Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Protection for the wife

Default Bear Protection for the wife

I am looking into a hand gun for my wife to carry while hiking with the dog and I am working offshore. I fell like my 44mag is excessive w/ its scope and long barrel & same w/ the 50 AE and that my 1911 may be a little light on the knockdown energy side. (No I don't want to start another thread on whether or not 45 ACP is good for bear protection) I was thinking maybe a 357 mag then she could shot 38's out of it to practice and put Buff Bores in it while hiking... Any thoughts? Something light enough that she will not mind carrying it but low enough in kick for a 130lb woman to shot.
    -JR

Quote Originally Posted by Gilliland440 View Post
    I am looking into a hand gun for my wife to carry while hiking with the dog and I am working offshore. I fell like my 44mag is excessive w/ its scope and long barrel & same w/ the 50 AE and that my 1911 may be a little light on the knockdown energy side. (No I don't want to start another thread on whether or not 45 ACP is good for bear protection) I was thinking maybe a 357 mag then she could shot 38's out of it to practice and put Buff Bores in it while hiking... Any thoughts? Something light enough that she will not mind carrying it but low enough in kick for a 130lb woman to shot.
    -JR
    I often only carry my S&W Model 60 3" with sights. and Cor-Bon 200 Gr. Hardcast. It is my go'to tool for Mtn. Biking the Back Country. (And yes a "Real-Man" would use something bigger, but I am a sissy girlie'man).

A Ruger SP101. Otherwise a Smith J frame with a short barrel. I bet she won't want to carry anything big or bulky if she is jogging/biking.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

She should be comfortable with the handgun. If she prefers revolvers then a .357 may be a very good choice. I'd lean more to a 4" barreled model as the recoil in a snubby .357 is vicious IMO. A bit more barrel and some more weight make it much more comfortable; something like a Security Six would be perfect. If she prefers a pistol then the .45 is not a bad choice. I've a Sig P220 in .45 acp and my wife enjoys shooting it and is proficient in its use. It is her normal carry weapon when she feels she needs one--in the bush or in town. Is it perfect for a bear? I doubt it. I do think it is better than nothing and nothing is what she'll actually need 99.99999999999999999% of the time for bears.

Given your situation I'd buy HER a handgun and let HER decide what's comfortable to shoot and carry. Otherwise you'll end up with another safe queen and an unarmed wife.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

How interested is she in committing to carrying and using this gun?

How much if any shooting experience does she have?

Is she actively shopping for something for her or just you?

In the end it's really going to come down to what fits her and what she's confident and proficient in using.
    Now what ?

My girlfriend carrys a Taurus Tracker in .41 Magnum with 4 inch barrel and ports. She loads it with Federal 250 grain cast core bullets. Its a nice gun to shoot , not excessive and with that load its up with the .44 without all the recoil.
    Last edited by danthedewman1; 04-20-2011 at 18:52. Reason: added more

Stevelyn she has told me 4 or 5 times in the last two months that she would like to get "her own gun" for taking the dog out. She has little experiance, she shoots my U22 at the range and thats about it for handguns. I have yet to take her out looking at handguns since I have only been off shore in New Zealand and now here in Louisiana for all but 3 weeks this year. I should probably start by having her shot my Kimber and go from there.

Thinking out loud here: Dose any manufacture make a single stack 10mm? Then she would have more umph than a 45 and the reduced recoil of the pistol... But not in a bulky chassis like the Desert Eagle.

Gilliand440,

Has she fired revolvers, pistols, or both? If the 44 is too large then work your way down on frame size/caliber. In revolvers, if the 41 mag is too much then the 357mag is a good choice, especialy since she can practice with the 38 rounds. I like 1Cor's suggestion of the 4" barrel and letting her make the decision.

As for auto-loading pistols, that gets more complicated if she's not used to it. I own and like the Glock 20, 10mm for my backpacking and non-city adventures here in TN...better than a 45 ACP, but NOT a 44 mag. If you already have a 1911, look at the link below and it may open up another option. I think the 460 looks like a viable option...not sure of the recoil but the advertising looks good. You can surf the forums for the 460 Rowland and see what others have to say about it.

Any of the more powerful handguns are better than nothing but remember, it's not a rifle. Hopefully she'll never need it for the reason you're getting it for her.

MyTime

http://460rowland.com/

PS: Some critters just don't die or run away easily. Read the attached, if you are not already aware of it. Kind of puts things in perspective. Look at the 10th and the 11th paragraphs in the "Discovery and Investigation" section.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Thinking out loud here: Dose any manufacture make a single stack 10mm? Then she would have more umph than a 45 and the reduced recoil of the pistol... But not in a bulky chassis like the Desert Eagle.
    YES! There are several 1911 variants out there that are chambered in 10 mm.

One more thing and I'm done for the night... Kinda looks pretty good to me...beats my 10mm.

http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORBON-Hun...20/300/Product

Have a great night, y'all.

MyTime

Default S&w 329 pd

If your wife has large enough hands consider a 329 PD. It is light enough so it won't weight her down and she will actually carry it instead of leaving it at home.

Use .44 Specials to acquaint your wife with the gun and load it with reduced recoil mags to carry.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    If your wife has large enough hands consider a 329 PD. It is light enough so it won't weight her down and she will actually carry it instead of leaving it at home.

Use .44 Specials to acquaint your wife with the gun and load it with reduced recoil mags to carry.

-JR

Buffalo Bore loads a 255 grain FPRN hard cast in 45 ACP to about 950 FPS that would make a formable load in the 1911

Allow your wife to pick the handgun that she wants, other wise she probable will not keep it with her. Any gun is better than no gun

Default what SHE wants...

Excellent point. I'd guess something light and easy to use but I learned long ago to never try and second-guess any woman!

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    Allow your wife to pick the handgun that she wants, other wise she probable will not keep it with her. Any gun is better than no gun
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Getting a big bore airweight for a womans first gun is a bad idea, period. Get her a heavy for caliber(.44,.357) gun and have her shoot the specials until she decides it's time to move up a class. On the other hand, a 329PD would be an excellent choice for an experienced female(or male for that matter) shooter.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I still say .41 magnum....best of all worlds. heh

I would agree that a Tracker in .41 magnum would be a cool gun. Light, affordable, and a neat caliber.

Not to affend any female shooters out there, but I would lean more towards getting her a revolver though the advise to let her try different weapons and pick for herself is wise! The reason I would try and steer her to a revolver is simplicity. My wife and 2 daughters only have slight interest in handguns. They all struggle to rack the slide on Glock's, Sig Sauer's, or any 1911 they have tried, and I have tried to work with them until they loose interest. They also seem to get confused easily by any safety lever, de-cocker, or slide release since they do not have the burning desire to master the weapon and there are multiple designs. I could think of nothing worse than having one of them packing a semi-auto and have a rare but always possible misfire/dud and then struggle to chamber another round against a bear, either 4 legged or 2! I also concur with the advice of a good 357 with a 4" barrel. Might not be ideal, but if practiced up using light 38's and familiarized and carried with heavy cast 357, she would be fairly well armed IMHO.

Girlfriend loves her tracker..tailwind..The .41 is an awesome caliber and way overlooked. Like its the .44 or nothing else beneath it...Please. Its also nice to both carry the same caliber. I carry a .41 mag in a Ruger Blackhawk with 6 inch barrel, SA.
    Last edited by danthedewman1; 04-21-2011 at 22:16. Reason: more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast