.

This app is awesome. Thanks for your time putting it together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast