Thread: how to degrease moose skull for euro mount.

Default how to degrease moose skull for euro mount.

So I've got it all cleaned up and need to degrease. Problem is finding something big enough to stick that moose head in. Recommendations? I can stick nose down in a five gallon bucket, but that doesn't reach to eye sockets. Can turn the other way, ie base of skull first, but I still miss the sockets. Need some help as I'm not real creative.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Moose are tough in this regard!! The angle on antler come out side of skull and dips below the skull.

Options are a Kiddie swimming pool (blue Walmart specials) with antlers partially submerged. Or a custom made enclosure with way to wrap and seal antler base to hold water above the water seal to the degrease the forehead. Then a way to heat the water. Either way a lot of time, $, and effort messing with it to do it right!

Get a 55 gal. plastic barrel and cut it down with a sawzall to the size needed. Use water and a gallon of pool bleach mixed in. I did a buffalo skull that way. I degrease my skulls with camp gas(Coleman) soaking for about 5 days and then air drying for about three. Boiling a skull that large will be a problem unless you cut down a steel 55 gallon barrel and build a fire under it. Best of luck.

Steam is the best way I have found to do large Skulls, jsut stuff it in a bag and rap the antlers so they dont get steamed and stuff a hose in there and steam away. It takes about three hours and it will be ready for the bleaching process.

Does steam have same harmful effect as boiling a skull?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Take it to car wash and use pressure wash (hot soapy water) and then pressure rinse. Be careful around the nose bones, unless you don't want them intact. Once clean and dry get some hair bleach from the beauty supply store, hydrogen peroxide at least 40%, and make a paste and coat skull with hair bleach paste and let sit until dry. Scrub dry paste off with tooth brush and let dry. Re-do bleach process until you get the desired whiteness you want. DON'T use house hold chlorine bleach unless you want to ruin the skull.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

You will get the best finished product using beetles or maceration, but I used a cut down 55 gal drum and a propane stove to heat the water to loosen the flesh and a pressure washer to finish it. Back in the soapy water to degrease, whitened with similar method to the one posted by OH, and used plastic resin melted in acetone to seal it.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

HWK...what produces the steam?