Thread: Engine flushing

Default Engine flushing

Quick question, what is the recommended amount of time to flush your motor after exiting salt water?

Thx.

I flush my suzuki for 10 - 15 minutes minimium after it warms up, but I am picky and water is cheap. engines ain't
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I have never flushed an outboard that we used in the salt. But have flushed an enclosed cooling system (heat exchanger) inboard for a minute or two to maybe help prolong the manifold life.
    Tennessee

I flush ASAP after exiting the salt, regardless of what type of motor it is.
    I don't see any harm in flushing the equipment. Its a good time to hit the deck, rods, reels, etc...while your running the motor for 20 mins.
    Salt Away is a good product to add to the rinse water to reduce corrosion. I have been using it for a few years and it seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I flush my suzuki for 10 - 15 minutes minimium after it warms up, but I am picky and water is cheap. engines ain't
    The 140 has internal anodes, 4 on the left side, have you ever removed to clean?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Sir yes Sir

Plus the one on the lower unit. replaced. Like water, they are cheap. Covered with Suzuki silicone seal plus check the bonding wire before every trip. plus new oil and filters every year

But then again I change the oil (synthetic) and filters (not cheap Fram) in my vehicles every 3000 miles also.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Most excellent.......
    I dont run my boat in the salt but once or twice a year, still there was some buildup when I serviced this winter.
    I just wonder how many folks that do their own maintenace bother to check em?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

My manual for Yamaha outboards recommends 20 minutes fresh water flushing after saltwater running