Thread: badger slough

Default badger slough

hows the ice look on the slough??? ive seen a few open spots....

The usual spots (each side of the coverts and bridges) are starting to open up. The area behind Badger gas is about half open. I have been checking a few spots for grayling each day but have not seen any yet. The lower portion of the slough is still completely frozen over. Maybe when that portion starts opening up the grayling will start coming in. Any day now I would think.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

i cant wait.... im going to try sunday

I would be surprised to see fish in the slough until the chena opens up. I believe the fish cant enter the slough until the river is high enough to allow them access, looking forward to seeing reports of fish being caught, it should be very soon. The canoe is ready, Good Luck.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I have never fished in the badger slough before,Is it only grayling or can you catch other things? Also is it catch and release or keep?
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

C&R only for grayling, pike and sucker fish can be kept. I had seen a dog salmon is the slough once...i think he was lost.

try bead heads or small white crappie jigs

Can I be a little something something and please No one take this the wrong way. There is actaully no Sucker fish. There are Suckers which is a type of fish and I know for the most part every one calls them Sucker fish in Alaska however they are just a fish and they are called Suckers. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...ose_sucker.pdf we have one type and it is the long nose sucker.

In some states they actaully have entire festivals: Check out Omer Michigan.

Sorry for pimping the thread and JMSS nothing on you just happen to wish we all understand the Sucker as a fish OBTW they are actaully very well received on the table in some places as in like Forest Gump Pickle Suckers, Smoked Suckers, Canned Suckers etc..

i pulled in to the slough behind badger gas and immediately i saw some one catch one. so they're in there ill let you know how it is tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    i pulled in to the slough behind badger gas and immediately i saw some one catch one. so they're in there ill let you know how it is tomorrow
    Catch one what? Was it a Grayling or Sucker?

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    Catch one what? Was it a Grayling or Sucker?
    Dawgone it AL I wish some guys would be more specific! I can't wait till our Tangle trip in Sept BTW!

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    Can I be a little something something and please No one take this the wrong way. There is actaully no Sucker fish. There are Suckers which is a type of fish and I know for the most part every one calls them Sucker fish in Alaska however they are just a fish and they are called Suckers. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ed...ose_sucker.pdf we have one type and it is the long nose sucker.

In some states they actaully have entire festivals: Check out Omer Michigan.

Sorry for pimping the thread and JMSS nothing on you just happen to wish we all understand the Sucker as a fish OBTW they are actaully very well received on the table in some places as in like Forest Gump Pickle Suckers, Smoked Suckers, Canned Suckers etc..

Yum pickled suckas, my other fav....I think they taste like char? Haha...thanks for keeping use straight on "long nose" suckas Moose. I take no offense. 8 )

:-) Many thanks it was not meant by any way shape and or from to be a dig on anyone. Long Live the Long Nose Sucker and its applications to the menu. I think I might be a long nose sucker because my wife just told me I suck and well I do have a longish nose. I care not to be pickled though that is unless it is a Crown and Coke and then well it's ok to be a pickled sucker. You all have fun fishing dem dare Grayling on Badger Slough.

Tight Lines to you all and do enjoy the "Great Weather"

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Dawgone it AL I wish some guys would be more specific! I can't wait till our Tangle trip in Sept BTW!
    Neither can I Its gonna be GREAT! I will also be in tangle lakes the first weekend of june.

so i went at about 12 and the fishing was slow.. as the temps warmed up the grayling "seemed" to be holding a little bit deeper... the fish were small but better than nothing...

I have fished Badger slough a lot in the spring but I have heard mixed things about whether the grayling are in there all summer or just in the spring. Any one know? I might just have to go "test the waters".

They are there all summer. Most are small, but I have seen a couple decent sized fish pulled out of there. I found that the best time for BS was in October right before the water starts to freeze up.

Thanks for the info. My girl asked about learning to fly fish and I figured the slough would be fun. Hope fully she will catch her first grayling Sunday morning.

Heres a little secret. Go a up the road on Richardson a few miles towards Bathing Beauty pond. Take a right and within a half mile you will hit the Piledriver Slough. Have her throw just about any #16 fly in the water and she will catch grayling like crazy (not the biggest but fun!). I did this with my girlfriend last year and she had a blast! Fish on!