Thread: Watering the Dog

Default Watering the Dog

I've been training my dogs for the last few months skijoring, having a blast and losing some weight . I can't run so usually I snow shoe or just hike behind them. What has become a problem is the fact that as it warms up and they still have their winter coats they tend to get hot (at least thats what I think I'm seeing) I frequently stop (about every mile or so) and kick a hole open to get them some water. Even back at the truck I keep their bowl and plenty of fresh water too. Problem is I can't seem to get them to drink much at all and I don't want them over heating or getting dehydrated.

Am I just being over causious and over reacting or should I be worried?
    Are there trick I could use like maybe carrying some broth and their bowl to tempt them to drink more?

I appreciate any help
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Yes baiting their water would work. Maybe take your trips earlier in the morning when it is cooler, though I know that's less comfortable for us.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Don't worry too much, you aren't going to slowly hike your dog to death.
    Carry a water bottle with you and teach your dog to take a sip out of it every now and then on hot days.
    Way to go on the weight loss, keep at it
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Thanks guys, they are house dogs so I prob just worry a little too much. Pups have been so good they got new harnesses, tug lines and a skijore line with a built in shock cord today . Can't wait to get out tomorrow.

Default I make dog soup!

My sled dogs will drink water if they are in the house or straight from the river in the summer on a hot scortcher day, but trying to get the to drink plain old water outside is almost impossible. I make up a thin soup to water them for winter on those longer mushing/trapline days. Usually I throw in a few dog crunchies, a bit of crumbled dried or fresh fish bread crumbs or whatever is handy and let it seep with ery hot water for a bit. Add cool water to temp then you got dog soup! They love it and are usually good to go for the rest of the day until dinner time

I am sure your dogs will be fine if they don't drink while out on the trail, but it is better for them and for your piece of mind if you can get some liquid into them before you go.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thank you AKGrandma! I will def try that this winter. I find myself sometimes wishing winter wasn't over yet (don't tell anyone). Just got my cast off 2 weeks ago. So hiking the pups in the warmer weather while they still have their winter coats made me a little nervous, but they've started shedding more and more. I figured better safe than sorry. Thankfully we have this kind of forum to share on!

yup, I know my husband will miss the winter mushing time, so will the dogs. But, we will be out boating, fishing and hiking with the dogs soon enough. They all love to run the shore chasing the canoe and boat, swimming in the river or just going for a boat ride with us. I've got a couple of dogs who are shedding pretty good, the rest will follow along eventually. 4 days of 50+ temps and counting down till breakup.

Best, Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Beautiful pups! I sent Mark a pic or two of mine on email, not sure if he still has them or not. Hope you guys have a great summer!